over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fusion Surgery?

I hope it's ok that I'm piggybackinging onto this thread. I had a microdiscectomy on Dec. 16. I don't have much, if any, pain right now but I'm also barely moving around my low back. No bending, lifting, or twisting for another two weeks. Can't lift anything more than ten pounds. Laying low from the gym for the time being and really only walking.

I had l5-s1 discectomy w/laminotomy. The neuro said that he saw "nerve tethering" when he opened me up, which I'd never heard of and still can't find any info on (only am seeing info for "tethered spine" which I don't have). Anyway, first neuro told me in 2019 I'd be good to go for an ALIF but only after I had kids if that was part of my future. I saw him again in 2022 and he's like, "nah, let's wait five to ten years". That seemed weird to me. The only reason given was that if we started now w/a fusion he believed I'd be back in his office every few years doing more fusion. I decided to get a second opinion. The second neuro suggested Microdiscectomy and believed I'd be a good candidate due to my age and being fairly healthy. Very close friend of mine had one and is doing well. He's an Olympic lifter and is backsquatting 450lbs at a bodyweight of 150 lbs. FWIW, I never suffered terrible leg pain; only a few times and at that point the back pain was really bad and I couldn't put weight on my leg for a whole weekend & couldn't sleep b/c I was so uncomfortable.

I decided to go through with it on Dec. 16. Insurance covered all of it. I mostly had incisional pain only, which lasted all of three days. I won't really know though if it was successful for at least few months until I get active again in the gym and on the wrestling mat. If I can wrestle again and lift heavy, that's great. If I can wrestle but still have to lay off heavy squats and DLs, I'd still be thrilled. I'd settle for being able to wrestle a few times a week and being able to do light Bar Squats and Deadlifts and not have pain for days after. That'd make me very happy. Last few years I've been relying on deep bodyweight squats and even that would aggravate my back to a noticeable degree.

Good luck on the surgery, TE. I'm in a situation where I have badly degenerated discs. I have 37 degree scoliosis and issues at every level from S1 all the way to L1. Couple of fractures too.

By some miracle, I don't have the pain shooting down my legs, and that's really the only reason they hesitate to do surgery. So I wait.

Hey I’ve probably have more surgeries than anyone on the forum.I had a c3-c7 instrumental spinal fusion that didn’t take.I winded up with my head chin touching my chest and couldn’t move my head at all.found out she was a horrible dr.
Since I already had surgery they had to do reconstructive surgery .this time they fused c2-t4 10 levels then my lower back was also bad so they fused l4-l5 ,still need s1 and S2 done plus I had a lot of other surgeries.
First advice get 2-3 opinions on how to proceed.that’s only one level so should be to bad.I had to wait till my spine fused completely before working out again.I think the smaller surgery was 6 month out of the gym.my 16 hour surgery took me 3 months to leave the hospital then a year to lif weights again.
Now I have 2 non working hands.because I had severe nerve damage that fold my hands into a fist and can not open them ,only my thumbs work.I still have no feeling in my scapulas.nerve pain from forearm down to my fingers.I can’t walk without a walker.I’ve had hip surgery,elbow surgery,knee surgeries I still have 2 tumors that I have to remove plus a hernia etc..
Good luck,I hope it work out for you.if you need to talk just send me a pm and I can go further into detail .

Dealing with it myself so subbed here. inj helped. Very interested!

I wouldn't wish sciatica pain on my worst enemy, its terrible. I had a collapsed disk L5/S1 and was in bed for a week and a half with a bottle of Jim Beam and a heating pad. I ended up going to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought an inversion table for $300. Worth every penny! The chiropractor couldn't do shit for it. And a buddy of mine worked for him and said he went to his house to hang out one day and guess what the chiropractor had in his house...a fucking inversion table. Anyway, I used it for two days and my sciatica was gone. I got the Teeter Hangups brand, they seem to be the best. Now I use it occasionally if it feels like it's gonna act up. My x-ray showed a collapsed/degenerated disk, never went back to that fucking chiropractor piece of shit. Surgery should be a last resort, in my opinion. I've talked to people that had surgery and some regret it. Said they were never the same, and if they had to do it iver again they wouldn't. Just depends what's going on in there.

After watching the Video . I also have teeter hangups. maybe more beneficial to use first upon waking ???

What do you guys think?

After watching the Video . I also have teeter hangups. maybe more beneficial to use first upon waking ???

What do you guys think?
I think the most important part is just using it on a regular basis whenever works best for you, and sticking to it. I started with just 5 minutes and worked my way up to 15 minutes. My back usually feels good now, so I am guilty of not using it and then after a few months if I go too heavy on something that might aggravate my back, I can feel it starting back up and have to use it again. So it's best if you just use it at least a couple of times a week to maintain after you've gotten rid of the sciatica pain. You do get some decompression naturally just lying down since gravity isn't pushing you down from the top when you are sleeping, but just establish a routine for best results. I also don't do deadlifts or bb squats anymore, anything that loads the spine is going to aggravate it. But if you do decide to continue thos exercises, personally I would go lighter with more reps and then come home and use it immediately afterwards.

Before i had my spine surgery i looked into inversion tables. I only found 1 decent study at that time. It showed that people with herniated discs tended to be in more pain after using the tables then those that didn't use them. So i never got one and just had the surgery. If someone wants to try them they should. I kind of doubt that the tables would do more damage.

Dear gentlemen,

I wanted to provide an update on my surgery experience, hoping it can be helpful for those facing a similar situation. It has been nearly a year since my ALIF surgery on L5 S1, and I am pleased to share that the procedure went exceptionally well.

The surgery, lasting about 1.5 hours, was followed by me walking just 2 hours post-operation. I spent one night at the hospital to ensure normal bodily functions, considering the repositioning of internal organs to access the spine. Fortunately, the post-surgery pain was quite manageable, and I ceased taking any pain medications after only 3 days.

For those dealing with spine-related issues, having a treadmill proved crucial in my recovery journey. I walked consistently, covering 3-5 miles per day for the initial six weeks, with 15-minute walks interspersed with bed rest. By the 6-week mark, I began non-compound movement exercises, progressing to gym workouts at the 12-week point, where I could finally engage in compound movements like squats and deadlifts that were previously challenging for the past four years.

By the 6-month milestone, I found myself performing Romanian Deadlifts with 120lbs dumbbells for 15-20 reps. I incorporated compounds like TB500, BPC157, and ipamoralin into my recovery regimen, alongside my 125mg/week TRT dosage. Now, at the one-year mark, I am fully recovered with no issues regarding flexibility or strength.

I hope sharing my journey and accompanying pictures proves beneficial to others undergoing similar experiences.

Image 1 is the incision that was made to access my spine a few days after the surgery. They did not cut any muscles. They just moved my hip flexor aside. The vascular surgeon said it was the thickest hip flexor he'd seen lol.

The other two pics are immediately post-surgery of the cage between L5 S1.

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3
Defiantly get a second opinion. But back fusion surgery is in a class of it's own.
Course your talking one section but fusion is a long recovery no matter if it's one or more sections. They all heal at the same rate.
Had L1-S2 done 11 months ago, besides the ever lasting pain I have to use a pole grabber to dress myself. You shouldn't have
that problem though.
How are you doing now? I'm currently fused L5-S1 but have recently been told that I need be fused L2-Pelvis(SI Joints) My left leg has atrophied so much from the nerve damage and the pain is nearly unbearable at times. I'm just ready for some relief but judging by your comment above, it doesn't sound as if you got pain relief from your fusion. Best wishes

Guys, I've said this before in other threads regarding back issues and surgeries, surgery on L5/s1, even fusion, isn't that big of a deal and recovery should be fairly easy. As many know, I've had multiple fusions in the lumbar and cervical areas of my spine. Good luck to all of you! Squat University is a great resource for back issues!!

Glad to hear you are doing well. Continue to improve. Your experience seems to be what i hear from those that had a good surgeon and were actively engaged at recovering. My experience was similar with L4-5 even though a different surgery was done.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear