over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Genetics are a bitch

SL1CED

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
My roomate is 19 years old, too. Same as me, but genetics are an absolute bitch.

He's not on any athletic team, does not work out consistently, refuses to run, eats fast food more than anyone else I know and is absolutely chiseled. What gives?

I'm trying to get him into going to the gym with me, cause I know by calendar year's end if he listened to me he'd be even bigger.

He's 6'1...about 183lbs but absolutely etched. 8-pack with extreme vascularity. He did a push press for the first time with me last Tuesday and repped out 135lb like it was a warm up. His working set was about 160lbs, or 155lbs I don't remember. First time ever.

Was squatting 225 on his last set too, and those were the first times he did squats.

His daily food is burger, fries and soft serve at lunch and pasta & pizza at dinner with soft serve again. Throughout the day he snacks on cheetos, chewy bars, oreo's, and pretzel sticks with nutella dip.

Is this discouraging to any of you folks? In college, it's real discouraging. He's an exception, but most kids around here my height, about 20lbs heavier and 90% of that just muscle, eat like shit and operate just fine. I'm here eating clean to the grain, weak as shit, etc. Very frustrating.

/rant.

Focus on your workouts and stay consistent with the lifestyle. By the time you are 24 the roles will be reversed.

Time is the great equalizer.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This is true :)

Focus on your workouts and stay consistent with the lifestyle. By the time you are 24 the roles will be reversed.

Yeah I know, it's just a little unfair. I just have to take it to the chin.

At some point his eating habits will catch up to him. espeically if he is not even that active.

I think we all go through this in bodybuilding-you cannot compare yourself to someone with genetic gifts.
Alot of us on here wish we had it like others, but we dont, thats part of what keeps us driven.
Just keep on working hard and making improvements.

My roomate is 19 years old, too. Same as me, but genetics are an absolute bitch.

He's not on any athletic team, does not work out consistently, refuses to run, eats fast food more than anyone else I know and is absolutely chiseled. What gives?

I'm trying to get him into going to the gym with me, cause I know by calendar year's end if he listened to me he'd be even bigger.

He's 6'1...about 183lbs but absolutely etched. 8-pack with extreme vascularity. He did a push press for the first time with me last Tuesday and repped out 135lb like it was a warm up. His working set was about 160lbs, or 155lbs I don't remember. First time ever.

Was squatting 225 on his last set too, and those were the first times he did squats.

His daily food is burger, fries and soft serve at lunch and pasta & pizza at dinner with soft serve again. Throughout the day he snacks on cheetos, chewy bars, oreo's, and pretzel sticks with nutella dip.

Is this discouraging to any of you folks? In college, it's real discouraging. He's an exception, but most kids around here my height, about 20lbs heavier and 90% of that just muscle, eat like shit and operate just fine. I'm here eating clean to the grain, weak as shit, etc. Very frustrating.

/rant.

6'1" and 183 is skinny, not chiseled imo. Like others said, don't worry about anyone else but yourself. Maybe post your daily diet and training routine. There are a lot of guys on this board that know a shit ton about gaining size and strength.

i have a friend like... hit or miss on working out and is just ripped.. big time pot head, junk food lover, boozer... u name it. BUT he doesnt have the size i have, so he can keep the ripped soft muscle :)

seems like everyone has a friend like this. I have one also. Finally last year he decided to get into the gym and he basically gained and kept a solid 20lbs and is still ripped. His diet is shit, it's all genetics. It's so frustrating it will make you want to slap your momma!
just find out what works for you.

You guys ever consider that you are too strict on your diet and that is the source of your problem?? People say the same thing about me. I eat fried chicken, fast food, and mountains of other calorie dense foods all day everyday. I'm 5'9 and a tight 262lbs with well seperated and defined abs although my stomach is a little distended. Strict diet 24 / 7 will lead to a drop in your metabolic rate and very little if any muscle growth.

You guys ever consider that you are too strict on your diet and that is the source of your problem?? People say the same thing about me. I eat fried chicken, fast food, and mountains of other calorie dense foods all day everyday. I'm 5'9 and a tight 262lbs with well seperated and defined abs although my stomach is a little distended. Strict diet 24 / 7 will lead to a drop in your metabolic rate and very little if any muscle growth.

X2-you gotta eat!

6'1" and 183 is skinny, not chiseled imo. Like others said, don't worry about anyone else but yourself. Maybe post your daily diet and training routine. There are a lot of guys on this board that know a shit ton about gaining size and strength.

Quit analyzing numbers like that. When you're 183lbs and about 6-7% body fat with visible separation just about everywhere, it's freakish. Kid has 17inch arms at 19 years old with limited to no training. That is freaky.

As for my daily diet, etc. I'm working with alex azarian. I was just ranting...that's all.

i have a friend like... hit or miss on working out and is just ripped.. big time pot head, junk food lover, boozer... u name it. BUT he doesnt have the size i have, so he can keep the ripped soft muscle :)

It's annoying.

seems like everyone has a friend like this. I have one also. Finally last year he decided to get into the gym and he basically gained and kept a solid 20lbs and is still ripped. His diet is shit, it's all genetics. It's so frustrating it will make you want to slap your momma!
just find out what works for you.

It's everyone around me, not just him. He's the ultimate exception. He's my roomate. I wake up near him, have my meals with him, chill with him, etc.

I live in pretty much guido and meathead central. They at least work out. This kid does jack shit and is built.

It's really just genetics. If I ate like that, I turn soft. I saw myself before I dieted, I saw myself before I dieted & trainer, and before I just trained.

good points, just in the past couple of years i went from average to clearly known as one of the strongest guys at my gym, but still average size thoe, but my strength for some reason just went throught the roof

He's 19 bro....he will not maintain that "8pack" and all forever eating like that.
Lets see what he looks like at 33 with that kind of diet...just keep your head up and stay consistant with diet and training.

yep-My older brother is always lean, and eats a ton of food. I gain 5 pounds when I drive by a Carl's Jr. On the flip side, with diet and exercise, I can gain muscle much faster than he can. Gotta do the most with what you got.

could be worse...

LMAO at the title of this thread!

I totally hear ya, man… but it could be worse… my brother looks like a friggin model and eats fast food multiple times/day - basically all the shit you listed and then some. …oh, and then there is his beer consumption… (which, alone, would pack lard on most people, even with the cleanest of diets :rolleyes:)

Right now, my bro dose work out, (although only about 1/10 of the time it would take most ppl to look even half as good as him). Not that he needs to though... he still looked amazing even when he was in college, partying like crazy and going months w/o working out. :(

Talk about discouraging! It's not like I’m asking for a license to eat crap and still look great; but I spend a few hours/day training my ass off and make a ton of other sacrifices (weighing/measuring food down to the gram, counting calories/macros, etc), and STILL look like shit (average). The worst part is, (cuz he's my bro and looks so amazing), people think my lack of results is from lack of effort/laziness, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Those guys have higher natural test levels than most....

...and/or wicked high GH levels, as in the case of my 6'6" bro :D

The thing about genetics...

Maybe you look awesome and don't put on fat but have a family history of cancer, heart disease, psych problems etc.

Just because some are genetically gifted on the outside doesn't mean they are on the inside.

Also, age is a good equalizer. I ran into a fella that was just ripped and big naturally when I wrestled in H.S. He didnt have to diet to make weight, he had freaky, full muscle bellies and looked like he spent hours in the gym every day when in reality, he worked out far less than most.

Today, 20 years later, he has a pot belly and small arms. Just goes to show that genetics can be hard to determine. Honestly, I hate the way genetics get brought up all the time. Hard work, dedication and sacrifice are just as important. Once you tap into those qualities, I think only then, true genetic potential can be realized!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131