over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

? for the guys who train DC

Thebigone

Kilo Klub Member
Been doing it for years and love it. But i've always wondered something. There have been some days where I was really tired and just didnt want to hit my 2nd and 3rd set after only 15 breaths or roughly 30sec. So what if you wait like a minute or a little more inbetween each RP set instead of 30sec. If you can end up lifting heavier weight with more reps this way, wouldnt that equal better growth?

Wouldn't that just be three straight sets with a minute (or more) in between each?

During a blast i see no room to vary the rest pause scheme. If you NEED to take some extra time to complete the set and beat the log book, you need to do one of 4 things. cruise, analize your diet, analize your previous nights rest, or analize the exercise...maybe its time to drop that exercise for something else. . Stick to the rithym of the rest pause set as its laid out and allow the outcome to decide the necessary action.

Im no expert in DC but, from what ive read this seems to be the way to go about it.

if your having one of those days just cut it off at an all out straight set or even do 2 straights after a normal rest. log it and move on. but if this becomes a habit every workout then your probably ready for a cruise.

Been doing it for years and love it. But i've always wondered something. There have been some days where I was really tired and just didnt want to hit my 2nd and 3rd set after only 15 breaths or roughly 30sec. So what if you wait like a minute or a little more inbetween each RP set instead of 30sec. If you can end up lifting heavier weight with more reps this way, wouldnt that equal better growth?

As long as you beat the log books then give it a shot....I train with DC type styling and I've adjusted my pauses to suit me considering the exercise.....Just do what feels good while still keeping the intensity.

During a blast i see no room to vary the rest pause scheme. If you NEED to take some extra time to complete the set and beat the log book, you need to do one of 4 things. cruise, analize your diet, analize your previous nights rest, or analize the exercise...maybe its time to drop that exercise for something else. . Stick to the rithym of the rest pause set as its laid out and allow the outcome to decide the necessary action.

Im no expert in DC but, from what ive read this seems to be the way to go about it.

So you've actually "only" read about DC training.....yet your advising on it...??

I would listen to SuperD.

I would listen to SuperD.

HAHA! Naah....

Seriously though I do think that maintaining a consistent time for the rest pause intervals is key. Otherwise it is going to be difficult to ascertain whether you're actually progressing or not. 30 seconds tops is a good range to be at which is 12-15 deep breaths for some though for those guys who breath so damn slow that 15 breaths ends up being 2 minutes lol maybe just keep an eye on that gym clock second hand and cap the rest at half a minute each time

I guess the ? im getting at is, what is the benefit of doing the traditional dc 3setRP opposed to just training dc style but doing 3sets with longer rests inbetween. For example lets say your doing a behind the neck press smith with 315 and normally you do 8reps, take your 12-15deep breaths, do 4reps, take breaths and then 2reps. Thats 14 total reps which falls into the dc range of 11-15reps. BUT, what if you did 315 for 8reps, took a minute break and got 6reps, then took another minute and got 4reps. Thats the same weight but you have now done 18reps with the same weight. Wouldnt this yeild more overall growth? Or is there some type of growth that occurs with only 30second breaks?

3 straight sets would be more taxing than the usual rest pause, you don´t want to add stress on bad days. On paper it could look like a good training sesion but in the grand scheme of things you are doing the most grueling workout in a day that you are down and maybe starting to ask for a cruise, that could lead you to the overtraining route... that could lead to more "bad days" that you would solve training more than usual with the 3 straight sets... before you know it your blasts would last a couple weeks less... that´s my opinion but the bottom line is: listen to SuperD, he has been there done that himself and with a gazillion trainees so knows what works and what not... but I would say do 1 or 2 straight sets or skip that day

I guess the ? im getting at is, what is the benefit of doing the traditional dc 3setRP opposed to just training dc style but doing 3sets with longer rests inbetween. For example lets say your doing a behind the neck press smith with 315 and normally you do 8reps, take your 12-15deep breaths, do 4reps, take breaths and then 2reps. Thats 14 total reps which falls into the dc range of 11-15reps. BUT, what if you did 315 for 8reps, took a minute break and got 6reps, then took another minute and got 4reps. Thats the same weight but you have now done 18reps with the same weight. Wouldnt this yeild more overall growth? Or is there some type of growth that occurs with only 30second breaks?

The idea is to think about a rp as one set where you give everything you have, if you rest too long it´s not one set, and the extra volume would interfere recovering... also most of the extra reps you get from the rp are extremely hard and near failure... those are the reps that realy count, so with rp you are getting the benefits of 3 failure points and posibly 5-7 hyper hard reps with minimal volume so you can recover and be ready to fight in 3-4 days... that´s the key, geting the most stimulus with the less volume. Doing 11-15 reps failing 3 times and 5-7 of those reps being "man making" reps is efficiency at it´s best.

It's like Super D said, now it's just 3 straight sets, it's not really DC anymore. I know what your saying, but the 3 rest/pause sets are essentially supposed to be one 10-15 rep set, don't look at it as 3 seperate sets, that's why the rest is short, just to kind of continue the first set. Also, now you're up to 18 reps, when do you knock it back down, at 18 instead of 15 reps? Give it a shot, you'll never know until you try I guess.

I just said kind of what Betito said, sorry, just walked in the door from work, need a nap

I also think it's important to see why you are having a bad day ... I feel like if it just happened once, ok, no biggie. But, since you asked it seems like maybe you want to change something in the training more often.

Which you do cruise right?

But, also why are you not progressing?

Diet
Sleep
Stretches
Consistency
Over Consistency

Now, don't take offense to any of this but ... on the net everyone seems to respond to criticism with all the right answers ... but in the real world in the gym they rarely do.

For example, I listed diet ... and I feel you will probably say all that is on point and even tell me the grams. But, I have never once in the gym ... or very, very rarely get a real answer. If I asked you how many grams of protein and carbs you take in ... you may fire off the answer. In the gym when I ask people just say a lot.

Once you look at the real #'s many people fudge them.

Now if you have everything in check great, but if you don't be honest with yourself because you are only cheating yourself.

Now, if all is on point ... maybe something just needs a change. With the training though I wouldn’t adjust that too much. Maybe cruise if you’re not ... but something I have found that works is to cruise and come back a few weeks earlier in your log book and start there ... I ... and I say I usually go right through my previous stall.

Also, just want to mention I know a lot of people who do DC type training, or rest pause type training. Don't do the stretches and at some point minimizes the rotation with the movements, many end up doing one or two they enjoy.

But, each tweak off the path you have really left the program and if it stalls just get back on the path.

Ok ... so if you want really good feedback, be 100% honest. You don't even have to tell us I guess, just fix some obvious things wrong and re-evaluate.

I know one guy who thinks he does DC...

Who doesn’t eat like he should, sleep like he should, stretch like he should, rotate movements like he should.

I think for those struggling with DC they should put a GUILLOTINE in front of your neck on the hammer strength bench. If you don’t beat your log ... wham :)

Go home eat and sleep and come back.

I may be odd but when I think DC I think of someone who would leave teethe marks in a steel bar... Just tear it the F up.

Last edited:
So you've actually "only" read about DC training.....yet your advising on it...??

you should join a reading comprehension board.

Where does it say he's read about DC but hasn't trained DC? Oh yea, it doesn't. What he was trying to say is that those are the op's best options instead of making the rest longer. The only variables that should change in a blast training wise (imo) are bigger weights, more reps, and longer stretching. Maybe you could drop an exercise if you picked a bad one but if you've done enough research on exercise choice, it usually won't be a problem.

Two weeks ago I did 290 on pulldowns for a total of 17 reps. Yesterday I did 310 for 14. The one and only thing that changed was the weight/reps. Not only are the breaths important (again, IMO) but keeping the rep speed consistant is also important. Pulldowns for example, if I pulled the 290 down with all my intensity and had a 4-5 second controlled negative on the way up (this is how i like to train DC) 2 weeks ago and got 17 reps, but this week DIDN"T control the negative and did 290 for 20, is that beating the log book?? ..... No If you're taking 20 breaths instead of 15?? No

you should join a reading comprehension board.

Where does it say he's read about DC but hasn't trained DC? Oh yea, it doesn't. What he was trying to say is that those are the op's best options instead of making the rest longer. The only variables that should change in a blast training wise (imo) are bigger weights, more reps, and longer stretching. Maybe you could drop an exercise if you picked a bad one but if you've done enough research on exercise choice, it usually won't be a problem.

Two weeks ago I did 290 on pulldowns for a total of 17 reps. Yesterday I did 310 for 14. The one and only thing that changed was the weight/reps. Not only are the breaths important (again, IMO) but keeping the rep speed consistant is also important. Pulldowns for example, if I pulled the 290 down with all my intensity and had a 4-5 second controlled negative on the way up (this is how i like to train DC) 2 weeks ago and got 17 reps, but this week DIDN"T control the negative and did 290 for 20, is that beating the log book?? ..... No If you're taking 20 breaths instead of 15?? No

I wouldn't get too cute :rolleyes:

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...-forum/58493-my-gf-physchs-me-up-so-well.html

HAHA! Naah....

Seriously though I do think that maintaining a consistent time for the rest pause intervals is key. Otherwise it is going to be difficult to ascertain whether you're actually progressing or not. 30 seconds tops is a good range to be at which is 12-15 deep breaths for some though for those guys who breath so damn slow that 15 breaths ends up being 2 minutes lol maybe just keep an eye on that gym clock second hand and cap the rest at half a minute each time

Super D? In real life?! LOL...how have you been sir?!

Actually learn to read first. Then maybe if you paid attn once in a while youd know ive been training DC for a good year now. Fantastic gains, i however cannot claim to be an expert on it. My knowledge comes from some of the great members here and over at IM who were kind enough critique my program and diet. Super D and dusty being 2 who were especially helpful.

I may be odd but when I think DC I think of someone who would leave teethe marks in a steel bar... .

been doing dc for years but never managed to do that ...:)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws