advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For those of us with low HDL (A lot of us)

Adonis89

Registered
How to Raise HDL - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I'm posting this so there can be discussion about the content, not the author. Please reserve any personal thoughts or judgements about Paul. No single person is going to be right or wrong about everything, but there is certainly some interesting and relevant content here which focuses more on the nutritional side of intervention rather than the pharmaceutical/nutraceutical side.

Some personal notes:

Some of us apply the intermittent fasting or carb fasting approaches, however for bigger guys it really doesn't work that well. The amount of muscle carried on a larger frame usually increases glucose/energy utilization and needs to the point where prolonged fasting is not really an option, and carb fasting can be applied for short periods of time (portions of the day, or maybe a few days at most).

I do think it is healthy and physique-benefiting to cycle carbs, both within a given day and within a given week. Doing so allows for periods of the day which can probably afford a lower carb intake (possibly meals with none besides veggies). In this instance, I think the coconut oil supplementation is best suited for these low carb meals. I would highly discourage people from adding short and/or medium chain fats to higher carb meals (a recipe for lipid disaster, IMO).

I really do wish there was more intelligent discussion and exploration on promuscle about the intricacies of lipid alterations by androgen use.

A lot of us experience both low HDL and LDL, while maintaining a favorable ratio. Some of us experience low HDL and high LDL, thus a lousy ratio. If I had to choose, I'd say the former is a better alternative.

Granted, both diet and androgen play significant roles (weighted more toward diet) in lipid metabolism and balance. That said, there's the low carb camp, and the low fat camp. Then there's the middle camp who choose to cycle both fats and carbs within a day (i.e. John Meadows). I think this middle camp typically achieves the best health-result balance.

Minor note - I do think there is excessive emphasis on "EFA" intake among the low carb camps and the middle ground camps. Yes, they're essential, but in small amounts. I think the guys eating lots of nuts/nut butters and things are probably doing more harm than good.

Paul mentions dairy fat. While I think butter and butter oil (Ghee) are great sources of fat, I think they should be highly reserved for low-no carb meals. If you're combining carbs and fats, then I think the fats of choice should be mostly monounsaturated, i.e. EVOO, Avocado.

In summary, the trend on here seems to be a lot of gear talk, with a side thought of "oh just take some niacin or whatever" and not enough serious thought about optimizing nutritional habits around AAS use.

Last edited:
My genetics oer determine me to have low hdl....but as you mentioned carbs only around workouts. All other times coconut and fishoil with a serving of almonds a day.

I've had great success with gw5016 and niacin. Now going to give injectable reservatrol a run due to its other heath benifits the last 2 weeks of my blast I add novla at 10mg and lower the ai and continue through cruise (8week blast 4week cruise)

Combined with the above diet, sups and HIIT cardio I've gone from 8 to 50 hdl. And lowered my ldl quite a bit.

Alpha has stated he has great results with 2-3g EPA+DHA, 1/3Cup unroasted unsalted almonds, and 1 avocado daily.
If that doesn't work to fix it, Niacin can be considered.

Alpha has stated he has great results with 2-3g EPA+DHA, 1/3Cup unroasted unsalted almonds, and 1 avocado daily.

This is good as I love my almonds and always take my fish oil. Like avocados but there expensive in UK and I use wall nuts almonds and olive oil as my fat sources for a balance of cost vs nutrition

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I'll have to search that. I have low HDL likely because of genetics (history of heart disease in my family) but also I've used steroids on/off since '95. Now that I'm nearing my mid 30s, a father of two I'm more interested in my health than when I was a young ignorant 20 year old pumping gear lol.

Keep in mind that "HDL" on a blood test is not how much actual HDL lipoprotein you have in your blood, but instead how much cholesterol is being carried by the HDL lipoprotein. So low total cholesterol can equal low HDL.

Keep in mind that "HDL" on a blood test is not how much actual HDL lipoprotein you have in your blood, but instead how much cholesterol is being carried by the HDL lipoprotein. So low total cholesterol can equal low HDL.

good point.

My genetics oer determine me to have low hdl....but as you mentioned carbs only around workouts. All other times coconut and fishoil with a serving of almonds a day.

I've had great success with gw5016 and niacin. Now going to give injectable reservatrol a run due to its other heath benifits the last 2 weeks of my blast I add novla at 10mg and lower the ai and continue through cruise (8week blast 4week cruise)

Combined with the above diet, sups and HIIT cardio I've gone from 8 to 50 hdl. And lowered my ldl quite a bit.

was this while ON?

Another thing to consider, as the author also points out, is that it's important to differentiate between light fluffy HDL and the more dense HDL carrying immune cells.

What have you had success with?

This is good as I love my almonds and always take my fish oil. Like avocados but there expensive in UK and I use wall nuts almonds and olive oil as my fat sources for a balance of cost vs nutrition

If I had to choose 2 of the three (almonds, avocado, EVOO), I'd choose the EVOO and the avocado. Almonds are easier than avocados for sure though.

I find nuts somewhat pro-inflammatory and allergic. Almonds treat me the best of all of them though, next to macadamia nuts.

If I had to choose 2 of the three (almonds, avocado, EVOO), I'd choose the EVOO and the avocado. Almonds are easier than avocados for sure though.

I find nuts somewhat pro-inflammatory and allergic. Almonds treat me the best of all of them though, next to macadamia nuts.

I get on pretty well with nuts and spilt then evenly over 6 meals. There a bit easier on the wallet where I live too and seen to keep me feeling slightly more full so not click watching quite so much for next meal

I get on pretty well with nuts and spilt then evenly over 6 meals. There a bit easier on the wallet where I live too and seen to keep me feeling slightly more full so not click watching quite so much for next meal

Have you seen noteworthy increases in HDL or improvement of overall HDL/LDL from doing this?

Perfect thread for my personal situation....

Right off the bat I'll say I was slacking on taking my fish oils and almonds previous to getting bloods done.

LDL was 90, HDL was 21...

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

A few notes on nuts and especially almonds.

Your best bet is getting raw and truly raw almonds are difficult to source since they still pasteurize almonds and call them raw.

We soak all nuts and then dehydrate making them easier to digest as the enzyme inhibitors only can be removed by soaking first.

Have you seen noteworthy increases in HDL or improvement of overall HDL/LDL from doing this?

This I can't answers. There just a good fit for my macros and seem good for body comp. I never ate them for this reason. I just do a 3 way spilt with olive oil almonds and walnuts for my fats for simplicity and cost. Got my food choices to the point I feel good look good (relatively speaking) and digestion is good. Never bloated or watery abs even in growing season. I don't all our bulk anyway

This I can't answers. There just a good fit for my macros and seem good for body comp. I never ate them for this reason. I just do a 3 way spilt with olive oil almonds and walnuts for my fats for simplicity and cost. Got my food choices to the point I feel good look good (relatively speaking) and digestion is good. Never bloated or watery abs even in growing season. I don't all our bulk anyway

I dropped about half of my olive oil for organic first press coconut oil.
mainly for cost. I eat an avocado a day if I can get a good price.

I juice a lot of vegetable for my vitamins...I have ibs jucing them helps
and ive been eating a lot of seaweed. Very cheap at an Asian market and 3x better than any land vegetable for you.

I dropped about half of my olive oil for organic first press coconut oil.
mainly for cost. I eat an avocado a day if I can get a good price.

I juice a lot of vegetable for my vitamins...I have ibs jucing them helps
and ive been eating a lot of seaweed. Very cheap at an Asian market and 3x better than any land vegetable for you.

I've heard that about seed weed looks disgusting though. I use my veg to try and pack out my meals a bit as lean gaining can leave you a little hungry at times. I miss that full belly feeling from my bulking days but not the full belly look haha. I just mix in 1500g mixed veg evenly between my 5 carb meals. Cauliflower, broccoli, pees and carrots in a pre mix. Covers most bases quite well I think. I use a cheap multivitamin to be sure though.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner