over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

German volume training?

football101

Registered
Any comments on its effectivness to pack on size. Iv been doing it for a week and the workouts are brutally hard. Sorness is extreme the next day. I do the ten sets of ten with 1 minute breaks. Mon/Wed/Fri. Going to try it out and see how it works. Anyone try it with success? Comments and suggestions are more then welcome.

I tried it several years back. I dont remember the exact results but it was a fairly good routine. I did a 4 day split. I constantly change my routine probably every 6-8 weeks and dont do the same excercises more than 2 weeks in a row. Keeps it interesting and fun.

I tried it years back. I could easily get burned out on it.

I used it years ago. I felt it built solid foundational strength so you can move on to new programs in the future using heavier weights. I do think the basic template lacks variety and would prefer to see various angles, rep ranges, tempos...etc. to force adaptation.

I remeber I did an Optimized Volume training (OVT) as well, which used compound supersets. This did have the variety in exercises and stimulus but after about 10 weeks or so, the volume seemed to wear on my joints.

One thing I dont like about it is the lack of variety. Other then that its a very hard program a lot of people probably couldnt do it. It wouldnt be around if it didnt work. So nothing to lose by trying it. Im expecting to lose strength becasue it is not designed for that. But want to focus on general size. Overall did you guys find you got some decent size doing it? Assuming gear wasnt used or was minimal with the program. Im doing a push pull legs split to allow more rest. One minute breaks as well. So only three days per week becasue of cns fatigue that comes with doing this type of workout. Again comments and suggestions are more then welcome.

One thing I dont like about it is the lack of variety. Other then that its a very hard program a lot of people probably couldnt do it. It wouldnt be around if it didnt work. So nothing to lose by trying it. Im expecting to lose strength becasue it is not designed for that. But want to focus on general size. Overall did you guys find you got some decent size doing it? Assuming gear wasnt used or was minimal with the program. Im doing a push pull legs split to allow more rest. One minute breaks as well. So only three days per week becasue of cns fatigue that comes with doing this type of workout. Again comments and suggestions are more then welcome.

I wasn't eating as much as I should have been at the time, but had good recomposition effects. I would bet if I upped my kcals I would have seen much better overall size gains.

You are certainly going to induce tissue damage with GVT and with proper nutrition those muscle fibers will hypertrophy. Just like anything else, you don't know until you do it yourself.

Would anyone consider this type of workout over training for someone who is natural? Two weeks in and always very sore to the point were i cant walk because it hurts so much. Every body part is like that. Wondering if ill adapt. Three days a week does not seem like to much. I always do three sets of complimentary work with major muscle groups as well to stay balanced.Did people find themselves over trained doing this?

Would anyone consider this type of workout over training for someone who is natural? Two weeks in and always very sore to the point were i cant walk because it hurts so much. Every body part is like that. Wondering if ill adapt. Three days a week does not seem like to much. I always do three sets of complimentary work with major muscle groups as well to stay balanced.Did people find themselves over trained doing this?

Absolutely not. You force your body to adapt.

Right football no offence but you seem the classic ADD trainee.
You have used it for a week and want to know what others think, or trying to gauge if you should dump it.

What are you hoping for in a week?

GVT is an awesome routine, I've done it as a natty and its fine. You need to suck it up for 6 weeks at least then look at a de load then look at 10x6 as poliqiun suggests.

If you change the exercises from a single compound to more then its no longer gvt. Gvt works because of the single exercise selection and induced fatigue based on that one lift per body part. If you are new to lifting you need to understand this stuff takes time and quick fix workouts that pack on 20lbs are to be found next to the leprechaun near the pot of gold. Stick it out keep upping the poundage and blast the food

tried it once, it works but was murder on tendons,

I like Phil's training or DC style.

More rest.

However, when i showed my friends my routine, they laughted at how low the volume was and thought of it as a pussy.

So do you use the same weight on all 10 sets? And when do you know to up the weight? A little confused...

So only failure on last set?

I'm doing the exact same routine 10 X 10 with 1 minute in between sets and I love it, blasted through a plateau and have been adding some decent muscle.

For arms though I don't do the 10 sets, I do 6 for biceps and 8 for triceps. I know my body and I'd be overtraining if I did the full 10 sets for such a small muscle group.

So do you use the same weight on all 10 sets? And when do you know to up the weight? A little confused...

So only failure on last set?

You're supposed to pick a weight that you could do to 20 reps till failure.

The first three sets are easy but by set 8, 9, 10 your muscles are so fatigued you can't finish the 10 reps.

I recommend GVT to everyone. It doesn't build a ton of strength, but it builds mass like nobody's business.

Oh ok that makes sense. I thought the last 2 sets i would have to drop the weight by 5lbs. But now i see its ok to do only 7 reps on last set if i cant make it.

Im just finally coming back from an injury. Heres my gvt routine that i put together.(slap tear, herniated disc... So my exercises are limited)

Gvt
Monday
Hammer chest press 10x10
Hammer grip pull up 10x10
Shoulder lateral 10x10
Tuesday - stomach vacumes for 15 min
Wednesday
Leg curl 10 x 10
Seated Calf 5 x 10
Shrugs 7 sets- 10-20

Thursday 10x10 weighted half crunches..

Friday
Tricep vbar pull down 10x10
Incline Dumbbell Curls 10 x 10

60 sec rest..8 weeks ill run it for.

Last edited:
Made some fair gains on GVT and OGVT.
Both time i ran it was off cycle since u have to back off the poundage to work the 10 or 5 sets it helped me get over the feeling weaker issue. The pump when performed correct tends to be sick as well another benefit when coming off cycle. (jus for me of course). :D

Sent from my Galaxy Siii Taptalk2

I've been itching to try this for a while now, but I fear that a higher volume of a limited number of exercises would be more conducive to overuse injuries. Doesn't take much for my shoulders these days...

Idk about German volume yet, 10x10 seems ok, but seems outdated....from what I hear- Irish volume training is slightly better, Its 11 sets of 11, but that's only for hormonized trainees... For natties- turkish volume training is proven the best- 9.6 sets of 9.2reps and ther hav been many that swore this... Lol

Any comments on its effectivness to pack on size. Iv been doing it for a week and the workouts are brutally hard. Sorness is extreme the next day. I do the ten sets of ten with 1 minute breaks. Mon/Wed/Fri. Going to try it out and see how it works. Anyone try it with success? Comments and suggestions are more then welcome.

I tried it back in the day 2000? or so ...first time I did it I threw up.;)
As others said you can easily OT on it....too much volume for me being a heavy low set low rep guy...
People that love volume training could progress very well on it I guess.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws