over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fruit as major carb source

B-Trotter

Registered
Hi guys,

How many of you get your carbs solely from fruits and vegetables? I'm in the midst of reading a thread on here in which many guys with excellent physiques are championing fruit over oats, rice, etc...

So how does this work for a meal?

Example:

250g chicken breast
2 x 80g bananas
100g stawberries

Something like that? It seems counterintuitive given that sugars are portrayed as the devil and so far, I've got my best gains on virtually sugar-free diets.

Thanks.

I did it for awhile, worked good... but I am growing better I feel utilizing much more rice, potatoes, pasta, and then adding a little fruit to a few meals a day...ie a chicken breast and instead of let's say my usual cup and a half of rice I'll do one cup and can of pineapple chunks....

This is going to be completely individualistic in my opinion... Everyone handles carbs and different carb sources differently. If it were me though I like to think in long term health benefits and I like to stay away from spiking my blood sugar like a roller coaster as much as possible so I tend to stick with complex carbs with low glycemic index for carb sources. I diet on very low carbs though and don't need many for energy or to fill out so a high carb day for me is like 200 grams...

edit: and actually I guess I DO get all of my carbs from vegetables most days ;) as I'm cutting right now and my "zero carb" days total around 40-60 grams of carbs from green beans, egg whites, cottage cheese, etc... so yea most of them come from veggies but maybe that's a technicality and not what you meant?

Last edited:
I did it for awhile, worked good... but I am growing better I feel utilizing much more rice, potatoes, pasta, and then adding a little fruit to a few meals a day...ie a chicken breast and instead of let's say my usual cup and a half of rice I'll do one cup and can of pineapple chunks....

That's a good idea. Sometimes it gets tiring to have to eat 2 cups of rice, pasta, oats... at once, but adding a piece of fruit while cutting down on the portions of those, sounds like an easier option.

I always find myself visibly tighter when I keep fruit out of the equation. Can't remember the last time I had some actually..

another consideration and example of how this will be more individual to the person is digestion. carbs are probably the worst digested macro and also the easiest, example being brown rice bloats me and takes forever to digest where as white rice is much easier and goes right through me.

The same could be true for these people saying fruits are the way to go... Could work great for them, could work great for you too, but it also might not.

My body tends to deal with fruit easier than most other carb sources aside from plain white rice. I eat a lot of berries and love pineapple. Most of these are eaten within the two meals after my workout. After that it's just protein with veggies for roughage the rest of the day to maintain weight.

If I'm looking to gain, I just start adding additional good fats.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The others have summed it up perfectly imo. It's a very individual thing. You need to find what works out best for you. Although I do think a more balanced approach would be better. So have a mixture of fruit and some of the typical carbs such as rice, oats and pasta.

A good way of doing things is like Pitbull suggested by adding in a small piece of fruit (tangerine, berries etc) with a typical meal. You could even add in fruit into your actual meal. A good example would be beef with pineapple and jasmine rice. So cook the beef and 2 mins before finishing throw in pineapple pieces.

If you have any protein shakes you can also make fruit smoothies. I have 2 synthepure smoothies every day now. Usually one is pineapple, lemon, natural yoghurt and synthepure. Another I like to do are 2 apples, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, redcurrants, water and synthepure. You can buy frozen mixed berries so it's easy to do. The classic strawberries and banana is another great one to do.

everybody does it, and I have watermelons,peaches,nectarines,grapes(so many benefits in these) all of these every single day, I'm lean with abs visible,but not rifdiculous low body fat %

I think it could work but as mentioned in the thread, it will be an individual thing.

I love fruits and try to have as many as I can in the off season. I do what Pitbull said, have my regular meals and cut carbs a bit to accommodate the fruits.

I personally wouldn't solely rely on them as your body needs variety.

I did fruits as my only carb source, i leaned out, got drier while bulking.

However, if u are looking for a productive offseason where u want to gain as much muscle mass, i got better results from complex carbs such as rice, oats, potatoes, etc.

It's a good way to diet in general (not contest diet though). It will result in faster weight loss than eating other carb sources. The key is eating the right fruits high in fiber, like any form of berries mainly.

I get about 1/2 my carbs from fruit. Mostly bananas. For me, over eating fruit is less disastrous than over eating other types of carbs, but I'm also not trying to be 300lbs.

My muscles are much more full from starchy carbs then fruit tho 100%

I love fruit as a carb source. No bloat, skin looks good. I can't use it as a sole carb source when bulking though, just can't get enough cals from it.

I add 2-3 pieces of fruit a day, one on a breakfast and other 1 o 2 on postw.

bulking/maintenance example:
-100gr strawberry and grapefruit
-150gr pineapple
-1 kiwi

Last edited:
Also, I said it before and I'll say it again. Not all fruits are equal!

Top 30 fruits
**broken link removed**

Berries, berries, berries...

fruit replenishes liver glycogen and starches better for muscle glycogen. its OK to have fruit. they are good , all kind of great benefits from some of them but (pineapple - digestion, dark berries - antioxidants etc for eg) I wouldn't exclusively have fruits only as my carb source. may be 60-40 or 70-30 of starches - fruits ratio. something like that . all the best mate.

Fructose = High Tryglecerides.

I know i went on a all Fruits as carb source diet, My Tryglecerydes went tru the roof.

Not the brightest idea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner