over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Former addict turned bodybuilder???

Simon_454

Registered
We all know the bodybuilding lifestyle is a very addicting, who here is a former addict weather it be drug addiction, alcoholism or other addictive tendencies have turned to bodybuilding as a way coping and filling the addiction?

Last edited:
I replaced a serious alcohol and downward spiraling lifestyle problem with bodybuilding. Best decision of my life.

Same here , i suffered from alcoholism ,but the gym and lifestyle keeps me straight and alive .

It's extremely common. A drug addict becomes a gym addict. Displacement

bodybuilding helps me.
always has.
-JS

Me, I had a ghb problem for years...hit home lastnite when at My bday party someone I hadn't seen in yrs bought Me a bottle as a gift, I kindly declined...I think My lifestyle change hit home with those I hadn't seen in a bit when they are crushing vodka/jack/tequila bottles and I wasn't doin ice louge shots with them

I'll tell You working out hasn't replaced addiction but wanting to wake up early, feel healthy and get to the gym today all helped

Last edited:
I didn't have addiction, but I know it has helped me from falling into depression.

Me, I had a ghb problem for years...hit home lastnite when at My bday party someone I hadn't seen in yrs bought Me a bottle as a gift, I kindly declined...I think My lifestyle change hit home with those I hadn't seen in a bit when they are crushing vodka/jack/tequila bottles and I wasn't doin ice louge shots with them

I'll tell You working out hasn't replaced addiction but wanting to wake up early, feel healthy and get to the gym today all helped

What's up Ghead? Did you ever get into the Renewtrient? I have years of my life when I never ever came off the g. I was one happy camper 100% of the time, but I acted very, very young too.

Bodybuilding has been such a blessing for me! Helped me with all kinds of things including addiction!

What's up Ghead? Did you ever get into the Renewtrient? I have years of my life when I never ever came off the g. I was one happy camper 100% of the time, but I acted very, very young too.

Yeah it was a phase in My life I'm glad to be out of...completely forgetting things You did, being too messed up in public places...no more glad its behind Me and I make better decisions across the board these days

I spent a great deal of my early to mid-twenties with a pretty serious drug problem. Cocaine, Ecstasy, hallucinogens, and alcohol. I was going down a bad road, heading either to jail or my death. Bodybuilding has without a doubt helped me turn my life back around.

Last edited:
Recovery and bodybuilding go hand in hand for me. Started training when I got clean and sober. I try to practice the principles of recovery in this lifestyle. Balance, humility, and consideration for others. Not always an easy task as most bodybuilders are self centered and selfish by nature.

I went through 10 years on and off with opiate addiction and hit some all time lows with addiction. Bodybuilding helps for sure when it comes to living a clean lifestyle and turning things around. Im glad you posted this topic, its good to see other addicts on here. :headbang:

Bodybuilding has saved me numerous times and continues to do so. My life would not be as impactful without bodybuilding. Something about it keeps me grounded and working harder to be better than the day before in every aspect.

Bodybuilding is the reason I can have 2 grand cash in my room and not go down and blow it at my local drug dealers house.

not to be a dick but changing one addiction or compulsive type behavior for another is not a cure, you simply just switched drugs ( though typically are still engaging similar chemical pathways ) which is why its easy to transition from drug addict to bb addict. especially since the core of the bb lifestyle for most is centered around drug and supplement use.

drug abuse is rampant in the bb lifestyle, as is the focus on chemical stimulus, be that food, sup or drug.

I have also know many addicts that have transitioned to other life through AA or NA or similar. none have over come addiction they simply switched drugs. rather street drugs they use cigarettes, coffee and sugary foods. they are still addicts, they are just behaiving in more socially acceptable ways.

the only reason I know this is because I am genuinely fucked up, just like most addicts, my brian and brain chemistry are not normal I am driven towards chemical producing activities because my brain is deprived of the normal chemistry that occurs in people who are "normal", "happy" and "well adjusted" .

there is no cure, ill never be better as in permenintly I am only as good as my collective reason and will power in any given situation and in all probability will be volatile until the day I die.

this is why I am compelled and somewhat obsessed with training, diet(ing) and this whole bb sort of lifestyle. at its best it forces us to be honest with ourselves, not just for right now but in general especially if you try and learn from it.

sure I want a cookie, but will eating that cookie bring me closer to or further from my immediate goal.

sure I want to be big lean and muscular, if I take this giant cycle, it may help in the short term, but could it be detrimental in the long run?

In the big picture I think this life style can help but I also think it can be an easy trade off for one drug behavior to another.

I know two people who turned there life around with bodybuilding and training, one is an ex heroin addict who had a child with another heroin addict and fought tooth and nail for full custody of the child, He now owns a small business and gets up at 8:00am to train every morning before taking his kid to school. I have nothing but respect for him.

The other was an M-kat and alcohol addict, who went through ounces of the stuff, selling, swapping, using etc. Similar story to the other guy, however he has the best genetics I have every seen, he uses 1ml test 1ml tren for 10 week cycles and has grown into an absolute monster by eating 2-3 meals a day, even when off a cycle he looks geared up out of his brains.

Its funny how people swap one addiction for a completely different one! however I doubt a guy would break into someones house so he could get £40 for 10ml of test, crack heads however...

I am a recovered drug addict and alcoholic. I started lifting like a gym rat at age 13. Drugs and alcohol pulled me away for a few years.
I am back. Yes, I am obsessive about bodybuilding and working out. But nothing like a real addiction that renders me powerless in my life and makes my whole life unmanageable.
Nothing like that.
But I do love working out. I am not the same if I miss a workout. I get on these boards and try and find all the info I can.
But it's not in the same league as a "real" addiction.

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear