over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For Johnzilla aka Mountaindawg

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Here's my top set of squats (365) from today, 3-second negatives (I think I may have cut some a little short :eek: )
This was after all the leg extension and leg curl pre-exhausting you outlined, then I worked up in squats w/ 135, 185, 225, 275, 315 (all 8 reps, 3 second negatives).
Then on to hacks as you outlined, then finished with smith machine stiff legs (my lower back was too pumped for the dumbbell stiff legs). You ever do smith stiff legs? Great movement.. so easy to isolate the hams.

YouTube - Video 1

Great set, constant tension... slow negative... fairly explosive on the way up and for good reps and no lockout. Always enjoy your vids shelby.

I love the slow negatives...if people really understood the importance of tempo as John, Dante and Polqin have talked about endlessly in the past they'd find how fast their gains would rocket in both size and strength.

Those were freaking awesome - perfect tension, explosive, control...no bs bouncing...awesome - damn I want to go back in and do legs now.....KICK ASS

JM

Shelby, it was hard to tell how low you went on those from the camera angle, looked close to parallel? Do you ever go lower? Great set btw.

Those were freaking awesome - perfect tension, explosive, control...no bs bouncing...awesome - damn I want to go back in and do legs now.....KICK ASS

JM

Agree 100%. The tension you kept on the movement is impressive. Could have went a bit lower but dont think it would have made a difference with the tension and control of the movement you made.

Aweomse Shelby.

massive i agree.. when i owned my gym the members used to ask why i did my negatives so slow.. the reason was always that it felt better and i had more control.. perfect negative is followed by a perfect positive.. it also allowed me to use a bit less weight and still get that feel as my joints always have been a issue.. but now a days we see many of the top guys using fast explosive partial movements and most have gone to that .. copying what they see.. not saying that style does not work.. it does.. but slow negatives have a place and many should explore that..

Here's my top set of squats (365) from today, 3-second negatives (I think I may have cut some a little short :eek: )
This was after all the leg extension and leg curl pre-exhausting you outlined, then I worked up in squats w/ 135, 185, 225, 275, 315 (all 8 reps, 3 second negatives).
Then on to hacks as you outlined, then finished with smith machine stiff legs (my lower back was too pumped for the dumbbell stiff legs). You ever do smith stiff legs? Great movement.. so easy to isolate the hams.

YouTube - Video 1

Nice work Shelby! Did the same workout Saturday, but when i got to Hams the DB stiff leggs were too much for lower back. I've never thought of doing those in the Smythe but sonds like it would be a great movement.

Going ot have to run that by Johnzilla :)

Shelby, it was hard to tell how low you went on those from the camera angle, looked close to parallel? Do you ever go lower? Great set btw.

That was probably a hair above parallel... pretty close though.
That's the depth I usually go to but sometimes I'll drop lower.

lookin good man !!!

:)

a few weeks out from jr.'s i did 500 for 8 reps with the same workout, I was truly suprised, I like the fact of doing hamstrings first in my workouts with john as it helps the sciatic nerve pain i get when squatting when i have pumped hamstrings, and i can squat so much more. johns workouts are no fucking joke!!!!! MAN UP OR THROW UP!

OFF TOPIC

hey shelby is was cool to watch your twin brother get his pro card, man that guy is gracefull, he flips with such ease, you can tell he must have been a pretty damn good gymnast (spelling). I laugh everytime i see him cause damn he looks just like you with those glasses on...LOL

a few weeks out from jr.'s i did 500 for 8 reps with the same workout, I was truly suprised, I like the fact of doing hamstrings first in my workouts with john as it helps the sciatic nerve pain i get when squatting when i have pumped hamstrings, and i can squat so much more. johns workouts are no fucking joke!!!!! MAN UP OR THROW UP!

^^^^ I did both of these during John's last leg workout :eek:

It's crazy how after you do quite a bit of volume, you're exhausted, you don't think you can move anymore weight, then you hit it from a different angle, or a different movement and boom...you're crushing it again.

Shelby, I loved those squats, it feels great when you're already pumped up doing those. I think having the extra stability after pre-exhausting actually allows me to stabilize myself more and still push some pretty damn solid weight.

hey shelby is was cool to watch your twin brother get his pro card, man that guy is gracefull, he flips with such ease, you can tell he must have been a pretty damn good gymnast (spelling). I laugh everytime i see him cause damn he looks just like you with those glasses on...LOL

Yah I was happy (but honestly a bit surprised) to see him get it (though I did think he was the best out of that callout.. I just thought they'd give it to Jon or Smalls).
He was certainly in condition but man, he never gets his color right. I talked to him about it at Nationals last year.. and this year it looks like he just didn't even bother to put ANY color on, lol.
It will be interesting to see how he pans out on a pro stage.

^^^^ I did both of these during John's last leg workout :eek:

It's crazy how after you do quite a bit of volume, you're exhausted, you don't think you can move anymore weight, then you hit it from a different angle, or a different movement and boom...you're crushing it again.

No kidding, after working the hams into oblivion then some leg pressing, you think when you go to squat with a 3 second negative with one and a half reps you wouldnt be able to go too heavy but after a few sets the weights right up there surprisingly! I love the leg workouts!

then finished with smith machine stiff legs (my lower back was too pumped for the dumbbell stiff legs). You ever do smith stiff legs? Great movement.. so easy to isolate the hams.
have never done deadlifts using a smith machine probably because the smith machines at my gym stop a good 18 inches from the floor maybe could stand on a bench or plateform? Sometimes my lower back gets really pumped too making stiffs damn near impossible

have never done deadlifts using a smith machine probably because the smith machines at my gym stop a good 18 inches from the floor maybe could stand on a bench or plateform? Sometimes my lower back gets really pumped too making stiffs damn near impossible

yes stand on a bench - you will love this movement... no lower back at all..just hams.

yes stand on a bench - you will love this movement... no lower back at all..just hams.

Out of curiosity where are you placing your feet relative to the bar for these?
Not width, but in front of the bar, just under the bar, etc.

I have to give these a go.

Look at the squats he does midways throug the vid... I know it´s for the camera but holy depth, control and pause at the bottom with 405

**broken link removed**

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner