over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

GEARDEPOT TIP OF THE WEEK **LEG CURLS/HAMS**

Geardepot

Guaranteed Sponsor
Registered
Sponsors
Hamstring training.

Lying leg curls on machine

This is one of the most screwed up exercises I see people doing in the gym. Done incorrectly it can be a pretty big waste of your time. Done correctly it can be one of the best ways to build mass on your ham and drive deep cuts into your leg. Here is how I do them:

Find a lying leg curl machine. I like the ones that are angled so your head is lower then your glutes, most machine have some degree of drop, but I like the ones that are pretty pronounced.

Lay on the machine face down and see where your heels line up on the pad. . adjust the pad (that goes over your heels) so it goes directly over your heels ( not over your calves). Adjust the weight stake to 30% of what you probably normally do. Now lay back down face down and pull yourself into position. I always tell my guys to hike themselves forward on the machine as to pull your hips down towards the handles you hold with your hands so your knees are hanging just a few inches off the machine. Now before you even think about doing a rep I want you to squeeze your glutes as hard as you can. This will activate your hams and it forces your hips to stay down on the machine and not lift up off of it. Ok, squeeze them hard and now curl the weight up. As you raise it up you should not go fast with it at all, give it 2-3 sec to get it all the way up. Now raise it as far as you can while keeping the hips down against the machine. Remember to keep the glutes tight the whole time. Very few people can get the pad on their heels to hit their ass in the full positive portion of the rep, if you are doing this you are probably raising your gluts off the machine. Now at the very most positive position of the rep when you are curled up as far as you can go I want you to lift your knees off the machine as to create a gab between the machine and your knees/quads. This will create the most intense burn in your hams and glutes you have ever felt. Lift the knees up like this for about 2-3 sec then lower the heels back down to the starting position of the exercise (your knees will automatically come back in contact with the machine) but remember to keep your glutes flexed thru the whole negative portion of the rep. The negative portion of the rep should take about 3 sec as well. When you get all the way down you can unflex the glutes for about 1-2 sec. before you re squeeze them and repeat the same process for the 2nd rep.

Do 3 sets of 8-20 reps and you will be amazed at the amount of stress and new fiber recruitment it added to ham training.

if you train your hams like this on the lying leg curl machine I will guarantee you will see a noticeable difference in the way they develop. I will also guarantee you will be more sore the next day then you have been in a very long time.

Any of you guys who compete and have issues with getting the glute/ham tie in to separate this will defiantly do it for you.

This is an advanced technique meant for guys who are wanting to take their hamstring development to the next level. You have to check your ego at the door and be abel to endure an extreme amount of pain as this will feel like someone is sticking a knife into your hams and twisting it. If it does not feel like this you are doing it wrong.

Once you finish up with this its good to do some intense stretching of the hams and lower back as they will be pretty tight.

Give it a try and let your hams start growing.

I want to let all you guys know these are just my techniques I have found to be effective in my training. This article is not meant to be the be all end all on ham training, just my take on it. Hope it works well for you.

If you have any questions please fee free to post them up.

G

Hamstring training.

This is one of the most screwed up exercises I see people doing in the gym. Done incorrectly it can be a pretty big waste of your time. Done correctly it can be one of the best ways to build mass on your ham and drive deep cuts into your leg. Here is how I do them:

Find a lying leg curl machine. I like the ones that are angled so your head is lower then your glutes, most machine have some degree of drop, but I like the ones that are pretty pronounced.

Lay on the machine face down and see where your heels line up on the pad. . adjust the pad (that goes over your heels) so it goes directly over your heels ( not over your calves). Adjust the weight stake to 30% of what you probably normally do. Now lay back down face down and pull yourself into position. I always tell my guys to hike themselves forward on the machine as to pull your hips down towards the handles you hold with your hands so your knees are hanging just a few inches off the machine. Now before you even think about doing a rep I want you to squeeze your glutes as hard as you can. This will activate your hams and it forces your hips to stay down on the machine and not lift up off of it. Ok, squeeze them hard and now curl the weight up. As you raise it up you should not go fast with it at all, give it 2-3 sec to get it all the way up. Now raise it as far as you can while keeping the hips down against the machine. Remember to keep the glutes tight the whole time. Very few people can get the pad on their heels to hit their ass in the full positive portion of the rep, if you are doing this you are probably raising your gluts off the machine. Now at the very most positive position of the rep when you are curled up as far as you can go I want you to lift your knees off the machine as to create a gab between the machine and your knees/quads. This will create the most intense burn in your hams and glutes you have ever felt. Lift the knees up like this for about 2-3 sec then lower the heels back down to the starting position of the exercise (your knees will automatically come back in contact with the machine) but remember to keep your glutes flexed thru the whole negative portion of the rep. The negative portion of the rep should take about 3 sec as well. When you get all the way down you can unflex the glutes for about 1-2 sec. before you re squeeze them and repeat the same process for the 2nd rep.

Do 3 sets of 8-20 reps and you will be amazed at the amount of stress and new fiber recruitment it added to ham training.

if you train your hams like this on the lying leg curl machine I will guarantee you will see a noticeable difference in the way they develop. I will also guarantee you will be more sore the next day then you have been in a very long time.

Any of you guys who compete and have issues with getting the glute/ham tie in to separate this will defiantly do it for you.

This is an advanced technique meant for guys who are wanting to take their hamstring development to the next level. You have to check your ego at the door and be abel to endure an extreme amount of pain as this will feel like someone is sticking a knife into your hams and twisting it. If it does not feel like this you are doing it wrong.

Once you finish up with this its good to do some intense stretching of the hams and lower back as they will be pretty tight.

I want to let all you guys know these are just my techniques I have found to be effective in my training. This article is not meant to be the be all end all on ham training, just my take on it. Hope it works well for you.

G

Awesome tip....I always feel an insane pump when I control the weight on the negative portion of the movement.

Gonna give this a try next leg day. Looks intense.

I used to something very similar...

I admit, I like moving bigger weight to do this now :eek: but a trainer taught me a very similar tip years and years ago (might be the same actually)

- flex/lift your glutes so they are locked and it raises your femur's up in the air a little (lifting the knee's off the pad a bit)... keep it locked like that, then curl... it will prevent you from hoisting your butt up with your hip flexors... need to use A LOT LESS weight

Gonna give this a try next leg day. Looks intense.

Please do bro, let me know how it works for ya. If you can do it consistently for a your ham workouts for a 6 week period I'll bet you'll notice it will make a difference in the way they development.

I admit, I like moving bigger weight to do this now :eek: but a trainer taught me a very similar tip years and years ago (might be the same actually)

- flex/lift your glutes so they are locked and it raises your femur's up in the air a little (lifting the knee's off the pad a bit)... keep it locked like that, then curl... it will prevent you from hoisting your butt up with your hip flexors... need to use A LOT LESS weight

Oh ya, you have to use a lot less weight man. its not something you do when your trying to impress the ladies in the gym lol.

g

Hamstring training.

G
I been doing this movement for quit some time and it has been very rewarding to me I pick it from lee haney Thanks for the reminder because sometime certain muscle stimulation workout slips my mind. By the way the lemon water is on point just like you said i cant stop drinking it my girl friend is hook on it now and my family and friends as well LOL!

Last edited:
I been doing this movement for quit some time and it has been very rewarding to me I pick it from lee haney Thanks for the reminder because sometime certain muscle stimulation workout slips my mind. By the way the lemon water is on point just like you said i cant stop drinking it my girl friend is hook on it now and my family and friends as well LOL!

Hey thats great news bro. The lemon water works pretty well, once you see how good you feel after doing it you dont really ever want to stop. I'm glad to hear you tried it brother.

g

Hamstring training.

G

i just tried this in my chest/ham session today

dropped the weights and did it according to how u said..

and it hurt so much lol....was great..ill b doing it from now on...u can notice the difference like crazy

i like this tip I have tried it some of the way but not squeezing the glutes will try on next ham workout.

Hey, I'm glad you guys like them. I will try to post some more often here. If any of you have anything to add to this thread please do. I'm always open to new suggestions :)

Hey, I'm glad you guys like them. I will try to post some more often here. If any of you have anything to add to this thread please do. I'm always open to new suggestions :)

Great tips GD. Another way to make the set extracalifragilisticexpeeyallodocious is to tack on 25 partials from the bottom part of the movement at the end of the set, as shown is the video below....INSANE pump.

JM

YouTube - legcurlswintensity.MPG

I'll have to try that, thanks.

I find the standing single leg curl hits a lot better cause you can sort of rotate you hip/foot.

I used to use a similar strategy when I used the seated leg curl machine. It makes lifting up easier to do and you really get that peak contraction. I had to be really carefull doing it that way because I would get a charley horse in my hamstring if I went too hard on it, talk about serious pain!

Another thing I learned about doing lying leg curls is to make sure that you keep your toes pointed the whole time and do not flex your ankle joint. Keep the toes pointed straight the whole time ( keep the foot extended at the ankle join. ONce you start flexing the foot/ankle joint you will start using the gastroc muscle to help flex the knee joint and that takes stress off the hamstrings. I would sometimes do my leg curls to failure with toes pointed and then when I could do no more that way I would flex the foot and then be able to crank out 3 or more reps more!

Great tips GD. Another way to make the set extracalifragilisticexpeeyallodocious is to tack on 25 partials from the bottom part of the movement at the end of the set, as shown is the video below....INSANE pump.

JM

YouTube - legcurlswintensity.MPG
and insane BURN :eek:

GD i posted over at gymbag on your thread that john had me doing those partials and man they are NICE! crazy pump, crazy burn :headbang:

Will be giving this a try next week, my legs need the most attention ryte now.

I really like this post GD. I will be giving this a try tomorrow actually, thanks alot man.

Great post GD. Hamstrings are a weak point to my physique. I'm trying to get them better. Couple weeks ago I said fuck it, I'll try it with 50% less weight and recruit all hamstrings with no momentum and it the mind muscle connection was insane. Good to see a sponsor posting bodybuilding training techniques;)

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear