over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting back into training after a long layoff

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I made a similar thread a few months ago but would love to see some fresh replies and thoughts. I've never taken more than a week off in over 10 years so this is uncharted territory for me. I've been out of the weight room for 6 months now. Hoping I can get back in there in less than 2 months but we will see. I was at my all time best summer of 2013 at a lean 230lbs (I'm 5'10). Now I'm around 195lbs, still relatively lean but not as much.

1) What was the longest layoff you've had from training?
2) How much muscle did you lose (or fat you gained) while you were idle?
3) How was muscle memory and how did you get back to your former self?
4) Did you try to lose fat first or recomp?
5) How soon did you implement a PED regimen and did you start on beginner doses again or get back to your usual doses?

I had a bleeding ulcer in August which caused other complications and required 9 units of blood transfusion. Doctor didn't let me workout for 2 months and its been 3.5 months since I started again. I was at my all time lowest and couldn't even raise my right arm over shoulders. I'm starting over and keeping my poundages progressing 5 lbs every week. Now I feel good and squatting in 400 range for reps. Planning to stay clean for at least 6 months before cycling again.

I had a bleeding ulcer in August which caused other complications and required 9 units of blood transfusion. Doctor didn't let me workout for 2 months and its been 3.5 months since I started again. I was at my all time lowest and couldn't even raise my right arm over shoulders. I'm starting over and keeping my poundages progressing 5 lbs every week. Now I feel good and squatting in 400 range for reps. Planning to stay clean for at least 6 months before cycling again.

Dam that sounds rough! Glad to see you're getting your strength back unenhanced

I'll let you know next week. Stopped training 10wks ago and plan to resume next week.

I have lost size, strength, and added fat. On a positive note my nagging shoulder pain seems to have subsided.

I am older lifter and have been down this road many times. The best advice is this:

1. Check your ego at the door.

2. Don't rush. Less is more when it comes to intensity and duration.

I listen to my body - it is often by week 4 that I am ramping up to a normal workout regiment.

3. Take time to do cardio. Less weights in the beginning? Do extra cardio. It will help recovery and get rid of that soreness quicker. Additionally, some of us like to be in the gym and this gives us more time.

4. Diet. If you haven't been doing so - NOW is the time to start eating clean and getting your diet in order.

Regarding PED's. I do not think it is unreasonable to start PED's sometime after week 4.

Last edited:
I'll let you know next week. Stopped training 10wks ago and plan to resume next week.

I have lost size, strength, and added fat. On a positive note my nagging shoulder pain seems to have subsided.

I am older lifter and have been down this road many times. The best advice is this:

1. Check your ego at the door.

2. Don't rush. Less is more when it comes to intensity and duration.

I listen to my body - it is often by week 4 that I am ramping up to a normal workout regiment.

3. Take time to do cardio. Less weights in the beginning? Do extra cardio. It will help recovery and get rid of that soreness quicker. Additionally, some of us like to be in the gym and this gives us more time.

4. Diet. If you haven't been doing so - NOW is the time to start eating clean and getting your diet in order.

Regarding PED's. I do not think it is unreasonable to start PED's sometime after week 4.

Awesome thanks!

just a thought

If soreness and pain occur try add bpc157 and tb500. That stuff is amazeing . Im 59 and hav never felt better lifting... pro

If soreness and pain occur try add bpc157 and tb500. That stuff is amazeing . Im 59 and hav never felt better lifting... pro

I'm using those now so my bone can heal faster and they are really working this time.

I wasn't completely idle in prison but it was no gym, we had no real weights we did what we could with what we had, so that being said I did workout but nothing like what I could in a regular gym, food was pathetic, and no sups or chems.

13 months I lost about 40 lbs of muscle maybe more gained about 8-10 % body fat.
Now Im 260 give or take h20 and carbs and Im about 12% (guessing) Its taken me close to 10 months to get back to about 80% or so.
Muscle memory, meh, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Its been a slow frustrating return but its like anything you just keep on going back for more.

I wasn't completely idle in prison but it was no gym, we had no real weights we did what we could with what we had, so that being said I did workout but nothing like what I could in a regular gym, food was pathetic, and no sups or chems.

13 months I lost about 40 lbs of muscle maybe more gained about 8-10 % body fat.
Now Im 260 give or take h20 and carbs and Im about 12% (guessing) Its taken me close to 10 months to get back to about 80% or so.
Muscle memory, meh, it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Its been a slow frustrating return but its like anything you just keep on going back for more.

I mean I'm sure the muscle memory helps a lot but if you're not chemically enhanced to the point you were before, there is no way you could ever get back to peak physique. I certainly don't expect such miracles. I'd say 80% is pretty dam good though considering you aren't on any AAS. The only crappy part is how long that took you.

I think I'll train 4-6 weeks on TRT and then load up for 8-12 weeks (nothing crazy) to get it back, then go back to TRT for good. Maybe one light blast a year but no more. My goals are just as much about health these days.

Bro epithalon may be of consideration for yourself. Those three i mentioned has cured my osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulder impingements .. ten times better than celebrex and i look and feel 10 yrs younger. Goodluck. Pro

i had surgery on my hernia in oct...started lifting way to soon and fucked it up more...so im gonna start lifting again in feb...longest ive taken off before this was 2 months and i always come right back..if you have a solid base (which im sure you do) i wouldnt even worry about it...

I made a similar thread a few months ago but would love to see some fresh replies and thoughts. I've never taken more than a week off in over 10 years so this is uncharted territory for me. I've been out of the weight room for 6 months now. Hoping I can get back in there in less than 2 months but we will see. I was at my all time best summer of 2013 at a lean 230lbs (I'm 5'10). Now I'm around 195lbs, still relatively lean but not as much.

5) How soon did you implement a PED regimen and did you start on beginner doses again or get back to your usual doses?

I am right there with you brother(though i was never close to your starting size) I am on my second/almost 3rd week back after a 7 month break from a torn labrum, torn front delt and a serious cocaine addiction.

In my 7 month break i went from being 198 at about 9% bodyfat (im 5'9) to 141 lbs and 16+% body fat.

Two weeks into being back i am sitting at 171lbs and id estimate 12-13% body fat, getting bigger and leaner every day.

In that 7 months off i did not touch and PEDS and i let my body just crash after on and off use of about 6 months prior.

I'm only 25 and have great bodybuilding genetics but more injury's than most of the vets here combined, so lifting heavy is something i will never even attempt again. (i have 7 partial tears and degenerated disc disease from getting my spine crushed when i was 15, carpel tunnel in both wrist from pro video game playing) I'm a walking liability when it comes to tears, even though i have only had 2 happen in the gym.

I am following Ben paks m140 to a T as it allows me to feel like im lifting branch warren style weights but with full control and for the first time in my lifting career i fully feel my muscles firing.

I will be posting plenty of before and after pics of this road back.

The one thing i can tell you is muscle memory is the greatest thing on earth you littraly grow every single day while shedding body fat on a huge calorie surplus.

My diet is based of John Ms mt dog diet, and so far in these 3 weeks back i have had 0 cheat meals(eventually i will add one a week)

I have started sups again immediately running 500test c and 400 deca a week, and today i just started 5mg of dac a week with 25 mk(Following russinstars protocol)

It may seem like a lot for a guy as small as me, but hey i honestly am 100% dedicated to this so what the hell.

The hardest thing for me to deal with is the looks people give me when i'm pressing 20lb dumbbells, but in 4 weeks when im twice there size .. fuck em.

I promise you, you will be back to you old size and not bigger withing 6-8 weeks, the human body is unreal.

...Sorry for the terrible typing, i have a typing disorder because of the years of pro gaming, i auto abbreviate it don't use full sentences(yes its an actual condition high level gamers have). Basically i type as if i were 3 years old.. oh well... Best of luck and get back in there and tear it up!

This layoff, about 3 years.

About 25lbs. Or 2 stone in the UK.

I've been back training for the last 5 months and my shape, size and strength is coming back. But I am probably eating the best diet I've ever eaten. Clean, high in calories, cardio 4x week 30mins.

No. Always been about 10-13% body fat, I have my genetics to thank for that.

Been on HRT since stopping lifting, not upped T dosage, or plan too. I'm happy on 150mg/wk Test and being healthy. I will use my diet and perhaps peptides to get back to where I was.

Steroids fuck with my lipids too much, acne and gyno. Have no interested in running them. Perhaps use Clen for added fat loss.

I'm 29 next month and am more interested in getting my shape back, a little size, staying healthy and looking after my body. Fuck the size game, was never for me anyway due to genetics.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws