over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Golds Gym personal trainer

mass4all

Newbies
My little bro just turned 20 and completed his NASM cert and is looking to start training at a golds gym nearby. I have no experience with personal training at a gym like that(i work independantly). What could he expect to make as a new trainer who recently got his cert? Hes only making 10 an hour at his hospital job, so surely training will be better. But he needs to know whether he can rely on this full time to make as much or more than what he is currently making. Any of you guys have any experience with golds?

training

Somewhere like Gold's, he can expect to make around $20 per hour.

However, gyms are now going into more circuit training than traditional 1 on 1 training where trainers can make more money.

The gym where I train, we make $50 per hour, but we are contract. The gym does not give us clients or anything.

It matters to what level he is. The higher his level the more money they will give him. So a G4 trainer will get paid a lot more than a typical person but that means they they just take less of his percentage.

A G4 makes $85/hour but he truly only makes $40 or so. Others are from $15-25.

Wouldn't do it full time. I would do it part time. Too many ups and downs. Business is great right after new years, then starts to taper off. You have to deal with cancellations and all that bullshit. And the Golds in my area goes thru trainers like I go thru underwear.

My little bro just turned 20 and completed his NASM cert and is looking to start training at a golds gym nearby. I have no experience with personal training at a gym like that(i work independantly). What could he expect to make as a new trainer who recently got his cert? Hes only making 10 an hour at his hospital job, so surely training will be better. But he needs to know whether he can rely on this full time to make as much or more than what he is currently making. Any of you guys have any experience with golds?

about $18 starting but it is all client based if you don't have clients you don't make money.

It can be a great job or a horrible job. I trained when I was 20 down in San Diego, but I was also in the Navy, so the job was just some thing fun to do and make some side money. I would have some months were I brought home an extra 2k and other months I struggled to make 800$.

It really comes down to sales and being a people person. The two top trainers where I live are not in the best shape, but they are great trainers. One is geared more to athletes he was a collegiant base ball player and the other knows allot about training but over all we live in a small town and he was all ways pretty popular growing up so he gets all the rich girls coming in.

We have two national level bodybuilders who are trainers as well, but they really do not do to well on sales. I think the biggest hurdle with them is they only really know how to train to be a bodybuilder and not have that high intensity ass kicking persona. Where the money is, is in boot camps and independant. The type of trainers that make the money or like Jenifer Alcorn. Look her up, she has all most no over head because she doesnt train in a gym every thing is boot camp style and she has a cult of people that she trains. She is seriously fucking hardcore.

I've worked in a hospital setting for 23 years. And have also PT'd for a number of years. My 9-5 pays my mortgage and bills and my benefits. My PT is extra walk around money. I know he is only 20, but when you strike out on your own, health benefits are a MOFO if you have to come out of your own pocket for them.

Just something to think about.

I've worked in a hospital setting for 23 years. And have also PT'd for a number of years. My 9-5 pays my mortgage and bills and my benefits. My PT is extra walk around money. I know he is only 20, but when you strike out on your own, health benefits are a MOFO if you have to come out of your own pocket for them.

Just something to think about.

He brings up a good point, maybe better to claim zero income, get free Obamacare, and work privately as a PT for cash only.

In a club, there is huge variation in the amount that they pay trainers. I have seen them as low as $8-12/hr and as high as $100 (very rare). I was lucky and ended up in a job where I get paid even for time not spent with clients (less money of course). I make enough to live fairly comfortably. It's not easy to find but is nice when you do.

Rates will vary greatly. Most Gold's Gyms are independently owned franchises so the owner or ownership group decides how the trainers get paid. Some will pay for floor hours, some won't. Some will start you in different levels, some will pay you according to how much money you bring in etc... etc... He's not going to make too much money the first 6 months or go unless he gets a clientele base very very quickly. I'd say to have him start part time first. Either determine if he wants to work the mornings or evenings while keeping his other job as part/full time then slowly transition. Honestly he may not like the atmosphere either so it's never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

He also needs to be ready to be part time for a while until he builds a clientel. Box gyms are always hiring new trainers and some find it difficult to build up to full time. I have worked for both franchise and corporate Gold's. as Turkishexpress said franchise has a lot more flexibility with their training where corporate was set rates and "levels" based off of education and experience. (It's been a few years tho so it maybe different)

One more thing, tell your bro don't go getting into a PT job with the intentions of making bug bucks right away. He won't get those big bucks right away. But tell your brother to get into a gym, any gym and get as much one on one experience as possible. That is where you start laying down the foundation for your future big bucks. Once he feels he's had enough of the gym life then I would say to him to go and seek out more money by training folks on his own time. Even in their homes. Or possibly his own small place to start.

Reading books is one thing. Dealing with a live person who has a question on every single thing you show them, is an entirely different thing. Stumbling over your answer or words can kill your reputation. But this is where you start to nail down your speaking skills. The more clearer he is on speaking the more his clients will refer him to others. I happen to have the gift of gab and as such have a few well paying clients that really enjoy how I explain everything to them. Hopefully your brother will develope the same skills to make some good money.

Good luck to your brother.

If he is interested in training tell him to go get his exercise science degree and then get his masters for physical therapy. If he wants to make the big money tell him to go into orthopedics as a PA.

appreciate all of the feedback guys! I showed him the thread and he plans to keep his job part time and being training with the possiblity of making it full time if things workout.

I was a Regional PT Director(3 clubs) for Gold's Gym years back...is the Gold's near You is corporate or franchise?...Mine were franchise, at the time My main club made more then any other Gold's Gym in the nation, My trainers made 22-32 an hr based on rate they charged clients, seniority, cert or degree, weather they sold that particular client or were given them(from sales or a PT manager) and weather they were 1/2 hrs or 1hr sessions.

Now, some other Gold's franchise clubs have PT companies in them such as Compel or Custom Built...so as I said depends on where You live etc. If You have any more questions PM Me

Last edited:
Maybe I'm the only one who RECENTLY worked at a commercial gym (not Gold's but LA Fitness...similar setup)

Although the training sessions are between $30-$50 per 30 mins, trainers get jack shit man.

Per 30 mins, a personal trainer makes around 7.50-8 bucks. So roughly $16 an hour....LOTS of clients want 30 min sessions and MOST trainers aren't legitimately training 9-5....lots of breaks in between.

Under the table clients and training at studios is where the money really is. I worked at LA Fit last year while finishing up grad school....spent about 30hrs a week there along with a studio and made TONS more $$$ doing PT at the studio.

Commercial gyms are probably the worst places to make $ being a trainer.

Maybe I'm the only one who RECENTLY worked at a commercial gym (not Gold's but LA Fitness...similar setup)

Although the training sessions are between $30-$50 per 30 mins, trainers get jack shit man.

Per 30 mins, a personal trainer makes around 7.50-8 bucks. So roughly $16 an hour....LOTS of clients want 30 min sessions and MOST trainers aren't legitimately training 9-5....lots of breaks in between.

Under the table clients and training at studios is where the money really is. I worked at LA Fit last year while finishing up grad school....spent about 30hrs a week there along with a studio and made TONS more $$$ doing PT at the studio.

Seems like most trainers are making the transition to bootcamp-style training. I've also noticed a trend of paring down of equipment in these types of classes . So now a trainer can market himself as a soccer mom-friendly fat-loss expert, invest in a few TRX's, and rake in cash from a large group after having invested minimal capital.

Well the major difference is weather or not it's a PT company running the PT and keeping the overhead or the company running the themselves

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws