over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fruit as a primary carb source?

salemguy321

Registered
Recently I've been manipulating my diet to find what works best for me with regards to the weight loss game. I've always been an easy gainer and I've always found it difficult to lose fat. A few weeks ago I had the idea to switch most of my carbs throughout the day from grain (Brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc) to fruit. I do eat veggies during the day as well. The reason for this "change" was i noticed when I eat grain based carbs I feel tired, lethargic, and bloated. But I guess I always had the thought that I needed these complex carbs to fuel my body so thats what I had always done. Since I've made this switch I've noticed I'm not tired or lethargic, I feel better, I've lost weight and I'm becoming addicted to fruit and find myself craving it throughout the day.

I hear on the board all the time that you need to listen to your body and eat accordingly, and it seems as though my body is telling me to greatly limit my grain intake. Is there any reason why I shouldn't keep doing this? It seems to be working and I feel alot better, but it goes against what I "know". Is anyone else like this? Are there any downfalls to eating more fruit and limiting the complex carbs that I might be unaware of or not considering?

Any useful info, thoughts, considerations, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fruits are king. Eat starchy carbs pwo and fruits for all other times. Macros are key. Fruits are an old staple to BBers, so youre not alone by a long shot.

Fruits are king. Eat starchy carbs pwo and fruits for all other times. Macros are key. Fruits are an old staple to BBers, so youre not alone by a long shot.

Hey ness, is there any certain fruits you recommend ? Thanks

Recently I've been manipulating my diet to find what works best for me with regards to the weight loss game. I've always been an easy gainer and I've always found it difficult to lose fat. A few weeks ago I had the idea to switch most of my carbs throughout the day from grain (Brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc) to fruit. I do eat veggies during the day as well. The reason for this "change" was i noticed when I eat grain based carbs I feel tired, lethargic, and bloated. But I guess I always had the thought that I needed these complex carbs to fuel my body so thats what I had always done. Since I've made this switch I've noticed I'm not tired or lethargic, I feel better, I've lost weight and I'm becoming addicted to fruit and find myself craving it throughout the day.

I hear on the board all the time that you need to listen to your body and eat accordingly, and it seems as though my body is telling me to greatly limit my grain intake. Is there any reason why I shouldn't keep doing this? It seems to be working and I feel alot better, but it goes against what I "know". Is anyone else like this? Are there any downfalls to eating more fruit and limiting the complex carbs that I might be unaware of or not considering?

Any useful info, thoughts, considerations, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What exactly do you "know"?? As a chiropractor and nutritionist what I "know" is grains are inflammatory and certain people shouldn't consume them at all,others in moderation.I have studied this a lot both through my own observations with patients and also others reasearch on the subject.

This has been discussed on here many times but some may have missed those threads.When the Egyptians started farming and storing grains in mass amounts a large number of health conditions began being seen in much higher numbers which have continued rising and still do to this day.

Diabetes: of course large amounts of excess carbohydrates and weight gain over time will contribute to the onset type 2 diabetes.
Inflammation: which increases cholesterol . increase in weight gain leading to high BP another condition leading towards metabolic syndrome.

Many more conditions arise from the weight gain and inflammation associated with excessive grain intake.As well as it can exacerbate certain conditions such as fibromyalgia,and arthritis and a host others causing problems that way.

Grains have been shown to increase inflammation markers in the body and are not tolerated by most.People don't even know this because thay have always been a staple in most peoples diets.When they are removed many feel much better,but they have been taught they are so healthy.Example the food pyramid:banghead:

So I agree moderate fruit intake would be a much healthier choice.

Last edited:
Bananas in moderation, papaya, pineapple, granny smith apples, and orange juice.

Best fruits in terms of lower GI are...

Grapefruit, mango, apples, berries.

Within the past year I have added more fruit to my diet.

Whether its bulking or cutting.

Mostly apples for their ease.

I have def noted better energy (quick energy, but low gi breakdown) less sickness (vitamins and nutrients) and less of a sugar craving (I have a huge sweettooth)

Well I certainly dont claim to "know" a lot about nutrition, thats why I ask questions on here. But on the other hand I'm not going to take the time to write out what I do know. Like you said kid, the food pyramid teaches people to eat lots of grain and in today's society it's often shoved down peoples throats as "the right way to eat". I've never like that, or what it teaches. I believe everyone is different, what works for some might not work for others. I didn't however, know that grain caused inflammation. That is an interesting concept to me and one that I would love to research and learn more about.

As for fruit that i've been eating; apples, peaches, bananas, pears, pineapple, grapes, berries, and Oranges (or Clementine's)

Any carbohydrate source can be consumed when eaten in the correct context, and when it fits within your carb and caloric needs and goals. Fruits bring a great nutrient profile to the table.

BMJ

Well I certainly dont claim to "know" a lot about nutrition, thats why I ask questions on here. But on the other hand I'm not going to take the time to write out what I do know. Like you said kid, the food pyramid teaches people to eat lots of grain and in today's society it's often shoved down peoples throats as "the right way to eat". I've never like that, or what it teaches. I believe everyone is different, what works for some might not work for others. I didn't however, know that grain caused inflammation. That is an interesting concept to me and one that I would love to research and learn more about.

As for fruit that i've been eating; apples, peaches, bananas, pears, pineapple, grapes, berries, and Oranges (or Clementine's)

Yes you got it brother;) I wasn't implying you lacked knowlege in nutrition by any means.I was stating that what people are taught is simply wrong like the food pyramid which you picked up on.
But what you experienced in your own body is huge and something to listen to more so than what some others on here will claim by parrotting their favorite guru,dogma,or broscience etc... .
Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Hey Kid1, not to be argumentative but it seems like you are laying all of the blame for inflammation on excessive grain intake. It's not like grains are the only foods that cause inflammation. Meat, eggs & dairy all contain Arachadonic Acid which is an essential fatty acid (necessary for most mammals) and pro-inflammatory. We know how beneficial meat, eggs and dairy are for us. My question is: Is it possible that inflammation is necessary/beneficial? Perhaps it is the catalyst/pre-cursor for other processes that are necessary and beneficial to our systems.
IMO, unless you have Celiac Disease, grains can be useful.

Yes you got it brother;) I wasn't implying you lacked knowlege in nutrition by any means.I was stating that what people are taught is simply wrong like the food pyramid which you picked up on.
But what you experienced in your own body is huge and something to listen to more so than what some others on here will claim by parrotting their favorite guru,dogma,or broscience etc... .
Good luck to you.

It's all good bro... I do lack knowledge, that's why I'm here to learn. :)

seasonal fruits are great,

lets see, ive heard of some people getting 'flat' on fruits only,,,i think it has to do with potassium not carb type. so thats another story

ive done fine with fruits only as carb source, and recnetly its been starch/fruit mix. Seem better however if i get careless i get watery real fast from non fruit type carbs.

don't most of the top gurus shun fruit for competition purposes? saying the simple sugars in fruit convert to easily to fat and make you retain water??

I usually eat 2 cups of frozen blueberries a day. I've read watermelon is a great carb PWO, but can't quite remember what is so beneficial in it.

don't most of the top gurus shun fruit for competition purposes? saying the simple sugars in fruit convert to easily to fat and make you retain water??

I usually eat 2 cups of frozen blueberries a day. I've read watermelon is a great carb PWO, but can't quite remember what is so beneficial in it.

lol......this is when i use fruit the most.....competition

and simple sugars DO NOT convert to fat OR make you retain water

:cool:

X2
-JS

Alot of guys are starting to have success with this.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws