over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Full body routines - frequency/efficiency

jrs

Registered
I have used variations of this in the past with great results. Currently trying something different and lo and behold, after a good year of trying different "splits," I've stalled with small sporadic gains. Back to the roots.

Day 1
squats
incline
heavy row
biceps
abs

Day 2 - off

Day 3
deadlifts
shoulder press
pullups
biceps - hammer curl variation
abs

Day 4 - off

Day 5
front squats
flat bench
light row
biceps
abs

Day 6 -off

Day 7 - off

some people would be better off with more triceps and less biceps, or alternating each workout. bis are personally a weak point at the moment

note that all presses are done with a close grip so no need for extra triceps. i feel presses (some more than others) are far, far superior to extensions for triceps size and elbow health

recovery options:

1) perodization:
perhaps week one is light, week two is moderate, three is heavy, four is off

2) "blast/cruise" ala DC

3) for those with slow recovery: removing all isolation movements and only doing push, pull, legs, abs movements in addition to the above
conversely
those who recover quicker could do a similar routine every other day for a couple weeks before needing a break. the difference is a compromise between 3 and 4 days per week, obviously

I'm hoping to get opposing opinions.

Last edited:
I would have to add that I would not recommend anybody do this without an abundance of sleep and calories. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but I would think it would be too much. What I have done while "dieting" is a circuit of the above movements, one set of each exercise to the next, as "rounds," adding one more "round" per week. Training in this fashion keeps the weights lower obviously which wouldn't be as much of a strain on the nervous system. The cardio aspect becomes huge. Bodyfat oxidation is impressive. Sucking air is an understatement.

Last edited:
The cardio aspect becomes huge. Bodyfat oxidation is impressive. Sucking air is an understatement.

Yes, I am doing something similar.. I do upper body one day, lower body the next.

And I try to do my body parts in a push/pull fashion throughout the workout (by this i mean for example, i do chest, then directly go to back). There's never any sitting still, I always go from one exercise to the next. Works really well.. about 3-5 sets per bodypart. (1 set per exercise, not including warm ups)

Last edited:
Yes, I am doing something similar.. I do upper body one day, lower body the next.

And I try to do my body parts in a push/pull fashion throughout the workout. There's never any sitting still, I always go from one exercise to the next. Works really well.. about 3-5 sets per bodypart. (1 set per exercise, not including warm ups)

agreed. fat loss and muscularity had never been better for me than when i had done this. and progress came really quickly. surprisingly i didnt lose much strength either as i was only doing compound movements and kept making progress. taking a note from DC, i'd ditch an exercise if i couldn't progress each time i did it

I think the science behind the great results we're both seeing is that the hormone response is optimal throughout the workout.

You get the biggest increase in testosterone by moving quickly between exercises.. and you get the most amount of reps by doing push/pull.

While a regular split either gives you a) lots of rest between sets, and more reps, but not as big a hormone response.. or b) less rest between sets, fewer reps, but better hormone response

doing it this way gives you both.

I think the science behind the great results we're both seeing is that the hormone response is optimal throughout the workout.

You get the biggest increase in testosterone by moving quickly between exercises.. and you get the most amount of reps by doing push/pull.

While a regular split either gives you a) lots of rest between sets, and more reps, but not as big a hormone response.. or b) less rest between sets, fewer reps, but better hormone response

doing it this way gives you both.

To be fair I alternate the circuit method while trying to lose fat and stay strong, with straight sets and lots of rest when im trying to grow/get stronger

To be fair I alternate the circuit method while trying to lose fat and stay strong, with straight sets and lots of rest when im trying to grow/get stronger

Ok, that's where we differ I guess. I grow and get stronger doing it my way all the time. I used to do DC training, but I started to stagnate after a while.
So I started to experiment with adding more sets and not doing RP.

And to be fair also, there are some major differences between your above workouts and mine. The similarity lies in the way we both utilize super sets to move around more.

I actually don't do any cardio at all now during offseason with this type of training.

Edit: and by super sets I mean circuit training.. IE, two or more sets back to back.. but for different muscle groups.

Last edited:
Your routine is very similar to mine, I'll post it here so people can compare and see some similar full body-low volume-high intensity routines. I hope you don't mind, If you do, tell me and I'll edit the post.

I'm recovering from an injury and I just recently decided to start back on my usual workout routine. I wanted to share this with you guys, because if there is someone who wants to try something new, this is a very efficient program for building strength and mass. If you do decide to try this routine, it is imperative that you read the original description! Here it is: Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version
Once again, if you want to try this routine, read the article or you will not see the results you desire! This is not the original workout program, although it is about 95% the same it has some very slight modifications that I made because they suit my personal needs.

A few notes:
- Percentages (%) indicate percent of 5 rep max.
- You MUST start with less then your actual 5 rep max and work up to it in 3-4 weeks.
- The Day 3 triples become the next Day 1 sets of 5.
- If you modify anything that Bill Star specifically tells you not to modify, you are screwing yourself in the bum with an Olympic bar (no lube used).
- On Day 3 there is always a 6th set with 75% of your 5 rep max, this is a widow maker set. Do at least 8 reps but if you can do 12 then do 12. On the rest of the lifts don't go past the perscribed number of reps!

Day 1 (Monday)

Bench Press:
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
100 % x 5

Squat
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
100 % x 5

BB rows
60% x 5
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
100 % x 5

Accessory work:
4 sets of weighted crunches or sit-ups
2 sets of weighted hyper extensions

Day 2 (Wednesday)

Military Press
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
100 % x 5

Deadlift
62.5% x 5
75% x 5
87.5% x 5
100 % x 5

Squats
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
75 % x 5

Weighted Pull-ups
Body weight x 5
50% x 5
60% x 5
80% x 5
100 x 5

Accessory work:
2 sets of weighted crunches or sit-ups
2 sets of DC style calf extensions

Day 3 (Friday)

Bench Press:
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
102.5 % x 3
75% x 8-infinity (widow maker set)

Squat
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
102.5 % x 3

BB rows
60% x 5
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
102.5 % x 3

Accessory work:
3 sets of heavy ass weighted dips
3 sets of skull crushers or JM presses
3 sets of BB curls
2 sets of hammer curls

If you have any questions feel free to ask, comments and opinions are welcome as well.

Your routine is very similar to mine, I'll post it here so people can compare and see some similar full body-low volume-high intensity routines. I hope you don't mind, If you do, tell me and I'll edit the post.

I'm recovering from an injury and I just recently decided to start back on my usual workout routine. I wanted to share this with you guys, because if there is someone who wants to try something new, this is a very efficient program for building strength and mass. If you do decide to try this routine, it is imperative that you read the original description! Here it is: Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version
Once again, if you want to try this routine, read the article or you will not see the results you desire! This is not the original workout program, although it is about 95% the same it has some very slight modifications that I made because they suit my personal needs.

A few notes:
- Percentages (%) indicate percent of 5 rep max.
- You MUST start with less then your actual 5 rep max and work up to it in 3-4 weeks.
- The Day 3 triples become the next Day 1 sets of 5.
- If you modify anything that Bill Star specifically tells you not to modify, you are screwing yourself in the bum with an Olympic bar (no lube used).
- On Day 3 there is always a 6th set with 75% of your 5 rep max, this is a widow maker set. Do at least 8 reps but if you can do 12 then do 12. On the rest of the lifts don't go past the perscribed number of reps!

Day 1 (Monday)

Bench Press:
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
100 % x 5

Squat
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
100 % x 5

BB rows
60% x 5
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
100 % x 5

Accessory work:
4 sets of weighted crunches or sit-ups
2 sets of weighted hyper extensions

Day 2 (Wednesday)

Military Press
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
100 % x 5

Deadlift
62.5% x 5
75% x 5
87.5% x 5
100 % x 5

Squats
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
75 % x 5

Weighted Pull-ups
Body weight x 5
50% x 5
60% x 5
80% x 5
100 x 5

Accessory work:
2 sets of weighted crunches or sit-ups
2 sets of DC style calf extensions

Day 3 (Friday)

Bench Press:
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
102.5 % x 3

Squat
50 % x 5
62.5 % x 5
75 % x 5
87.5 % x 5
102.5 % x 3

BB rows
60% x 5
70% x 5
80% x 5
90% x 5
102.5 % x 3

Accessory work:
3 sets of heavy ass weighted dips
3 sets of skull crushers or JM presses
3 sets of BB curls
2 sets of hammer curls

If you have any questions feel free to ask, comments and opinions are welcome as well.

on what day is the accessory work (dips, jm presses, etc) added? if it is only one day, i'd feel that the end of the week isn't balanced with the beginning

there is definitely something to be said about periodization based on percentages. i just hate math and don't like the idea of calculating pre-workout what weights i will lift. i like the idea of ramping up each set in weight just as described, but with the goal of breaking either a 10, 8, 5, or 3 rep max, depending on the exercise

there are many, many methods to accomplish the same ends

After each day there is a bit of accesory work (mostly abs), but after day 3 there is more (biceps + triceps) You are right this day does take a bit longer then the rest.

I feel full body routines can be some of the best training for size and strength. I was inspired many moons ago by C.S Sloan and he has great full body routines for beginners and advanced.
After many years of trial and error i created a hybrid routine taking the best principles from other routines. I feel this gives you the best results as it cycles and lets you workout at optimum frequency yet not taxing the CNS.

Sample Routine

Squat
SL Deads
Bench
Incline Bench
Bent Row
Pulldown
Overhead Press
Barbell Curl
Lying Tricep Ext
C Raises

Start with 3 sets of 10 using a weight that allows you to get all 3 sets easily. Say 50 lbs below your 3 sets of 10 maximum for L bodyparts 25 for small. Then M-W-F you add 10 lbs each workout for L Bodypart 5 for small until you can not do 3 sets of 10 then go to 2 sets of 10 when you can not get the 10 on the second set go for one set of 10 then when you fail before 10 go to 3 sets of 5 using your one set of 10 max.
Follow the same formula. Once you fail to get one set of 5 then you start all over again but add 10 lbs to your starting weight to L Bodyparts and 5 to small and let it begin again.
Take 90-120 sec between sets.
You can take a week off after each cycle but its not necessary.

Give it one cycle and you will be a believer.

Train a muscle more frequently 2-3x a week
Use compound movements, 6-8 is best
Use the 3-5, 9-11 rep ranges
Use higher volume and higher intensity training for short cycles
Use increment loading over several workouts
Train the body as a whole and rest it as a whole

Very simple yet very effective.
Nothing fancy but if you incorporate the methods into a routine you will grow at any stage.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear