over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

German Shepherd "hot spots"?

LeatherHead

Newbies
My 10 year old boy has what everyone calls hot spots. He chews and chews on a spot, until it's dripping with blood. I got some of the hot spot spray, but that seems to be a very short relief for him. I feel so bad for him. I bathe him once or twice a month at most. He only goes outside to go for a walk, or to go out in the back yard to take care of business. Anyone have any good tried and true remedies that they can recommend?
I also have a long hair chihuahua, and he doesn't scratch, bite, or anything. This itchy issue is strictly with the big dog.

Here's a couple of pics of my boys.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 6,683
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 1,219
My 10 year old boy has what everyone calls hot spots. He chews and chews on a spot, until it's dripping with blood. I got some of the hot spot spray, but that seems to be a very short relief for him. I feel so bad for him. I bathe him once or twice a month at most. He only goes outside to go for a walk, or to go out in the back yard to take care of business. Anyone have any good tried and true remedies that they can recommend?
I also have a long hair chihuahua, and he doesn't scratch, bite, or anything. This itchy issue is strictly with the big dog.

Yes, give him dogtorrx, go to Dogtor Rx K9 Longevity a Natural Remedy for Dog Ailments money back guarantee

my dogs going through the same thing I'll have to give it a try thanks

My shepherd had one last year. It was a fungus. the doc gave me a yellow spray that killed it in about a week. ill see if I can find out what it was

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzduke.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzduke.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Last edited:

What are you feeding him?So many problems stem from nutrition.you wouldnt believe the garbage they put into dogfood.I feed all my dogs the raw diet,you can get it premade and portioned to take the guess work out.Ive seen alot of medical issues vanish from friends pets when they switched.

Catdagger1

My shepherd had one last year. It was a fungus. the doc gave me a yellow spray that killed it in about a week. ill see if I can find out what it was

Thats a great looking dog... my "gunther" is haveing same problem also... I am going to ask vet for that spray, havent had him to vet in a while anyway, so it's time... He is a big boy also but a big baby if anybody tries to touch him other than me lol!!! P1010203.jpg

As noted, the diet may be causing it and ur dog may need a slightly higher protein intake...stay away from grain or corn based food...natural diet food is available but is more expensive...they don't eat as much.

Also, just a cortisone cream at any pharm will work as it takes the itch out of it and will help disinfect same...the no itch will decrease the urge to bite at it...wash it with another pharm off shelf product...stanhexidine (a chlorhexidine solution) which may be about 10.00...before adding creme..good luck with this.

Nice Chi / shephard... Heres my baby =)
2010-03-23211118.jpg

Thats a great looking dog... my "gunther" is haveing same problem also... I am going to ask vet for that spray, havent had him to vet in a while anyway, so it's time... He is a big boy also but a big baby if anybody tries to touch him other than me lol!!! View attachment 41702

Nice white sheph! =)

Nice Chi / shephard... Heres my baby =)
2010-03-23211118.jpg

Nice white sheph! =)

Thank you, Whites have screws lose in there big heads though lol. Gunther is such a big baby around me and my family, but look out if you are not known to him. He scares even me when a stranger is introduced to him, I got the full brunt of his bite once and believe me it almost caused me to pass out and the bite was only in the hand. I told the dude not to get to close and the numb nuts tried to bend down and pet him, I knew what was about to happen and through myself in front of the dog and the dude but Gunther went on the attack I was just in time or I would have lost my house and been on the streets (He actually punctured my hand all the way through). You have a great (cutie pie) pouch also bro!!!

It generally can be allergy related. My half Sheppard/Akita gets them as well, and it is always around the same time of year. The fall is the worst for her. She was getting them so bad I had to take her to a doggie dermatologist. Progression went basically like this:

Benadryl - 1mg per pound of bodyweight. On severe outbreaks can go up to 2mg per pound of bodyweight for limited time. However, on those bad outbreaks best thing to do is go to Vet and get her Benadryl injection and steroidal shot.

Hydroxyzine - Supposed to be more effective than Benadryl, but didn't work for us. Never stopped outbreak.

Special Diets - no help.

Cyclosporine - the nuclear bomb of allergy treatments, with price tag to match. Absolute wonder drug! With this medicine all of Coco's itching, scratching, hot spots, etc disappeared. On rare occasion she would get a hot spot here or there, but totally livable.

Yes my dog had to go with the most expensive option available, but.... In the Fall I almost had to be on watch 24 hours a day with her. If she got a hot spot when I wasn't around she'd chew it absolutely bloody in minutes. I had to bring her everywhere with me. Now with Cyclosporine I don't even have to worry about her having a scratch year round.

The good news: 5 years ago it would cost me $300 a month in Cyclo to keep her sedate, this past Fall it was down to $150 a month thanks to the growing generic market. This is a double dose of med's for her, which she needs peak seasons. The rest of the year half a dose is sufficient, costing us $80 per month. Every year it does go down. The dose is weight dependent FYI, and Coco is a 100 lb girl. For smaller dogs cost would be much less.

My Bulldog gets hot spots two to three times a year. He looks moth eaten. We were told by the vet that it's bacterial. Cephalexin clears it up in about a month.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member