over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For those of you training under Phil...

Good point Dave

I'm pretty sure I would have never torn my pec if I hadn't gone all the way down on the presses that I chose to do.

The first injury two+ years prior to surgery, I felt the injury at the bottom.

The second (major ) injury which required reattachment of the tendon... it tore after pressing a few inches off my chest.

On my rehab training days for chest/delts/triceps, it feels better to stop short at the bottom and even at the top. My pecs still get painfully sore.

This is why floor presses are so valuable.......it is the perfect place to stop before rotators come into play and the pec major is not in control of the lift......when the focus comes back on the pec major from rotators about 1/2 way up injuries generally occur.......only go 1/2 way down if doing traditional bench presses

For those of you training under Phil, if you guys don't mind me asking, how many sets of side lateral raises do you do in a workout? 2? 3? 4?

I have decided to ditch shoulder pressing completely and just do side lateral raises. I plan on doing the side lateral raises on the day I do a chest/shoulder/tri workout. I was wondering how many sets of side lateral raises I should do after doing 3 sets of flat bench and 3 sets of incline bench.

For example:

Chest/shoulder/tri day

1. Flat dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
2. Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x8-10
3. Seated dumbbell lateral raises (that's what I'm wondering, how many sets should I do???)
4. Tricep push downs 3x8-10

If you guys don't feel comfortable responding, I totally understand.

You need to post pics before you address Phil. :D

Why do 3 sets of both Flat Bench and Incline Bench in the same workout? Why not alternate instead?...
Because flat hits the pec major sternal head (as seen here: Pectoralis Major (Sternal Head) ) and incline hits the pec major clavicular head (as seen here: Pectoralis Major (Clavicular Head) ). There are EMG studies that show that flat hits the clavicular head pretty good but there are also EMG studies that show that incline REALLY hits the clavicular head...so why not do both?

Could you realistically JUST do flat bench and build not only the sternal head...but also the clavicular head? I may be wrong but I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure I would have never torn my pec if I hadn't gone all the way down on the presses that I chose to do.

The first injury two+ years prior to surgery, I felt the injury at the bottom.

The second (major ) injury which required reattachment of the tendon... it tore after pressing a few inches off my chest.

On my rehab training days for chest/delts/triceps, it feels better to stop short at the bottom and even at the top. My pecs still get painfully sore.

Exactly why I never have clients or myself go all the way down on benching. Always have them stop about a fist or sometimes a bit higher above the chest. This also alleviates any bouncing issues and keeps the bar in control from start to finish.

Last edited:
my shoulder is feeling no pain w/ not going down more than 75%, and not locking arms out on reps really makes lighter weight go further, if that makes sense. I f'd my shoulder up by NOT listening to Phil's guidance. If you don't know what you're doing, i suggest you hire one of the pros on here to help you, best $ you'll spend...

So, to beat a dead horse even more... I should not take the bar to my chest on bench press but keep it at least 4 inches or so from my chest?

Also, on military presses, how far down do you guys bring the bar? I find about the level of my nose is the most painless for my shoulders and seems to keep the weight more on the muscle than the tendon.

What do you guys think?

Being that Phil mentioned floor presses I would think upper arms coming parallel to the floor while benching

So, to beat a dead horse even more... I should not take the bar to my chest on bench press but keep it at least 4 inches or so from my chest?

Also, on military presses, how far down do you guys bring the bar? I find about the level of my nose is the most painless for my shoulders and seems to keep the weight more on the muscle than the tendon.

What do you guys think?

Think Lou Ferrigno in Pumping Iron.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY5woMdv4A

Last edited:
Been doing Phil's workout and love it. Really lit the fire under me again.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws