over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting lean without cardio

Ivanko

Registered
Have you ever gotten very lean without cardio?
I've been dieting for about 2 months. I'm in no rush so I've just been eating very clean and training. Suprisingly I've been making very nice progress, similar to the progress I get when I do do cardio, just slower. I've been planing on adding in cardio to the routine edventually but so far I don't see a need for it. Maybe it'll take a little bit longer, but based on what I'm seeing I feel that I can get to maybe 4-5% just doing what I've been doing. I've also noticed my strength has remained more steady and acutally been going up in certain areas.
Thoughts?

I've been dieting for about 2 months. I'm in no rush so I've just been eating very clean and training. Suprisingly I've been making very nice progress, similar to the progress I get when I do do cardio, just slower. I've been planing on adding in cardio to the routine edventually but so far I don't see a need for it. Maybe it'll take a little bit longer, but based on what I'm seeing I feel that I can get to maybe 4-5% just doing what I've been doing. I've also noticed my strength has remained more steady and acutally been going up in certain areas.
Thoughts?

well if you want to lose fat from just diet/training, it will be as a result of lower than normal caloric intake and hard training...where as if you additionally do cardio in a fasted state fasted; e.g post workou, in the morning etc...you will primarily burn only fat. this was you dont have to compromise your over all gains by eating less calories.

but then again...gear is in the equation. as long as you eat enough protein, while running maintenance cals, you should still be able to make some good fat loss progress...then again im not as qualified as others to speak on this matter so wait to see what others have to say!

p.s short cardio sessions eod can be very healthy for keeping your bp down, keeping your metabolism up and improving your anaerobic activity during weight training.

hope this helps bro.

You lucky you can lean up like that without cardio. I eat clean as hell and run 30 miles a week and can't lose a pound. Im also hypothyroid which is the problem.

i really like doing cardio similar to the tabata method where you only do around 6-8 minutes 4 times a week. 20 seconds all out max effort followed by 10 seconds very easy for 8 cycles. not at all easy but effective.

In the past I have got super shredded and only did 10 min. per day. You need to hire Phil, he is the master mind behind it;) if you don't believe me you can look up some old pics of me on here;)

you prolly could if you did alot of supersets and high volume weight workouts while on clen/eca or dnp with diet in check

Some people need it and some people do not. People do cardio for the wrong reasons in my opinion when they are trying to get lean. Use cardio as tool to help with other things, but do not make it THE TOOL to getting lean because I will bet you that you will never be satisfied.

I got to my leanest ever condition, and i was pretty shredded, without any cardio at all.

Cardio is important for health reasons though, and i would look to include some.

If your diet is focused towards your goal, and you train intensely, and have everything else geared towards your goal, then it isn't needed, no.

Thoughts?

i like your approach...while dieting you should aim for losing fat with as little effort as possible...don't do cardio if you can still lose fat without, don't lower your calories if not needed etc...i personally haven't done cardio for 18 moths and all that time have kept my bf% under 10...

now i'm trying to lean out a bit, have got to 6-7% by just cleaning my cals, plan is to start doing good old low intensity cardio in 2-3 weeks or so, no intentions to compete this year, just leaning out for summer, experimenting and seeing how my body works...i have thought about stepping on stage next year, spring or fall depending on our federations schedule

Think it depends on matabalism to. I can lean up quite easy with no cardio but have started doing it to speed things up.

i dont do cardio at all. i keep my sets close together very lil rest inbetween keeps me pretty lean. my diet is clean thou high protien low carb

You don't even need to follow a psmf, you just need to eat very little for a very long time, which of course sucks which is why generally no one does it. Then again cardio sucks as well. Thank God we have a plethora of drugs to our disposal!

protein sparing modified fast, generally a very low calorie protein only diet. A few days into this will likely have you instantly liking that much dreaded cardio :D

Protein Sparing Modified Fast

basically you eat 2 grams of lean protein for each pound of body weight

take vitamins, efa's.

thats it.. now lyle mcdonald has a book about it, hes got it setup with the carb refeed, or eating carbs right before workoutl

i really like doing cardio similar to the tabata method where you only do around 6-8 minutes 4 times a week. 20 seconds all out max effort followed by 10 seconds very easy for 8 cycles. not at all easy but effective.

I tried something like this but felt that it cut into my recovery from lifting too much...I dont know if steady state is the most effective but it seems like only method that works and doesnt tax my body too much

How did you schedule this around your training?

Some people need it and some people do not. People do cardio for the wrong reasons in my opinion when they are trying to get lean. Use cardio as tool to help with other things, but do not make it THE TOOL to getting lean because I will bet you that you will never be satisfied.

this just makes so much sense to me. Great way to look at it.

Protein Sparing Modified Fast

basically you eat 2 grams of lean protein for each pound of body weight

take vitamins, efa's.

thats it.. now lyle mcdonald has a book about it, hes got it setup with the carb refeed, or eating carbs right before workoutl

I'd say 2g/lbs of bodyweight is not necessary for a psmf. I got away with 1g/lbs of bodyweight with virtually no loss of muscle while cruising on only 250mg/wk of test.

I tried something like this but felt that it cut into my recovery from lifting too much...I dont know if steady state is the most effective but it seems like only method that works and doesnt tax my body too much

How did you schedule this around your training?

i work nights so i did cardio upon waking at 3 pm and trained in the morning after work around 7 am.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws