over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Going to start the 5X5 routine &....

AP13

Registered
Going to start the 5X5 routine and was wondering what the board experts thought about incorporating power cleans into a PL routine. Would I do these on the same day as DLs? Alternate leading off back days with DLs and then doing PCs one week and then PCs followed by DLs the next week?

Any thoughts appreciated.

BTW, I'm new to site and really enjoy all the great info.

power cleans have no purpose in power lifting......use the power rack for what ever your sticking points are....cleans are useless

I was a 220 ,242 and very close to a 275lb'er...

One of the older Bill Starr templates has power cleans added in. Try Googling it to see what you can come up with.

power cleans are a great addition, i just added them into mine as well as clean pulls. Clean pulls are great for teaching technique off the floor and being explosive... much much better than speed pulls. i think those are almost useless.

post up ur routine and ill help u add them in there.

Big Byrd........

Big Byrd,

Just the person I wanted to hear him. Here's what I'm thinking. I got it from another of your posts.

"i would suggest u follow a classic 5x5 routine for all three. 2 warmups followed by 3 heavy sets of 5 on compound movements. basic breakdown would be do that for 2 heavy compound exercises followed by 1 maybe 2 execises, 2-3 sets of bodybuilding style accessory work for higher reps in 12-15 range.

like, for chest, 5x5 on flat bench then 3x5 on incline bench then 2 sets db flyes inclined and 2 sets flat.

legs- samw with squat, followed by hack squats or leg press, then leg ext and leg curls

back, dl then bent rows, lat pulldowns, and seated rows."

I think I'll add an arm day and also add good mounrings to back day. What's your thoughts on adding PCs?

Thanks.

U can alternate with deadlifts every week or do 2 weeks in a row then switch. DLs will start to wear on u esp if squatting heavy every week too. Go heavy on squats then PC on back day, then higher reps next leg day, then DLs. No magic formula, just throw in when u want or if u dont feel like doing DLs. Clean pulls are great for a light DL day also, really work low back and traps.

Personally, I would stick to speed deadlifts rather than power cleans. A REAL power clean has a completely different line of pull than a conventional and sumo deadlift.

Big_O said:
power cleans have no purpose in power lifting......use the power rack for what ever your sticking points are....cleans are useless

I was a 220 ,242 and very close to a 275lb'er...

Incorrect.

At west-side barbell they utilize several clean type movements. I have heard Louie tout the cleaning movements as a terrific way to build the rear delts, upper back and traps (the rear delts being the most beneficial portion of the exercise). Cleans and snatches are very important and should not be neglected. Do them on a dynamic effort day.

Let me correct myself......cleans are not in my routine......

When I was power lifting way back when...I went to a meet...it was a weighlifting meet.....I went there to buy a new power belt from a crook by the name of Joe Zarrella....any way I met an olympic coach from central falls,R.I.....His name was joe Mills....He kept inviting me over to his gym...over and over and over again....

Finally i decided to work out there....he had me doing cleans with 155...the old york rubber red plates.....that was it....155...i did that for about a month...and never increasing the weight...point is he wanted absolutely perect form first...before any kind of weight was added.....he was supposedly one of the best coaches to ever train olympic lifters.....its all very technical lifting....

I just dont like cleans...its a very hard lift to do...as far as being technical...

a power clean is very different from a full squat clean which is used in the olympics, probably what he was teaching u. the full clean is very technical, the power clean tho is very useful for back development, and teaching explosion.

i am sure i have said it over here before, but clean pulls are very expolsive and are great for low back work without putting much stress on the joints. u only need to use about 50% of u max DL and i feel they are MUCH more beneficial than doing speed pulls.

Big_O said:
Let me correct myself......cleans are not in my routine......

When I was power lifting way back when...I went to a meet...it was a weighlifting meet.....I went there to buy a new power belt from a crook by the name of Joe Zarrella....any way I met an olympic coach from central falls,R.I.....His name was joe Mills....He kept inviting me over to his gym...over and over and over again....

Finally i decided to work out there....he had me doing cleans with 155...the old york rubber red plates.....that was it....155...i did that for about a month...and never increasing the weight...point is he wanted absolutely perect form first...before any kind of weight was added.....he was supposedly one of the best coaches to ever train olympic lifters.....its all very technical lifting....

I just dont like cleans...its a very hard lift to do...as far as being technical...

I love to do them from a dead hang, great for the upper back and delts, give it a whirl. Single arm dumbell snatches are also a big favorite of mine. I have shot Mr. Simmons several emails and I have had the benefit of meeting him briefly several times and attending a seminar he gave at a local university for the athletic staff. I must say that he is the one that inspired me to begin to study the old soviet block style of training, peaking and periodization. I will agree that a full power clean may not be the most beneficial to a good program but the proper utilization of cleans and snatches will go a long way in helping boost your totals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity