over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

? for those that use Niacin

MrDeflation

Registered
Does no-flush Niacin work just as well as regular Niacin?

I cant stand the flush anymore... its very annoying!

I use 500mg 2x daily of no flush to control lipids. No flushing at all but not sure if its helped with lipids. Too hard to tell when you take 20 other things to help as well :)

The regular flush-free kind is all that ever put a dent in my cholesterol total. Makes me look like a lobster sometimes though.

My experience is that flush-free doesn't do a thing for cholesterol. Others might not agree with me but that's how it's been for me.

Also, when you high dose regular Niacin, make sure to get enough vitamins and minerals in you because it "carves" other nutrients out of your system by binding to them. (i think that's how it works with cholesterol too.. the flushing effect comes from your capillaries expanding)

One way I've heard to use Niacin is by cycling it, starting with a low dose, 50-100mg, and moving up over a course of 10 days or so. Then you take a break for a week, let your capillaries get back to normal, and start all over again. During the break you make sure to replenish your vitamins and minerals.

Doing it this way the body doesn't get used to the expanding effect of Niacin, and you get a continuous positive reaction health wise.

There are various forms of no-flush niacin. The only one that I am aware of having a positive impact on lipid profiles is inositol hexanicotinate. It boosted my HDL by 11 points. Good luck!

Take 1/2 an aspirin or 1/2 of a Goody's powder 30 min before and the flushing effect is MUCH less. All the research I've seen shows that the best effect with the least liver stress is the Nicotinic Acid or Crystaline Niacin.
If I forget my aspirin, my daughter calls me "Itchy Man"

Last edited:
I take simcor which is extended release niacin for my lipid panel. I've had no flushing with it at all. I take mine with a small snack at bedtime.

NOW Foods makes a time released niacin. Slight flushing. Don't take 2 in 24 hours :p

Flush free has no impact on HDL.

I take simcor which is extended release niacin for my lipid panel. I've had no flushing with it at all. I take mine with a small snack at bedtime.

I currently take simcor also. The stuff turns me beat red. I only take 1/2 of the prescribed amount and my tryglicerides have improved dramtically. One thing I do notice that sometimes the reaction is worse than others. I wonder I the dose is alway the same in each pill ?

Title: The Role of nicotinic acid and inositol hexanicotinate as anticholesterolemic and antilipemic agents.
Author: Abou El Enein, Ahmed M. : Hafez, Youssef S. : Salem, Hassan. : Abdel, M.
Citation: Nutr-Rep-Int. Los Altos, Calif. : Geron-X, Inc. Oct 1983. v. 28 (4) p. 899-911. charts.
Abstract: Extract: The role of nicotinic acid and inositol hexanicotinate (IHN) as anticholesterolemic and antilipemic agents was discussed. The administration of these compounds to both normal and induced hypercholesterolemic Buscat rabbits as hypocholesterolemic and hypolipemic agents was studied. Daily feeding of a dose of 30 mg/kg body weight of either nicotinic acid or IHN to normal rabbits resulted in slightly decreased serum total lipids, triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol. The effect of nicotinic acid and IHN administration on hypercholesterolemic animals was a significant reduction of elevated serum lipid fractions and body weight. Marked decreases of serum total lipoproteins (alpha, beta, and non-mobilized fractions) were also noticed after administration of these drugs with lowest levels reached at the end of the experimental periods. (author).SP$ISSN: 0029-6635SP$VOLUME: 28SP$ISSUE: 4SP$PAGE1: 899
Review References: None
Notes: Includes 23 references.
Language: English
Publication Type: Article
Keywords: None
URL: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jnutbio

W. Kruse1, H. Raetzer1, C. C. Heuck1, P. Oster1, B. Schellenberg1 and G. Schlierf1
(1) Klinisches Institut für Herzinfarktforschung, Medizinische Universitätsklinik, Heidelberg, Germany
Received: 18 December 1978 Accepted: 14 March 1979
Summary The effect of nicotinic acid and several derivatives on the nocturnal level of free fatty acids was studied in 12 healthy young women and men. Free fatty acids are an important precursor of plasma triglycerides and their concentration is highest at night. The drugs used were nicotinic acid, -pyridylcarbinol, mesoinositol hexanicotinate and xantinol nicotinate. The highest plasma nicotinic acid level was observed with -pyridyl-carbinol, but significant reduction in free fatty acids during the entire night was only achieved with inositolhexanicotinate and xantinol nicotinate. There was no correlation between the plasma levels of free fatty acids and nicotinic acid at any sampling time. If prolonged reduction in free fatty acid concentration is desired in the therapy of hyperlipidemias, the inositol and xantinol esters of nicotinic acid appear to be superior to the other preparations.
Key words nicotinic acid - lipolysis - plasma free fatty acids - chronopharmacology - plasma levels

I couldn't copy the entire text, but here is a link to a PDF discussing Inositol Hexanicotinate with references. Hope this helps.

**broken link removed**

Slo-Niacin is good and cheap slow release version. If your doc put you on Niaspan you should look into this, much cheaper. Its available at walgreens OTC. I take it before bedtime( docs orders) 2x750mg pills. I have noticed when i havent drank alot of water prior I tend to have the flushing affect but If I do its much less than with Niaspan.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100148&id=prod3595

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar