advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Glutamine believers: does glutamine contribute to fat storage?

Love_to_Bodybuild

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
for you glutamine non believers , click back, this thread isnt for you, please stay out

ive been taking glutamine since 2002- blah, blah, blah, and for me it seems to be beneficial when my immune system is down, including heavy ans intense training (sort of hit type training with heavy ass weights)

if taking it easy for a couple weeks lighting up, I dont think its that beneficial, except only if immune system is down (which heavy intense weight training does right)

so ten or so years ago if anyone remembers that article Charles Polquin has done some experiments where he had his clients taking 40 grams glutamine instead of carbs , for fatloss they needed to lose fat fast, and iot replenished glycogen.

i wrote him recently after wondering this and he didnt respond back. so im wondering since glutamine seems to replenish glycogen stores, does it in any way interrupt fat loss?

I mainly take it post workout and or maybe before bed if feeling run down. If immune system down -it seems to work better for myself than antibiotics for getting immune system back to parr fast!!!

its possible for amino acids to be deamidated into akg, and enter the TCA cycle to be used by the body for energy.. could potentially enter the citrate shuttle and be stored if metabolic vmax is exceeded

Last edited:
its possible for amino acids to be deamidated into akg, and enter the TCA cycle to be used by the body for energy.. could potentially enter the citrate shuttle and be stored if metabolic vmax is exceeded

Great explanation!

Would this have opposing effects if one was aiming to stay in ketosis for fat loss?

Last edited:
Great explanation!

Would this have opposing effects if one was aiming to stay in ketosis for fat loss?

Hey brother, I was hoping you would jump in this thread.

Ive seen studies where glutamine and bcaa pulled subjects out of ketosis, but this was observed in untrained individuals. My belief is in a bodybuilder, where the muscle is demanding the amino acids for muscle tissue repair, it would not effect the state of ketosis. If the dose was high enough, and the tca vmax is overloaded, then its reasonable to believe ketosis would be broken.

what is your opinion on this?

Last edited:
Hey brother, I was hoping you would jump in this thread.

Ive seen studies where glutamine and bcaa pulled subjects out of ketosis, but this was observed in untrained individuals. My belief is in a bodybuilder, where the muscle is demanding the amino acids for muscle tissue repair, it would not effect the state of ketosis. If the dose was high enough, and the tca vmax is overloaded, then its reasonable to believe ketosis would be broken.

what is your opinion on this?

I'm in agreements with your analogy!

I question tho... Individuality per bases of, If one experiences disruption of cellular resperation via states of hypoxia (uncontrolled sleep apnea). As we know oxygen is required for complete action of our krebs cycle (TCA). Therefore, oxygen is indirectly required for our TCA cycle.

In contrast, the presence of intermediate hypoxia, thus, disruption of the electron transport chain that does not oxidize reducing equivalents exhibiting opposing directionalities. In other words...No oxygen - TCA cycle will stop.

My rambling is... being kicked out of ketosis by disruption of hypoxia and not necessarily by overload krebs-vmax.

Otherwise, I'd say you're right!

Thoughts...am I off target here?

Thumbing around, found this quite interesting:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...nergy_Expenditure_and_Fat_Oxidation_in_Humans

Last edited:
Interesting point about hypoxia, any time we enter an anaerobic state our ability to utilize nutrients drastically changes .

This is why I love biochemistry, there are so many variables invoved from sensitivity to insulin to location of glut 4 receptors etc etc that effect the way any said substrate will interact with our individual system.

Cool find in glutamine interaction with glp-1. Glp and its analogs have been all over the endocrine journals recently , espcecially wth the release of the new analog for type 2 diabetes.

My uncle is a protein biochemist, I owe him a phone call and will pick his brain a little and see if I can gather his opinion as well.

I'm in agreements with your analogy!

I question tho... Individuality per bases of, If one experiences disruption of cellular resperation via states of hypoxia (uncontrolled sleep apnea). As we know oxygen is required for complete action of our krebs cycle (TCA). Therefore, oxygen is indirectly required for our TCA cycle.

In contrast, the presence of intermediate hypoxia, thus, disruption of the electron transport chain that does not oxidize reducing equivalents exhibiting opposing directionalities. In other words...No oxygen - TCA cycle will stop.

My rambling is... being kicked out of ketosis by disruption of hypoxia and not necessarily by overload krebs-vmax, and or action of both. Therefore, inhibit deamidation of glutamine to a-ketoglutarate?

Otherwise, I'd say you're right!

Thoughts...am I off target here?

Thumbing around, found this quite interesting:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...nergy_Expenditure_and_Fat_Oxidation_in_Humans

Edit

it seems like a complicated advanced subject . I think it may, and although could be wrong, Ill continue using it post workout after heavy sessions , and when I think I need it for immune system when feeling run down

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity