over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Funny sight at the gym tonight

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I had a couple good laughs at the gym tonight. There's these 2 guys that come in together quite a bit and I think they're trying to be powerlifters or something. Always bring a lot of gear with them in duffle bags draggin them around. Anyways, they were benching tonite and while I was resting between sets I glanced over and saw the one guy pushing up about 280lbs for 4 reps or so, except his ass was about a foot off the bench...lol! So, I decided to say something to him about it and he just laughed a little bit and said "yeah". I told him "Well, its not a competition, so you're all good!." Then his buddy started a set and did the same fucking thing! I thought about helping them out and showing them how to properly bench, but was crunched for time. Probably wouldnt have done any good anyways.... Too funny :D

Last edited:
man those happen in my gym all the time. Or the guys that bring their feet up and cross them while bench because it also hits their abs...

There was a dude that we referred to as 'Luke Sky-fuc#er' in high school cuz he would arch his back so high that his a$$ was at least 18"s off the bench (higher than the rack?) and he would think he was a bada$$ for doing 185 for 6 reps that way, as a junior, and weighing about the same as his bench. I'll never forget it cuz I was 132 and doing 200ish and 225 with a good bounce. lol Either way - all that ego-lifting is pretty funny in hind-sight, and as long as we didn't get hurt. 22 years later my shoulders are still messed up though. :(

Franco Columbu used to bench like that pretty often and he had a pretty good chest;). People definitely do dumb shit at gyms, but just because your not familiar with it doesnt mean it might not work

Franco Columbu used to bench like that pretty often and he had a pretty good chest;). People definitely do dumb shit at gyms, but just because your not familiar with it doesnt mean it might not work

Where did you see Franco lifting his ass a foot off the bench? I just did a search on the internet and his form looks pretty good to me. Not saying he never did, just can't find any proof of that.

I had a couple good laughs at the gym tonight. There's these 2 guys that come in together quite a bit and I think they're trying to be powerlifters or something. Always bring a lot of gear with them in duffle bags draggin them around. Anyways, they were benching tonite and while I was resting between sets I glanced over and saw the one guy pushing up about 280lbs for 4 reps or so, except his ass was about a foot off the bench...lol! So, I decided to say something to him about it and he just laughed a little bit and said "yeah". I told him "Well, its not a competition, so you're all good!." Then his buddy started a set and did the same fucking thing! I thought about helping them out and showing them how to properly bench, but was crunched for time. Probably wouldnt have done any good anyways.... Too funny :D

You see that in every gym in America... Sad in my opinion. Funny but sad.

I guess you guys are not familiar with powerlifting. I forget the guy's name but he's a famous powerlifting guru and he teaches to bench with your back arched and your ass slightly off the bench and to really dig your feet into the ground that way you get more leverage. Just because it looks funny or stupid doesn't always mean it's the wrong way to do something. Food for thought.

watching some people in the gym is funny as hell. theres a group of young guys in my gym that do the bend yourself like a pretzel to get up more weight routine. i asked the one guy about it and he said its because there going for 'exsplosivness'??? i said the only thing thats going to explode is your back. he just walked away. haha. dumbasses

If it was 400lbs I could understand... 280 though. I hope the guys were 140lbs.

watch eric lilliebridge bench. or mark bell.

Are you sure arching the back is not used to get leverage closer of that of the decline press . Some people do better on decline then flat , or at least works to a certain point .
Non the less I see questionable lifts performed quite often .
I think bench archers are a minority compared to dumbbell droppers .

the guys that majorly arch there back will eventually hurt there back or neck. some people just like to put on a show in the gym instead of just lowering the weight to do it right and safely

I learned a long time ago, guys don't want your opinion, unless they ask.

I learned a long time ago, guys don't want your opinion, unless they ask.

Isn't that the truth. Another reason why I just kept on going about my biz. I kinda regretted even saying something to them in the first place and usually keep my mouth shut when I see something that doesn't look right.

And to all the guys who arch their backs off the bench when pressing, if it works for you than more power to ya!

I cant find the photo of Franco for some reason, but he would put a box under the bench and put his feet on it and then lift his ass off the bench driving his shoulders down into it. Effectively making it a modified decline bench press

I just watched a video of Mark Bell on Supertrainingtv.com and he did not lift his ass up off the bench. Plus he was pushing a helluva lot more that 280lbs. Couldn't find any footage of Eric Littlebridge benching, but he can sure pull a lot of weight.

Regardless, maybe I'm just out of touch with todays elite powerlifting bench press techniques? I was actualy taught how to bench press by a competing powerlifter back in the 80's and I still remember him telling me to keep my ass planted on the bench when pressing. Guess that's considered oldschool nowadays ;)

An arched back is fine as long as your ass is on the bench. I arch my back when I bench as do a ton of powerlifters. But the key is keeping your ass on the bench. In competition, if your ass leaves the bench, the lift is no good. In the gym, do whatever the fuck you want I guess.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws