over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gettin personal

So we do a whole lot of taking about training and drugs and blah blah blah....but one thing I’ve been finding more and more interesting as I grow up is how different people got into the sport. And what are some key things or personality traits that have lent themselves to this endeavor.

For me, I was always a skinny kid, got picked on here and there, but nothing crazy. But I HATED being skinny. I was 6’1” and 141 pounds at my high school graduation. I looked like a little boy. I saw pictures of the guys in the muscle mags and comic books and I wanted that more than anything. Never could find any interest in the actual training though.
Fast forward to I’m 19 and professionally racing enduro races for KTM. Ended up in a terrible crash at 90 mph that left me with fractured vertebrae, a herniated disk, and eventual crippling sciatica. During physical therapy for this I actually started to put in some muscle and I liked this. I went and signed up at the local gym which looked like a tiny little ymca inside, but actually had some legit equipment and was open 24 hours a day, and I was hooked for life.

Fast forward a billion years and I ate, trained, and drugged my way up to a 274 pound record holding powerlifter, and couple times bodybuilding competitor. I never really was hooked on the competitive part of either.....I really just enjoy looking big and powerful, and thankfully I have a metabolism fast enough to prevent me from ever looking tubby while doing so.
Speaking of which....the other part I want to hear is what helps you here. For me....the aforementioned metabolism. The bane of my existence in the beginning. I spent years and years trying to outrace my metabolism with total calories and food volume. Well over 400 grams of protein and 800 grams of carbs for years and years. But as I’ve aged I’ve come to appreciate this as I have to do very little to stay pretty lean. Just trying usually does this.
The other major contributor to my success has been world class OCD. When I’m committed to something, I’m committed. I’m 0 or 100. No in between. This drives my wife insane, I have no give when it comes to these things and it causes some stress and anxiety for me, but also causes me to be very meticulous. I don’t miss meals, ever. In ten years I must have missed a handful. I don’t miss training days. Unless I’m in the hospital I’m training, even if it’s just a light bike ride because I’m sick or injured. It’s a blessing and a curse, and I’ve worked very hard to find a happy medium.
Anyway....let’s hear your story

This sounds exactly like me:
-Ecto
-picked on growing up
-tall, skinny
-OCD
-never miss training days
-fast metabolism

never got as big as 274 though. 235 was my highest.

This sounds exactly like me:
-Ecto
-picked on growing up
-tall, skinny
-OCD
-never miss training days
-fast metabolism

never got as big as 274 though. 235 was my highest.
It was a long hard road man. I was miserably full for years on end

Started out playing sports then moved into boxing when I was 15 USA Amateur boxing. I fucking loved Mike Tyson I wanted to implement his style so much as a fighter anyone knows boxing I would trained on slip bags and did neck bridges just like him. I wanted to look like him so bad problem was I was 5’7 and 130lbs quit boxing got into mma added more muscle by then I’m 20 and I’m 150lbs. Never really was able to add mass being a fighter being so active and being so young still didn’t have a great understanding on nutrition as well. Obviously gave it up became a firefighter went crazy with bulking and cutting as a natural for years competed in a bodybuilding show as a natural until I finally started using gear. Now I’m between 175-200 depending on the season definitely. Love just training man honestly got over trying to get super big a few years ago doesn’t look good on me I feel like I’m to short lol.Now I just love to train and try to look good.

Great thread.

personally I started fucking around lifting in middle school, my old man was an Air Force colonel and ran an ROTC detachment for a couple years, so I started doing PT with the cadets. They took me lifting, it was fun af. I still remember the music they’d blast (Biggie, Outkast).

right around this time, I started getting super into martial arts, so plyometrics, lifting, and calisthenics were all in the mix through highschool.

I kept lifting in college during my own ROTC time, skinny af at 5’11” 175 lbs, but looked decent enough.

post college I got way more serious, and now 8 years later in my corporate white collar job I lift a couple hours a day to unplug and de stress and have fun. Put on a solid 60 lbs in those 8 years.

My shoulders were so wide at birth that my mother had to have a C Section. My dad, being a college football star, said to himself, "that's gonna be an NFL player, right there". My love for training began early. At age 12, I was making my own lifting equipment, made a lat pulldown pulley fuckin thing out of a tree in the back yard 😂

Much to his chagrin, I had absolutely zero interest in sports. My interests were purely academic until I hit puberty and wanted to look better for girls; not to mention I progressed at a very fast rate, even compared to my peers (90+% black high school). By the time I graduated high school, I was 220+lbs and benching low 400s. A running joke was that my pecs showed up for class before I did

After that was a fuckin shit show. Lost everything, blew up to 320lbs. Long story. On the mend, thinking I don't look too bad now...but I'm usually wrong

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear