over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

free weight v. machine

engbulldog

Registered
Its been a few years since I used any type of machine ... I just started going to the YMCA with the wife on the weekends to change it up a bit ,and all I can say is I haven't been this sore in years!!!! I knowthat free weights use more stablelizer muscles , and since I lift with no spotter in my garage I dont go crazy heavy but I up the reps, run drop sets and all kinds of wierd stuff but just doing normal sets 4-6 with reps @ 8-12 with a machine why am I this sore?????

you cant train core w/ machine. deads, squat, one arm db clean and press,... and if can find access to a gym w/ strong man equipment countless others. a routine from machine is a poor strength training routine. strength and intensity is part of fitness.

what are your normal rep ranges. u said u do higher reps and drop sets. if ur rep ranges are higher normally than when u did the machines id just say u shocked ur muscles from something different just enjoy the soreness and know thats muscle growing

You can get more development out of a balanced mix of free weights and machines than just one or the other. I know this sounds blasphemous but with the machines available now if I had to pick between the two I'd pick machines. I use EVERYTHING in a gym(cept the swiis balls). I love gyms with 20 different chest machines cuz every one of them hits you different and is great for growth. Hell I saw a machine at metroflex.

You can get more development out of a balanced mix of free weights and machines than just one or the other. I know this sounds blasphemous but with the machines available now if I had to pick between the two I'd pick machines. I use EVERYTHING in a gym(cept the swiis balls). I love gyms with 20 different chest machines cuz every one of them hits you different and is great for growth. Hell I saw a machine at metroflex.

Are you referring to Ronnie Colemans gym there in Arlington TX? I use to go there after high school before I joined the military. Lived down the road from it. You need a tetnis shot to go there with how rusty the equipment was :D True die hard gym in a garage!

i always used free weights because i thought they were the bread and butter but theres a guy at my gym thats very muscular, sure hes on some juice but all he ever does is machines. mostly the hammer strength stuff or smythe. so i said fuck it and did machine shoulder presses today and felt a better pump than i ever did from dumbbells. i never got shit from doing dumbbell presses, maybe my form was off or i used too heavy of weights but i felt like i had more time under tension using the machine, i trained harder, doing partials at the end. then i did a side lateral machine, ok that didnt pump me up much so i guess its upright rows or dumbbell side laterals after the pressing machine.

I also switched to more machine work after some slight shoulder tears. I trained with free weights my whole life till then and miss the old school training but had to change things up to eliminate using the stabilizer muscles which are what I tore. With machines I'm able to go to failure and past with partials while still concentrating on target muscles. I'll still include some deads and free rows with a day of abs and my develpment and core hasn't looked better ..

I also switched to more machine work after some slight shoulder tears. I trained with free weights my whole life till then and miss the old school training but had to change things up to eliminate using the stabilizer muscles which are what I tore. With machines I'm able to go to failure and past with partials while still concentrating on target muscles. I'll still include some deads and free rows with a day of abs and my develpment and core hasn't looked better ..
Look into a slingshot for shoulder tears its the fukin bomb. Took me from cryin at 135 back to 500 for reps.

What ever it takes to get you were your going.

Machines have come a long way.

I love hammer strength machines also

WSUP GIBBY BULLDOG MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
Okay... with that out of the way...

You're so sore because you are not used to the movements and planes of motion your are doing.

When training with free weights...sometimes the stabilizer muscles fail first and are the limiting factors involved. Take limiting factors out of the way (like with machines working in a "fixed" plane) and the primary muscles can be worked harder and further.

Is one meathod better than another?????
No, you need both..... A combination in your program is the balanced way to go IMO. Remember when we were training together "balls to the wall" and growing like weeds back in the day? I always set up out routines with a combination of both and balance. PEACE BRO!

Machines, ("The good ones") will isolate the movement of an exercise, causing a more concentrated effect on specific areas of the muscle. That's why your sore. Once a devote free weight man myself, I've learned the value of compromise. Use both!!! but never on the bench press, dead lift, or squat Lol.

Look into a slingshot for shoulder tears its the fukin bomb. Took me from cryin at 135 back to 500 for reps.

hey bro can you tell me more about the slingshot and where you bought it? i have a torn shoulder and have never heard of such a thing. it allows you to do certain exercises and not stress the shoulder?

I think machines really have come a long way from the time I started training 13years ago, but nothing beats free weights. Also, smith machine is the devil, I injured myself years ago on that piece of junk and now I only use it for horizontal pull ups.

The strength training stuff is really great, explosive lifts have brought me to a whole different level, stuff like cleans, snatches, jump squats.

I guess we are all different.
smith machine is a good tool for me.

I use the Hammer machines for pressing (as in chest movements - bad shoulder pain ever since I was in a nasty car accident years back). They've worked well for me. For pure strength though you simply can't be free weights. But I have to work with what I've got.

Personally i love free weights and hadnt touched a machine till my accident that left me in this chair now i have to relly on them and im impressed with my gains so far

Its been a few years since I used any type of machine ... I just started going to the YMCA with the wife on the weekends to change it up a bit ,and all I can say is I haven't been this sore in years!!!! I knowthat free weights use more stablelizer muscles , and since I lift with no spotter in my garage I dont go crazy heavy but I up the reps, run drop sets and all kinds of wierd stuff but just doing normal sets 4-6 with reps @ 8-12 with a machine why am I this sore?????

I think you should use a wide variety of equipment. Free weights and machines.

I mostly do exclusively free weights but sometimes I'll add a machine at the end. I only do this because it's "what I am supposed to do." However, I sometimes wonder why machines get such a bad rep since they seem to stimulate the muscle just as well

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131