over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gaining size over 50

graybass

Registered
Like to get some other members feed back. I'll admit to being over 50 (and then some LOL) As I got older I decided to try and be leaner. I competed in power for 22 years. I've really focused on BB type work outs for the last 10 years. I managed to get in the best shape of my life but I'd love to get bigger. Have any of you experience in this. I know all the basics, I work full time as a trainer. Love to hear from some bros who managed to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle later in life, don't know if I can. I also have been lifting for 40 years, so joints are hurting, which is another reason it's hard to gain size. Not afraid of a little blast and cruise either. I also write precontest diets for clients so I know the drill. Still hard to gain size without getting fat though LOL
Sorry for long ramble.
GB

You sound very knowledgeable so I'm sure you know this but the trick it to always have a slight caloric surplus but don't over do it. I'm in my 30's and notice I can't put on size without fat like I could 10 years ago. And without AAS it's super hard. I'm sure it's my metabolic rate smh. Sucks getting old. Be safe with the AAS.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Massive amounts of steroids should do the job....

:cool:

Ohhh...and some more food...
:)

Last edited:
gaining lean body mass post 50 yrs

After a 25+ yr break from competitive BB and powerlifting I started up again for the last 10 yrs (50 to 60 yrs old) and have competed again in powerlifting.

My lean body mass 10 yrs ago was 146 lbs and last December it was 178 lbs ( both tests in a water tank), so a little over 3 lbs a yr focusing on strength not size.

Had shoulder surgery for torn rotator , labrum and bicep re-location so Ive only been lightly working legs the last couple of months and to my surprise with all that volume and pumping legs are up over an inch and calves up 1/2"+

So yes it can be done, and I'm certainly not genetically gifted.

After a 25+ yr break from competitive BB and powerlifting I started up again for the last 10 yrs (50 to 60 yrs old) and have competed again in powerlifting.

My lean body mass 10 yrs ago was 146 lbs and last December it was 178 lbs ( both tests in a water tank), so a little over 3 lbs a yr focusing on strength not size.

Had shoulder surgery for torn rotator , labrum and bicep re-location so Ive only been lightly working legs the last couple of months and to my surprise with all that volume and pumping legs are up over an inch and calves up 1/2"+

So yes it can be done, and I'm certainly not genetically gifted.

But what was your competitve weight prior to
Your "break".....????

Competitive weight at last competiton in 1984 was 154 lbs with lean mass at 141 lbs (tested in water tank at University of Hawaii Medical school). At a height of 5'9.5"....skinny SOB...lol!

at 50?

Agreed.

But why?

Think maturity. I am 63. Been at it a long, long time. Zero regrets.

As we get older, with the benefit of experience (and having seen so much time slip by),
we begin to notice that most things (bodybuilding for instance) have little lasting impact
on our lives. Those people whose opinions we cared about so much before are no
longer present in our lives. Rejections that were painful in the moment have actually
worked out for the best. We realize how little attention people pay to the superficial
details about us, and we choose not to obsess so much over them.

My opinion . . . now is the time to get mean and lean :cool:

Yeah I like Tennys approach....

Lead Monster Labs Rep and Sponsored Athlete
Flex10 for 10% off in notes section when ordering.
Mymonsterlabs.com

Here...

Over 50 here. I have certainly gained mass. Like you, years of lifting has taken a toll on my joints. However, I lift far more intelligently. I've learned to really form a mind/body connection while lifting. Outside of my mass gains, I have a lot of muscle maturity that makes me look a lot better.

I must admit I get jealous when I see a group of young guys benching, squatting or doing heavy deads. Internally I just want to show those dudes who I used to be. But i've accepted thats no longer my reality, and focus simply on my physique.

I'm 56 been lifting since 13 competed in power lifting during the early 80s The way I look at it now is u do what you can do.But remember you can't go as heavy, you can't use excessive amounts of PEDS, you can't eat like you used to.
You can fight the aging process but eventually we all lose.

Agreed.

But why?

Think maturity. I am 63. Been at it a long, long time. Zero regrets.

As we get older, with the benefit of experience (and having seen so much time slip by),
we begin to notice that most things (bodybuilding for instance) have little lasting impact
on our lives. Those people whose opinions we cared about so much before are no
longer present in our lives. Rejections that were painful in the moment have actually
worked out for the best. We realize how little attention people pay to the superficial
details about us, and we choose not to obsess so much over them.

My opinion . . . now is the time to get mean and lean :cool:

exactly my question.....WHY...????

I actually wrote the reasons why.....but did not feel it appropriate to post

:eek:

ok I see Pesty down there.....let me answer a little more appropriately...
:p

can you gain muscle mass in your 50s...??? yes....
(will take some doing.....but can happen)

will it be permanent muscle mass...??? probably not....
(it will be pretty much temporary, when you go back to normal eating
everything will return to the way it was....)

changing your diet will add mass and body weight....but its hard
to sustain....

the longer you stay at a certain body weight.....the better your chances
are to REMAIN at that body weight....(if body weight is what you wish
to acquire)

muscle.....however, is a bit tricky to hold on to.....especially into your 50s
and 60s....

basically would require you to change your whole entire routine in life...
and what you've been accustom to....just to add some.....SOME....muscle
mass...

is it worth it...???

Awesome answers! Thanks guys. Bunch of old farts like me lol. It is true I have much more muscle maturity. What I do have is hard and vascular. I do tons of super sets, which also makes it harder to gain raw mass. Don't want to be fat. I have a much younger GF who is a gym rat too, so have to look good while trying for a little more size.
I keep reminding myself 99% of the people my age look like shit!

I'm 48 and it's tough gaining new size as you get older. I'm 234 and pretty lean..not ripped to the bone but still carry a 6 pack but adding new mass has been tough .Imho if your receptors are fresh from gear then def doable but diet and training has to be right to gain lbm . Manageable but tough and as previous posts have stated keeping it as you get even older is even harder. Also think it's easier for someone under 180 to gain 10-15 lbs then it is for some one over 220-230. The heavier person needs more food then the lighter individual trying to gain lbm and not gain body fat. Just my 2c

Forget about being real big. Be happy you are healthy and look better then most guys your age. This way you will live longer. ;)

rethinking this . . .

graybass,

As I recently said in another post, I first “touched” steroids / testosterone (doctor prescribed)
on Tuesday, February 14, 2006. I was born in 1954, so I was over 50.

And to be completely transparent, I gained a bunch of pure muscle mass right off the bat. It
was an absolutely an amazing experience. I changed nothing . . . no dietary changes, no training
routine changes, did not train harder. I just grew. And I got stronger. It was so easy, I could not
believe it. As I bumped up the dosages (again, doctor prescribed) I continued to grow until I
started to feel not so good, was lethargic with the weight gain and simultaneously, some red
flags started to appear in my blood tests. Then we backed off. In total, at my heaviest, I gained
~ 30 lbs. in a very short period of time. Now, at a much lower dosage I would say retained ~ 10 lbs.
of pure muscle on 150 – 200mg of testosterone. Blood tests look good. And where I am at now,
I could stand to lose about 10 lbs. of fat to get below 10% body fat, which at my age (do the
math) has become increasingly difficult to do. I am content now, just attempting to hold back the
hands of time . . .

I was a virgin to PED’s. If you have been ‘experimenting’ with PEDs in the past your mileage will
unavoidably vary. It is not clear to me from your post if you have ever used steroids in the past
or are using now. My opinion, if you haven’t then you may very well duplicate my experience (and I
am what one would call a hard gainer). So, yes, it is still possible to make gains in muscle mass.
If you have been using, are still using now, like Tenny said so well, it will require changing your
whole entire routine in life.

Is it worth it? Only you will know the answer to that.

Like to get some other members feed back. I'll admit to being over 50 (and then some LOL) As I got older I decided to try and be leaner. I competed in power for 22 years. I've really focused on BB type work outs for the last 10 years. I managed to get in the best shape of my life but I'd love to get bigger. Have any of you experience in this. I know all the basics, I work full time as a trainer. Love to hear from some bros who managed to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle later in life, don't know if I can. I also have been lifting for 40 years, so joints are hurting, which is another reason it's hard to gain size. Not afraid of a little blast and cruise either. I also write precontest diets for clients so I know the drill. Still hard to gain size without getting fat though LOL
Sorry for long ramble.
GB

I started lifting about 1973. Many injuries and surgeries later, I don't lift any where near as heavy. The same dose of AS that I used to take while lifting much lighter weights leaves me with much less muscle then it used to. I lift with more control and have more rest days then I used to. And try to be content with "feeling" like I got in a very good work out. And quite often it works.

IMO, I think a lot has to do with the way you train and how often. As I aged I stopped being able to train a body part every four days. I was just sore and then making no gains. When I went to whole body training three times a week it all started falling back into place again. My size came back and some.
There is a specific rhythm and method to whole body training to make it truly work best. That's a learning curve in and of it's self. But I feel that's the answer(it was for me) to this question.

CG

IMO, I think a lot has to do with the way you train and how often. As I aged I stopped being able to train a body part every four days. I was just sore and then making no gains. When I went to whole body training three times a week it all started falling back into place again. My size came back and some.
There is a specific rhythm and method to whole body training to make it truly work best. That's a learning curve in and of it's self. But I feel that's the answer(it was for me) to this question.

CG

CG - I'm really interested in your split, # of exercises/body part, sets, reps, etc. if you don't mind sharing. I'm heading into my later 40's and need to try this type of training.

Much appreciated.

At 53 im the biggest and leanest ive every been. 5'06" 270. My split is Monday chest 6 exercises 4 sets ea. Tuesday back same 24 sets, Wednesday bis/tris 16 sets ea. Thurs. Hams 16 set shoulders 16 sets Friday quads 24 sets. Sat/sun cardio. I do 30 cardio everyday. I.use a lot more machines now so im.able to train fast and train for the feel and pump. Still pretty heavy. Plenty of time to recover and no joint pain. Bottom line if you have healthy joints and train smart you can still geow. Naturally i dont know but you do not need to do heavy cycles i dont and never have.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws