over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Good gyms in North Atlanta?

triathloncoach

Featured Member / Kilo Klub / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Board Supporter
I'm moving there next month. Any exceptional "houses of iron", or should I just stay with LA Fitness?

Gym of Buckhead in Sandy Springs was good a few years back. Maybe worth checking out. More bodybuilders than average joe's.

Cross-Fit East Cobb is a new place if you are into the cross fit thing. A friend of mine runs this gym. Ex military guys...they will kick your ass.

LA Fitness is ok ( this is what I belong to in Atlanta ). Not hardcore but a nice mix of people if you are looking for something a little more social.

LA Fitness in East Cobb does have some guys that do compete. These guys are no joke. There are some true monsters training here off of Hwy 92.

There is a gym in Marrietta and it has slipped by mind. IT used to be full of wrestlers and high level bb's...not sure if it is still any good.

All legs training equipment was downstairs and everything else was upstairs. I will get you the name soon.

Last edited:
Try the BuckHead YMCA...good mix and high end place without the price

Its easily accesible right off interstate which is a big plus with the traffic in the ATL

everytime i go down there i hit the LA Fit in marietta. i have seen some big guys but honestly, its a bit too cliquey for my taste. or its my perception of it.
one big bonus, although probably not what you are looking for, the one i went to had a ton of very in shape, very hot women in very small, very tight outfits.
i know training hardcore is a blast but hell even the most hardcore dude likes to see a sweaty muscular chick with perfect legs squatting. its a wonderful thing....

LA Fitness in East Cobb does have some guys that do compete. These guys are no joke. There are some true monsters training here off of Hwy 92.

There is a gym in Marrietta and it has slipped by mind. IT used to be full of wrestlers and high level bb's...not sure if it is still any good.

All legs training equipment was downstairs and everything else was upstairs. I will get you the name soon.
I believe you're referring to Main Event - formerly owned by Lex Luger.

And yes Hwy. 92 LA Fitness probably has the largest concentration of large guys in Atlanta.. Although it's not really in Atlanta. That's where I'd say the "core" of BBing in the Atlanta area is..

Main event. Right at Cobb parkway and Terrel mill rd... Trey Brewer trains there still.

Main event. Right at Cobb parkway and Terrel mill rd... Trey Brewer trains there still.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Main Event closed down. They had all of their gym equipment for sale on Craigslist a while back.

Anyway, on northwest side of Atlanta I would recommend looking into Coffee's Gym. Also look at NGBB in Kennesaw. Jon Grove has expanded the place into a regular gym that is now open to the public. Before it was a small private gym where some of the best and strongest powerlifters in the southeast trained. They have a website, just do a search for North Georgia Barbell.

Any specific locations around Atlanta you looking at to move to coach? In the other thread on TRT docs in Atlanta you mentioned you were staying in Duluth. I live near Duluth and gave you some recommendations for gyms in that area.

Last edited:
If you are staying in Duluth the nicest place with the best eye candy is Lifetime. It's the most expensive too. LA Fitness has been on a downward slide since the Lifetimes have been popping up. The Forum in Duluth/Johns creek gets the meatheads and athletes, so if you are looking for the more hardcore guys (and some beastly gals) that is your place. They have the better trainers in the area. Their business has been hurting for years though since LA Fitness and Lifetime have nearly wrecked them, I can't believe they turn a profit, but they seem to hang in there.

Just go to Just Fitness. Used to be a Gold's. Has a lot of equipment. Not crowded. Good mix of people but it's not really a complete meathead gym. And $10 a month with no contract. That part is hard to beat.

Thanks Everyone for the responses - Just Returned from Atlanta

:)I think I'm going to end up in Duluth or Cumming.

I saw the Life Time fitness building off of Rt 85 (?)

My current La Fitness allows me to use chalk, bring in bands and chains. The trainers actually borrow my accessories for clients and their personal use. So I can't complain about my La Fitness.

Now that I spent some time (little) in Atlanta I believe Buckhead is too far away, as is the North West side of the city.

I looked at houses with the wife all three days and had zero gym time. Didn't even check any out.

I did see some Gold's gyms. Anything positive?

I love gym eye candy, but I spend most of my time in the squat rack.

So I MUST have some hard core equipment - sorry planet fitness, with a nice to have being eye candy.

Main Event

I used to train at the Main Event in Marietta right off of Powers ferry road and Windy Hill. I do not know about now, but it used to be the shit.

that is NOT Main Event...you have it confused. It is in Marietta, but has an Atlanta address.

I used to train at the Main Event in Marietta right off of Powers ferry road and Windy Hill. I do not know about now, but it used to be the shit.

Yep...that is where I got my screen name. Trained there a long time ago....good place at the time.

that is NOT Main Event...you have it confused. It is in Marietta, but has an Atlanta address.

Yea my bad. I've been there before, but got my roads mixed up.... It's been a while since I've been there. I work on an ambulance in Cobb.

Yep...that is where I got my screen name.
I've always wondered that..

I also have a Just Fitness membership.. they are all fairly new in the Atlanta area.. last few years. Have all Hammer Strength free weight benches, racks, etc.. kettle bells, cardio theater, etc. Pretty nice and you cannot beat the price $10/contract or $20 no contract.

Main Event

I saw the Main Event sign up the other day. I work in Sandy Springs area and was riding right past the place.

Not sure if it is still up and running.

I've always wondered that..

I also have a Just Fitness membership.. they are all fairly new in the Atlanta area.. last few years. Have all Hammer Strength free weight benches, racks, etc.. kettle bells, cardio theater, etc. Pretty nice and you cannot beat the price $10/contract or $20 no contract.

Did you go to UGA? I say this obviously bc of your name...I graduated from there.

Couple places...

Main Event has been closed, a dirtbag bought it, ran it into the ground, moved it and chased off all the members. So that beautiful gym is nothing more then a memory... a great one too! Coffees, I train their least 1 time a week, just a small little power lifting gym, very small. But only place left with 150-200 lbs dumbbells. LA Fitness has big guys? Where lol... JK I know few guys but not too many meat heads left around North Ga area. Mr. Brewer trains at a gym called Iron House...in Smyrna, ive yet to visit that place but on my list of to do things. If he trains there.. be sure theirs weight. Just Fitness are kind of taking over the area.... a template used all over the country... Not as foo foo as LA Fitness but they do have some good equipment and their rates are cheap. Gym of Buckhead is ok, be careful they handle their biz through a company that will screw you.. had a memb there... The people that work at GOB are great, so is the owner Amy Neal. But my complaint was their financial membership outsourced company.

Not sure if they have one in Georgia, but Lifetime fitness have nice facilities.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08