advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fukushima radiation and the fish from the Pacific?

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
If Fukushima radiation can be measured on the US Pacific coast, what about the fish we are sold coming from the Pacific Ocean?

Do you really think we are being told the truth about how safe/dangerous it is to consume? I wouldn't touch it!!

Awesome

**broken link removed**

I try and eat only cold Atlantic. But that has its own issues.

Not only fish. Hat about the produce from the west/Midwest? What about the livestock? Radiation poisoning builds up and doesn't go away. I have started checking where everything I buy is from. Most is local but I make sure the pineapples are not from Hawaii, things like that. From what I've read the radiation could spread across the whole US eventually so we might be doomed either way...

there won't be an animal on earth that isn't eventually touched by some extent to this radiation, unless it dies first.

Let's hope for mutant superpowers instead of flesh decaying cancers.

Tilapia is cheap, but its not worth it.

Check all of your food at the grocery before you buy it with a good Geiger counter like this! [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mazur-Instruments-PRM-8000-Handheld-Radiation/dp/B005TDE3X8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376532866&sr=8-4&keywords=geiger+counter"]Mazur Instruments PRM-8000 Handheld Geiger Counter and Nuclear Radiation Monitor, 0.001 to 200 mR/hr Range, +/-10 Percent Accuracy: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oeCShsucL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oeCShsucL[/ame]

It would be fun to see the look that other customers give you when youre using it and I bet the grocery might even ask you to leave, Id like to try it out and see.

Last edited:
Check all of your food at the grocery before you buy it with a good Geiger counter like this! Mazur Instruments PRM-8000 Handheld Geiger Counter and Nuclear Radiation Monitor, 0.001 to 200 mR/hr Range, +/-10 Percent Accuracy: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It would be fun to see the look that other customers give you when youre using it and I bet the grocery might even ask you to leave, Id like to try it out and see.

Good idea. I eat a lot of fish so maybe i'll try this out one day.

Good idea. I eat a lot of fish so maybe i'll try this out one day.

I am genuinely curious about what the results would be. I think though that we have more to worry about in heavy metals like mercury and cadmium.

Check all of your food at the grocery before you buy it with a good Geiger counter like this! Mazur Instruments PRM-8000 Handheld Geiger Counter and Nuclear Radiation Monitor, 0.001 to 200 mR/hr Range, +/-10 Percent Accuracy: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Look at this one for half the price with decent reviews might actually get it just to see...

Look at this one for half the price with decent reviews might actually get it just to see...

Yeah, that was one of the more expensive ones. It would almost be worth a couple hundred dollars just to see.

Careful, that site is extremely broscience and fear mongering. The source it links is also another broscience website, so that should tell you something.

Update: University of Washington Professor Trevor Branch sent us the following email:

I am surprised that an article composed of facts totally unrelated to Fukushima could make it past your editorial process, and the story has been widely derided by blogs and on twitter. Below is my response detailing the latest science, with the article attached in case you are unable to find it.

The scientists you quote repeated their own study on Pacific bluefin tuna in the US and Fukushima radiation testing in June 2013. Here are some highlights from their findings.
1. Radiation in bluefin from Fukushima is 1/1000 to 1/10000 of the radiation in natural seawater.
2. Radiation in bluefin from Fukushima is less than in food you eat every day that is uncontaminated (and much much less than x-rays, flying in a plane etc).
3. If 10,000,000 people each ate 124 kg per yr of bluefin tuna every year (which is a LOT), 2 might die from radiation.
4. However, global catch of Pacific bluefin is 20,000 t a year,
allowing only 161,000 people to eat that much, resulting in only 0.03 extra deaths per year.
5. If they ate less, the risk would be much less.
6. Since a single Pacific bluefin tuna sold this year for $1.8
million, they would also be left in poverty. (Not all sell for that
much, I know.)

Now the salmon and herring in U.S. waters do not travel anywhere near Fukushima, and would have a radiation load thousands to millions of times lower. These fish have local populations and are quite distinct from those populations near Fukushima. Radiation from Fukushima is diluted very rapidly within a few km of the leaks (the volume of the ocean is vast), and further than that the radiation is less than the radiation from naturally occurring polonium in the ocean.

All of the scary stories compiled in the article are just that, scary
stories completely unrelated to Fukushima. For example the quotes from Morton are specifically about disease in fish that has nothing to do with radiation.

To preserve the integrity of your news blog, I would suggest
retracting the article.

While we respect Professor Branch’s expertise in fisheries science – his knowledge of fisheries is significantly greater than ours, and he has proven that he is an honest academic by disclosing his funding sources to us upon request – we believe that he has made several erroneous assumptions. Specifically:

1. There won’t be nearly as much dilution as assumed.

2. Low-level radiation is not harmless, there was no background cesium radiation until recently, and our bodies have adapted to excrete radiation from sources such as bananas … but not cesium from fish.

**broken link removed**

I've been eating catfish from Vietnam a couple times a week. It's probably just as bad....

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws