YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For those members who do decline bench press.

purelifting

Registered
How do you do your decline bench press?

I used to put 2 25's under the bench, but Phil told me to add 2 more for more of an incline.

This thread is to see what other members do in the gym. Please do not flame.

My gym has a decline bench station already at a set angle. I wish it was a tad steeper but it works.

most gyms have those steps used in step classes. I used to put one of those on 2 risers under the end of a bench to make a decline bench.

I do declines in the smith machine.

Ive used the smith machine but sometimes feel like i put to much stress on the shoulders since its not the perfect motion for you to do decline

I would do the decline machine but is is kinda hard to find someone in the gym who can hand me 100lb db's in each arm.

There is always one plate underneath the bench I use. It seems to be enough. It's certainly at least a 45 degree angle down, my shirt always falls down.

my gym has an adjustable decline. I set it at a slight decline. I pick up the dumbells and swing them onto my lap as I sitdown. Then I just lay back and let them tip into position.
I can do this up to 140's although sometimes I struggle getting both onto my thighs. If I go over 140s I have someone load me by putting the dumbells on my thighs while I sit on the bench.

I haven't done decline in like 5 years, put way too much stress on my shoulders even with just 225 just dose t feel right. plus I've watched a lot of pros working out in vids an Interviews and never seen any of them do it. most said that u get enough stimulation in the lower pecs from flat bench but I'm no expertI'm doing fine without it.

Lazy and busy :)

I haven't done decline in like 5 years, put way too much stress on my shoulders even with just 225 just dose t feel right. plus I've watched a lot of pros working out in vids an Interviews and never seen any of them do it. most said that u get enough stimulation in the lower pecs from flat bench but I'm no expertI'm doing fine without it.

Not you, me :).... I'm at work right now and don't have the time to go into explanation, but do a search GS, I think you'll like what you read... I know I have at least one post explaining the biomechanics of it. As far as the pro's, well, one, they're "freaks", two- maybe they would have had better chest developement sooner had they done declines? (I know mine improved ALOT when I started them) and three- actually, some pro's do them (Phil and Jay Cutler <though Culter does them on a Hammer>)

Again though, if you do a search, I think you'll find some good arguments for the move :)

Edit: Oh, about the shoulders... that's interesting b/c typically it takes strain off of them... I wonder if the angle of the bench and/or your arms weren't ideal? OK, really need to get back to work :D

Last edited:
Pain?

my gym has an adjustable decline. I set it at a slight decline. I pick up the dumbells and swing them onto my lap as I sitdown. Then I just lay back and let them tip into position.
I can do this up to 140's although sometimes I struggle getting both onto my thighs. If I go over 140s I have someone load me by putting the dumbells on my thighs while I sit on the bench.

Is it an adjustable "sit-up" bench Knuckle? That's what I use. I ask b/c on the sit-up one you have to lock your feet and I think it would be impossible for me to do that without tearing an oblique on either side trying to lift the weight.

I put one dumb bell on the bench, then lock myself in holding the other dumb bell, then I have someone put the first dumb bell upright for me to grab and roll back.... but I also need someone to get me "started" on the first rep... the weight pushes my hands so far in my pits and elbows so bent I have NO mechanical levarage to get up the heavy sets.

Is it an adjustable "sit-up" bench Knuckle? That's what I use. I ask b/c on the sit-up one you have to lock your feet and I think it would be impossible for me to do that without tearing an oblique on either side trying to lift the weight.

I put one dumb bell on the bench, then lock myself in holding the other dumb bell, then I have someone put the first dumb bell upright for me to grab and roll back.... but I also need someone to get me "started" on the first rep... the weight pushes my hands so far in my pits and elbows so bent I have NO mechanical levarage to get up the heavy sets.

Yes exactly a sit up style bench. So I start off standing wtih a db in each hand and carefully step in to position my feet correctly then swing the dumbells so they are in front of my thihgs and sitdown in one motion. So I end up with the dbs sitting upright on my thighs. I squeeze them together as I roll back, this way they are right on my belly, high enough so I can get them up for the first rep. If they slide to the side too far they end up in my armpits like you said and I can't get them up. I just drop them. Don't want to get hurt.
Its nice to have a spotter that can grab my wrists as i roll back to assist getting them up when going over 140lbs. Its gotten quite easy for me to do with 125s but like I said, I struggle with the 140s by myself.
Also let me add, Phil got me doing decline and it is simply the best thing I have ever done for chest. no shoulder pain no problems at all. And the chest is thicker then ever.

Tomorrow I will try doing four 25's. Ill see how it goes. I can can't do the sit up bench because there is no way to safely get the weight up.

WOW...

I am always looking to lower the angle not make it steeper.

Never see a bench that wasn't steep enough, almost all of them are too steep IMO

15% decline is all you need

:cool:

^^^^ Amen, too much of an angle is counterproductive when trying to obstain from shoulder strain/injury IMO. I use both slight incline and decline and have managed to keep my shoulders fairly healthy *knocks on wood*

This is two 25lb's under the bench. I was told it was not enough and to increase it to four.

Attachments

• hytjtyjdtjtd.jpg
    hytjtyjdtjtd.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 527
Yeah thats not enough in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear