over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

GDA's - Worth the cost?

02z06

Registered
Morning PM,
I'm up early & of course scouring the internet for various shit. I've been doing some reading on various GDA's(glucose disposal agents), such as Partition MD, and True Nutrition's MD's Ultimate Glucose Disposal Agent.

From my understanding these products are great for those who tend to toss on fat quickly from carbs.

I'd like to hear some experiences whether they are legitimately worth the cost. Years ago I took ALA on refeed days but it's been a long time since I've done that & I don't remember any discernible effects.

Also, if you like them, what is your favorite method of using them? Pre-workout? I noticed John Meadows video on them mentioned keeping them far away from training for certain individuals.

Well...you can buy ALA, Berberine, etc. Pretty cheap from places like Swansons. Is the price worth the effects? Id say yes.

I would ask the question why do the guys pushing those products so hard as being extremely effective and worth the money turn around and use Metformin to actually do the job that said supplement is supposed to be doing.

In short NO they are not worth the money.

Metformin is way cheaper and way more effective.

I take 600mg of ALA pre-bed. This is relatively inexpensive and, in theory, it sets up a slightly better fat burning night time environment.

I disagree with those that try to use GDAs or metformin to counteract a cheat meal. This is not likely to be effective as there is no proven selectivity to muscle tissue.

I take 600mg of ALA pre-bed. This is relatively inexpensive and, in theory, it sets up a slightly better fat burning night time environment.

I disagree with those that try to use GDAs or metformin to counteract a cheat meal. This is not likely to be effective as there is no proven selectivity to muscle tissue.

I AGREE actually , my context is not in offsetting a cheat meal , simply all around effectiveness of the agent in general

Just use a hard intense workout as your GDA.:lightbulb:

I would ask the question why do the guys pushing those products so hard as being extremely effective and worth the money turn around and use Metformin to actually do the job that said supplement is supposed to be doing.

arent there some studies out there that show that berberine works almost as well or just as well as metformin? i havent read them in depth but i recall seeing a few.

I AGREE actually , my context is not in offsetting a cheat meal , simply all around effectiveness of the agent in general

spot on my opinion also!
i have used more or less all the otc GDAs with medium to good ressults..
one thing i noticed is that i have to use a higher dose as the recomended to realy see a benefit from them and also to be noticed visualy on my body and physicaly if that makes any sense..
when i firstly used metformin ( at 1000-1500mg daily ) i have to say the results outblow the results from the otc stuff by a mile!
and in comparison with the price ...
i beleive strongly metformin is the best bet

i agree with that !!

Utilize berberine and metformin....monitor BG. Berberine is VERY affective...along the lines of metformin.

For the purpose most are shooting for, this is exactly right! Intense training will initiate selective GLUT-4 translocation.

Right, the issue is that translocation only is unregulated for X hours post workout. So why not utilize a GDA outside of that window.

as there is no proven selectivity to muscle tissue.

Jrock,

That's what I had always thought. I thought up until this point, none of these GDA's are selective to muscle cells, and some of them in studies have even caused fat gain (Avandia, etc..)

In this video, Matt Porter talks about how Metformin has shown to be selective to Muscle cells.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFj6WbA1zFo"]In the Car with MPA: METFORMIN AND BODYBUILDING - YouTube[/ame]

What do you guys think?

R-ALA question.
Ive read it has a very short active half life of.....20min or so. Is there a reliable Extended Release version?

Awesome discussion guys! I appreciate all the feedback & keep it coming!

On another note - I have never used Intra-workout carbs(that is what got me looking at GDA's)...

To veer off topic slightly - for those that have used Wazy Maize Starch as opposed to something like HBCD - have you noticed any differences in regards to absorbability?

Awesome discussion guys! I appreciate all the feedback & keep it coming!

On another note - I have never used Intra-workout carbs(that is what got me looking at GDA's)...

To veer off topic slightly - for those that have used Wazy Maize Starch as opposed to something like HBCD - have you noticed any differences in regards to absorbability?

Difference for me is in the digestibility

Jrock,

That's what I had always thought. I thought up until this point, none of these GDA's are selective to muscle cells, and some of them in studies have even caused fat gain (Avandia, etc..)

In this video, Matt Porter talks about how Metformin has shown to be selective to Muscle cells.

In the Car with MPA: METFORMIN AND BODYBUILDING - YouTube

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the link.

I think it comes down to what you are hoping to achieve with the GDA and/or metformin. There is a current thread that discusses metformin in detail and there seems to be some nice health benefits to this drug. However, the consensus is that it's effects build over time and a single dose is not likely to do much.

These substances may help with overall insulin sensitivity, which is a very good thing. Perhaps those on low dose GH or peptides would benefit. I still like the small bedtime dose best.

One thing I would not do is dose around workout. We know for sure the is nutrient uptake selectivity at this time. Why chance taking something that may also trigger fat storage?

I'm going to grab some ala just as it seems the easiest option. It seems here are a million and one opinions on when/how to dose.

Could I get some recommendations from experienced users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to grab some ala just as it seems the easiest option. It seems here are a million and one opinions on when/how to dose.

Could I get some recommendations from experienced users?

Take 600 mg a day. Either split 300/300 or take all 600 before your biggest meal. I do it that way and works very well. Take extra vit C and E as the ALA recycles it.

Currently I have no carb meals on off training days, and only have one pre workout, and 2 post workout carb meals on training days.

Would you keep it only on training days? What about timing it just around those meals?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828