over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Friends at work?

joeshow5

Banned
I have a friend that works for me at a gym that I manage. He has been there for about 4 years and I have been there nine months. I am a go getter and a hard worker and he is kinda lazy and only thinks about bodybuilding. Recently evaluations have come up and I was forced to cut his hours in half and possibly hire someone to replace him. It is a more than fair decision considering the amount of trouble he causes at work, but was a hard decision cause we are bros.
Needless to say he hates me for it.
Anyone ever have similar situations?

notthatstrongyet said:
shitty situation....do what u got to do
Yeah, that was my attitude going into it. I know I did the right thing, but I feel for my friend. He really loves working at the gym, he just doesn't show it. Maybe this will be a good wake up call.

I was in the Marines for a bit and had to yell and discipline friends left and right. That was my job as a Corporal. IF they where truely your friends they would know that what you had to do was what you had to do. Your in a leadership positon for a reason. If he feels like you fucked him over it's his own fault.

Not to be a dick, but this could have tought you not to build buddy buddy relationships with subordinates.

Zomb131 said:
I was in the Marines for a bit and had to yell and discipline friends left and right. That was my job as a Corporal. IF they where truely your friends they would know that what you had to do was what you had to do. Your in a leadership positon for a reason. If he feels like you fucked him over it's his own fault.

Not to be a dick, but this could have tought you not to build buddy buddy relationships with subordinates.

I don't think your a dick at all, and this is exactly what I have learned. My job will be much easier just being the boss, and not a bud.
A valuble lesson I won;t forget. Work pays my bills. Buddies don't.

OK, First as a gym owner I have had to make some hard calls where friends were concerned. It sucks but, it has to be done.
First, you take this guy aside out of work time and tell him as a friend exactly what the deal is. Do this as you would expect a friend to do this for you. Second you explain that as his direct supervisor and manager of a business, I'm assuming owned by someone else that not only is his position in jeopardy but he is placing unfair pressure on you as well. You have a responsibility to the owner and the business. The owner wants to see profits and have peace of mind that his/her business is in good hands, this means making the hard decisions. I have always believed one rule. "THERE ARE NO FRIENDS IN BUSINESS". Hard, cold, maybe. But I've been in business long enough to know this is true. if he is your friend then he will pull his head in put his ass in gear and prove that he loves working at a gym. If he isn't then you will know what to do from there. Good luck!

I've fired several people as a small business owner , every instance was because of lack of work ethic , not taking the job seriously , late for work etc. They all have come to me in later years and thanked me for wake up call I gave them.

"nothing personal, strictly biz"

:)

It's tough when you hire friends and family or have any authority over them. I think it came as a blow to my father when I had to let him go. His work was excellent but we no longer had need for the position.

I also have a friend that I came close to losing as a friend due to working together. Our priorities just didn't gel as much as I had hoped they would. As already said, if your friendship is worth a damn then it'll survive.

Last edited:
I hate firing people, but I have done it... You need to if you want to run a good business.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rpsly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws