over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fortitude Training!

Guys, this is fucking awesome to read! Making use of the program Versions, Tiers and auto regulatory and logging flexibility is exactly what I had hoped folk would tap into. HUGE KUDOS and THANK YOU!!!

-S

I really want to focus on arms for a training block. Homon, I am looking at the tiers....if I am reading it correctly it looks like the highest volume of weekly biceps exercises is 4 "sets" (2 x pump and 2x MR). Is this correct?

I really want to focus on arms for a training block. Homon, I am looking at the tiers....if I am reading it correctly it looks like the highest volume of weekly biceps exercises is 4 "sets" (2 x pump and 2x MR). Is this correct?

Tier III calls for a single MR for biceps (Day 3) and Two pump sets on Day 1, but for arms for the vast majority of people it's a matter quality of training vs. quantity as well as simply bringing up body mass.

A trainee with a few years of newbie growth under his belt wanting to ad an inch to his arms is not likely to do that (despite what you'll see advertised ubiquitously... LOL) unless he is getting larger everywhere. A 200lb'er with 17 inch arms after 5 years of training won't get 18 inch arms staying at 200lb in most cases.

So you can modify the volume as you see fit, of course. If you're on my discussion board (see FT e-book purchase email), I've answered this one umpteen times (go figure! LOL) and made it a FAQ in the FT section.

I suggest there making sure you're using the right exercises, making PUMP SETS DIABOLICAL and not skimping on the stretching.

I'd check this, too:

-Scott

I started back with Fortitude today. I did tier 1 upper load/lower pump. I’m going to do 4x a week until September when my schedule gets crazy and then move to the family plan. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s progress.

Does the ebook "The Virgin Voyage: A Basic Fortitude Training Program for your First Blast" contain samples for both a 3 day split as well as a 4 day split?

Does the ebook "The Virgin Voyage: A Basic Fortitude Training Program for your First Blast" contain samples for both a 3 day split as well as a 4 day split?
No, the 3 day / per week "Family Man Plan" is not in the Virgin Voyage daily trainer.

I don't suggest folks actually buy that or the other daily trainer - you miss out on the flexibility and auto-regulation that is important in FT. (The daily trainers don't really have "samples," they are daily workouts with specific exercises. You'd have to adapt them though to fit what you have available.)

When the FT book came out, I started a discussion board (see your purchase email) that's free to book purchasers to make sure everyone can carry out FT (assuming they're willing to come on to the board, read and ask questions). I've answered just about every FT related question (and many more) over the years, and try to send folks there who have Q's about FT (to save my time and theirs). This thread / board is an exception b/c I know thousands of folks frequent the board here.

I was begged and pleaded to make those daily trainers and when I finally did, I don't think any of the people who asked for them actually bought one! LOL They are "FT on training wheels" which is TOTALLY OK for some who learn better by doing, or who maybe have a bit of a language barrier, but following FT as a system (exercise selection, auto regulation, etc.) is a more effective way to train, IMO.

-S

No, the 3 day / per week "Family Man Plan" is not in the Virgin Voyage daily trainer.

I don't suggest folks actually buy that or the other daily trainer - you miss out on the flexibility and auto-regulation that is important in FT. (The daily trainers don't really have "samples," they are daily workouts with specific exercises. You'd have to adapt them though to fit what you have available.)

When the FT book came out, I started a discussion board (see your purchase email) that's free to book purchasers to make sure everyone can carry out FT (assuming they're willing to come on to the board, read and ask questions). I've answered just about every FT related question (and many more) over the years, and try to send folks there who have Q's about FT (to save my time and theirs). This thread / board is an exception b/c I know thousands of folks frequent the board here.

I was begged and pleaded to make those daily trainers and when I finally did, I don't think any of the people who asked for them actually bought one! LOL They are "FT on training wheels" which is TOTALLY OK for some who learn better by doing, or who maybe have a bit of a language barrier, but following FT as a system (exercise selection, auto regulation, etc.) is a more effective way to train, IMO.

-S

Thanks Scott for clarifying that. So, the 3 day/per week plan is just included in your regular Fortitude Training ebook?

Thanks Scott for clarifying that. So, the 3 day/per week plan is just included in your regular Fortitude Training ebook?
No problem!

Yes, the three day a week "Family man Plan" is in the FT e-book. (It's just an example of how I took the Basic Version and combined Days 3 & 4 into one training day, tailoring it for a client. This will make sense if you pick up the book. :) )

-S

Tough program, loved it! Didn't destroy my joints. Used it last time I was serious about bodybuilding. Will be going back at it again soon since I plan on doing the masters pro show next July in the 50+ class.

Tough program, loved it! Didn't destroy my joints. Used it last time I was serious about bodybuilding. Will be going back at it again soon since I plan on doing the masters pro show next July in the 50+ class.
Right on, man! (The "didn't destroy my joints" part is not to be underestimated!)

-S

Scott I know in the book you give rest times. In the old serious growth the rest times changed and sets increased to build fatigue before pulling back. Do you think that rest time and volume is still a strong variable to include for progression or on the grand scheme of things do you think weight and or reps is still the best progression method. Thanks

Scott I know in the book you give rest times. In the old serious growth the rest times changed and sets increased to build fatigue before pulling back. Do you think that rest time and volume is still a strong variable to include for progression or on the grand scheme of things do you think weight and or reps is still the best progression method. Thanks

CC,

Good Question! I'm not familiar with how rest intervals are altered to foster progression in Serious Growth, but this is certainly a factor that could be periodized.

A few other thoughts:

The rest intervals I have in the Basic and Turbo version (for Loading sets) are there as a compromise between allowing decent recovery, but also keeping workout times to a reasonable period of time, especially given that the Loading sets involve "zig-zagging" where you're alternating between isolation and compound movements. There's a practical limitation here if you're to hold on to more than one machine (which isn't always necessary - other story there), as well as to create the pre-fatiguing effect (e.g., but doing a knee extension just before squatting, to preferentially target the quads), so not having 7 minutes between sets makes sense, especially if you're someone who does better with the higher volume tiers.

The idea of progression / changing rest times is such that (as I understand it) one would presumably build fatigue resistance, for example by shortening rest intervals but maintaining load and reps performed. A strategy then of course would be to cycle back to shorter rest intervals and manifest the performance gains underlying the greater work (density) capacity by using higher loads (with longer rest intervals), only to start the process over again. Underlying this is kind of performance gain would be both greater muscle physiological cross-sectional area (size) as well as perhaps some metabolic changes (enzymes, myosin isoforms).

With FT, the other set types (Muscle rounds and Pump sets) are more metabolically engaging, and would presumably train those same underlying adaptations I mention above, with perhaps the advantage that one could target the relative focus on load vs. workload engagement under metabolical stress (higher rep sets) by choosing workloads for the Muscle rounds that were heavier vs. lighter (failing earlier vs. later in the MR's) as well as how one chooses to do the Pump sets (e.g., 15-20rep straight sets vs. 5's into the hole type sets with tons of partial reps, etc, lasting 60s or so).

So, to get at your question, the bottom line is that there will have to be some progressive form following function principle at work to evoke size gains such that the loads a/o reps get higher a/o the rest intervals are reduced.

For some - I think this works better for the more genetically gifted, where adaptation to the overload of weight training tends toward hypertrophy generally - this can happen with higher volume sets and lower rest intervals. The Tension is high (enough) and recovery abilities high enough to recover from the substantial stimulus of doing a TON of work. Think of a Pro who was not terribly strong, but did a ton of sets and looked ridiculous. Think perhaps Phil Heath, Flex Wheeler or maybe Paul Dillet here.

For others, where genetics are not as great, including recovery, the focus may need to really be on a progressive tensile stimulus - Heavier loads taken to extremes with very careful attention to total volume and recovery. Think Jordan Peters here.

Naturally, there are all kind of hybrid situations in between and the most incredible bodybuilders are often this who can get away with (at least for years) training with massive weights with high volume. Think the GOAT here: Ronnie Coleman.

As mentioned in a another thread, the guys at Oxygen work with pretty much the only genetic elite (check out the Muscle Minds Podcast where Brandon Curry came on and we talk about this). They go to town with tons of volume such that if you can't recover, you don't hang and aren't around too long. (These guys just don't train there that long...)) If you can recover, this means you're also reaping the crazy stimulus that comes with doing high volume ,lower rest interval (and heavy load) training: The greater the stimulus you can recover from, the greater the growth you'll get.

-----------

So, in the grand scheme, I'd say that manipulating both rest interval and load / reps can be put to good use, but the context of the rest of training should be taken into account. (If a metabolic stress component is already in place, elsewhere, adding this to a training system by using short rest intervals and neglecting heavy loads wouldn't be my choice.)

For someone who is not making progress, has gotten really strong and has not tried training with "heavy" loads with shorter rest intervals, though, I'd say that this would be a wise way to introduce a novel stimulus to promote growth. This could be done with a daily undulating periodization or a linear periodization approach or anything in between. :)

-S

Brilliant thank you. Sorry should have explained yes they basically build over a 3 week period and increase 1 set per week 3/4/5 then also decrease 30 sec so 120/90/60 forcing to tread into overtrain over reach then pull back to 3 sets and 180 sec rest To allow a catch up/sling shot forward to hopefully additional growth.

Brilliant thank you. Sorry should have explained yes they basically build over a 3 week period and increase 1 set per week 3/4/5 then also decrease 30 sec so 120/90/60 forcing to tread into overtrain over reach then pull back to 3 sets and 180 sec rest To allow a catch up/sling shot forward to hopefully additional growth.
You're welcome!

That sounds like a pretty fun way to get down n' dirty in training, actually. I can see it being to much, depending on the baseline volume someone can handle. (Again, not sure how it's all formulated.

Maybe you're starting out a meso cycle with volume that's relatively easy to recover from. Also, too, I would imagine the loads have to come down (and thus the overall volume, even though set # is increasing) when you're cutting your rest interval in half (from 120-->-->60 seconds).

-S

@homonunculus my schedule is crazy for the next 3 weeks and I can only train on Saturday and Sunday. How would you suggest I train these next few weeks? I was thinking of doing muscles rounds from the turbo template to hit every muscle 2x in 2 days.

Thanks

The fortitude book is the best science based training book I've ever read.. and I've bought them all.. . I always want to know why I'm doing something.. its clearly outlined in this book.. so worth every dime..

The fortitude book is the best science based training book I've ever read.. and I've bought them all.. . I always want to know why I'm doing something.. its clearly outlined in this book.. so worth every dime..
I agree,the way Scott programs the intensive cruise is brilliant.You just continue the blast without having to drop poundages.

@homonunculus my schedule is crazy for the next 3 weeks and I can only train on Saturday and Sunday. How would you suggest I train these next few weeks? I was thinking of doing muscles rounds from the turbo template to hit every muscle 2x in 2 days.

Thanks
Hey PL!

Sorry for the delay - Yeah, that's a good call, but if you're coming around not for the 2nd weekend like this, you might try doing one of the following;

Sat: Loading Sets: Full Body
Sun: Pump Sets: Full Body
(I like this option better, as I think it would be a bit safer and you can autoregulate what you do for the Pump sets - exercise to work around wherever you might be really sore, # of sets / Volume Tier and Pump set execution.)

or

Sat: Day 1
Sun: Day 2

-S

Thanks, man! Hoping to get up your way sometime in the next year or so! (Maybe if only to hide out from the coming zombie apocalypse! LOL)

-S

I agree,the way Scott programs the intensive cruise is brilliant.You just continue the blast without having to drop poundages.
Thanks, Brother - Really happy with how that works out for most everyone!

-S

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear