over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

For those who have torn a pec.

thomasfouraker

Registered
I tore mine back in August and am having some issues bouncing back. Just had a few questions for those who have been down this road. Anything else you feel necessary to add please do so! Thanks!

What were you doing when you tore it?

I was flat bench pressing 405 for a few reps and felt it tear.

Was it a full tear (pec rolled up) or partial?

Mine was a partial.

Did you go to the doctor/have surgery/let it heal by itself?

Let mine heal naturally and now have a nice indention where the injury occured.

How long until you got back comfortable lifting decent weight? How much time did you allow your chest to heal?

Now almost 6 months have gone by and I still feel it and am scared to bench over 225.

For those who continued to workout and grow, did you alter your workout to accommodate the injury? If so how?

I have lightened all weights lifted and when I do a pressing movement I dont touch my chest but rather stop about 2 inches before it.

I tore mine back in August and am having some issues bouncing back. Just had a few questions for those who have been down this road. Anything else you feel necessary to add please do so! Thanks!

I was flat bench pressing 405 for a few reps and felt it tear.

Mine was a partial.

Let mine heal naturally and now have a nice indention where the injury occured.

How long until you got back comfortable lifting decent weight? How much time did you allow your chest to heal?

Now almost 6 months have gone by and I still feel it and am scared to bench over 225.

For those who continued to workout and grow, did you alter your workout to accommodate the injury? If so how?

I have lightened all weights lifted and when I do a pressing movement I dont touch my chest but rather stop about 2 inches before it.

Well...
Partial tear muscle from muscle...pec minor tore. Was flat benching 350 and on the 10th rep it tore...sounded like a washcloth being ripped...no pain just shock at what happened...happened at the top of the rep.

Had 2 mri's that answered nothing just what was already hypothesized...ortho said cannot sew muscle to muscle b/c sutures wont hold so let it heal naturally...thus, i have a good size divet from the minor insertion.

I tore mine almost 3 years ago...and today i am still working on top end strength...i was back to training within 7 days of the injury...i personally started at rock bottom...the bar plus 2 dimes...every session increase by 5...i tuck my elbows as well...good luck!

I had a complete tear with surgery.

If you hurt your chest bench pressing... don't bench press ever again.

I competed 10 months after having surgery. I had to find new exercises and angles for chest. I still can't flat bench. I've played with barbells, but I simply can't anymore. My chest still grows. Listen to your body and think outside the box on this one. Find what suits you. Let it rest and stick to exercises that feel okay. Oddly enough, the Freemotion chest machine at LA Fitness is a great angle for me. I never would have used it before.

I had a tear very similar to yours last December. I stayed away from anything above light warm up weight with chest for 2/3 months and gradually built my way back up to a decent strength level within 6 or so months. My advice is to just take it VERY easy and if you feel any pain when your in the gym just stop that exercise as it will only make it worse.

Tore mine in a car accident. Of all the tears I've had I've never torn anything in the gym. All were from doing a unexpected reaction movement. My muscles are used to slow, controlled resistance but when forced to 'snap' immediately to respond to something is when they've all torn.

Partial tear, diagnosed to be 30% at the time. Over the years it is now closer to 45%. It has continued to slowly get worse

Went to three different doctors and it was not deemed necessary to fix as it was strictly cosmetic from the physicians, and insurances, point of view

Never. Not really as 'decent weight' is a pretty big variable. I will never be as strong on any chest movement as I was pre-tear due to the biomechanics being totally compromised and different. Any pressing movement over moderate weight and I roll my shoulder on the pec tear side in to the movement.

I have lightened all weights lifted and when I do a pressing movement I dont touch my chest but rather stop about 4 inches before it.

I had a complete tear with surgery.

If you hurt your chest bench pressing... don't bench press ever again.

I competed 10 months after having surgery. I had to find new exercises and angles for chest. I still can't flat bench. I've played with barbells, but I simply can't anymore. My chest still grows. Listen to your body and think outside the box on this one. Find what suits you. Let it rest and stick to exercises that feel okay. Oddly enough, the Freemotion chest machine at LA Fitness is a great angle for me. I never would have used it before.

Is that free motion machine individual cables for each arm sitting upright? Other than presses, flys and dips, are there really other chest building exercises?

Ive torn both my left (first)..right (second)...Im a slow learner I know:D
Both times sounded like both a wet towel ripping and board being snapped in half at the same time...
Both times required immediate surgery
Both times were Flat B.B. bench press
Both times were a couple weeks after workouts where I'd get up to around 500lbs for a 1RM
Both times I was repping around 365 and both times happened on about 6th rep.
Both times I was completly off any AAS for many years, but had played with some OTC PH's about 2-3 months prior to injurys...
Both times my tendon started rupturing from humerus first then must of hit a "sticking point" and then the muscle took the load and it ripped...2nd tear I tore much more muscle and while I have 100% function, cosmetically it is not perfect...the first tear and surgery is 100% both functionally and cosmetically.
Full recovery was probaly a bit over a year for me both times
I do not do any flat bench press at all anymore.
I can do inclines, declines, various cable flys and many of the hammerstrength type machines ive found to be very good and I have found weighted pushups to be absolutly awesome. These are my favorite and my chest is much more developed now then it was prior to the injuries. I still train heavy on all movements, Ive just learned what movements work best for my body and keep me safe.

Last edited:
I was benching 380 when I tore mine. It was a partial tear, approx 30%. I did not have surgery. I took off completely for 3 months (which I hated. Longest 3 months ever, lol). Came back benching the bar. Took me over a year to get back up to the 400 lb. range, due to both physical and mental limitations. Mentally, it's still plays with me when I go over 315. There is a deformity compared to the opposite side. Ever since, I do a hell of a lot more stretching.

Partial tore my left pec about 10 years ago, no surgery. Took months before I did chest again. You can see an indentation in my pec when I flex it. I am however a lot stronger now then I was back then. The reason I hurt mysel is because of the flaring out of my arms. I think lots of guys hurt themselves because of that. I rarely ever barbell flat bench anymore but when I do I use a powerlifting technique.

Partial tore my left pec about 10 years ago, no surgery. Took months before I did chest again. You can see an indentation in my pec when I flex it. I am however a lot stronger now then I was back then. The reason I hurt mysel is because of the flaring out of my arms. I think lots of guys hurt themselves because of that. I rarely ever barbell flat bench anymore but when I do I use a powerlifting technique.

This.

I powerlift, and have maxed out on different bench exercises every week for years, I think a huge part of the problem is also bar placement, too many people place the bar so high, all the stress is on the pec/delt tie in. Upper back and trap development is also critical to proper bar placement,

tear

I got a problem every time I bench sharp pain in shoulder were armpit and anterior delt meet flat incline hurt like hell what can I do to build muscle and power can not afford surgery please help at a impass

Bench Press, practicing my pause press for a power lifting meet.

full

I had mine surgically repaired

16 weeks before I was lifting again. The doctor was very conservative with me. I am glad he was. I didn't compete for 4 years following the injury.

The only real change was I don't Flat bench anymore. I still compete. In some poses I have a 1 inch deep pit where the pec inserts, but for the most part it is not that obvious.

Bench Press

Full

Surgery 4 days after the accident.

Still not lifting decent weight. Everything else but chest is ok, working chest still is a huge mind fuck

Lighter weights, higher reps, slowed down my rep speed and no bench press ever again

See above

I got a partial tear warming up with 365, my best single was 485. I just let it heal naturally, I never went over 405 again but I did get 315 for 22 reps.

Anyway that was 14 years ago and these days at almost 50 I never go over 315.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a partial tear warming up with 365, my best single was 485. I just let it heal naturally, I never went over 405 again but I did get 315 for 22 reps.

Anyway that was 14 years ago and these days at almost 50 I never go over 315.

22 reps at 315Lbs twice a week, 4 sets total each workout, I would imagine would built some serious pec density. That's really good weight, Brotha!!!
Very impressive!

Tore my right pec minor completely off the bone. Never got surgery. Regret it now ...

Again

Deep bench and deep squats are 95 % the reason for muscle/tendon/ligament tear violations. Lift within ur boundaries and keep form to an absolute for proper joint capsule extension not hyper extensions and ull lift injury free for a long long time.. commonsense.. pro

22 reps at 315Lbs twice a week, 4 sets total each workout, I would imagine would built some serious pec density. That's really good weight, Brotha!!!

Very impressive!

The 22 rep set was a one time only thing. After the pec tear I focused more on reps than weight.

My most recent feat of strength a few months back was 40 push-ups every 5 minutes starting and ending at the top of the hour for a total of 520 push-ups.

A buddy of mine got 1,000 push-ups in an hour, maybe someday...

Hope you feel better man. Torn pecs are a bitch.

doing a second paused triple with 455. Last rep heard a loud pop at the insertion into the front delt armpit area.

Mine was a partial. But I also tore two large nerves that insert in the pec major.

let mine heal naturally. Not a full tear but a bad one.

Tore mine in July. Took a full 3 months off from benching and actually stopped flat pressing for now.

no more bench for now but way more volume and higher reps. Like I mentioned earlier, I tore the medial and lateral nerves in my pec so I have about 50% numbness on my right pec. Still good muscle activation and look, but to the skin I can barely feel anything :(

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws