over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Good Lat Exercises

killer38

Registered
Hey all. I am looking for info on Lat workouts. I work out at home with the bench, Bar and DB's. I have a stair machine for cardio and fell I am pretty well set up. But I also feel I am lacking in my Lat's. I do a lot of bent over row type work and also my Dead's. What else could be suggested to help with my back? Thanks for any input at all.....killer38.....

killer38 said:
Hey all. I am looking for info on Lat workouts. I work out at home with the bench, Bar and DB's. I have a stair machine for cardio and fell I am pretty well set up. But I also feel I am lacking in my Lat's. I do a lot of bent over row type work and also my Dead's. What else could be suggested to help with my back? Thanks for any input at all.....killer38.....
Try putting up a chinning bar. Underhand and overhand wide grip (just outside shoulder width) chins. One of the best overall back developers around.

How come you don't have a gym membership? If you wanna get serious you kinda need one.

Pretty much everyone has told me the same thing: wide grip pull ups and wide grip cable pulldowns (I do them with my back to the knee pad thing so I can't cheat as much). My lats are my weakest point right now so I'm trying to build them up. So far seems to be working with those...

Deadlifts are essential in building the back. You have to be very carefully to them correctly if you don't want to end up with an injury.

I work out at home too...

aside from the obvious.
2 that I would recommend are:

T-Bar Rows----Go buy a V bar and then just put it under the bar.
Rack Chins....

and one I invented for myself is similar to a rack chin but I put my feet high up and hang real low with and overhand grip and pull myself into the bar. Its very similar to a bent over row but your pulling urself to the bar instead of pulling a bar into you.

besides traditional db rows....

try grabbing one in each hand. bending over at around 90 degress and doing rows as you would with a barbell. How and where you pull will make the exercise work a lil bit differently.

There are a couple other back exercises i do sometimes but they require hanging straps that I purchased off of elitefts

Last edited:
Big Danny said:
Deadlifts are essential in building the back. You have to be very carefully to them correctly if you don't want to end up with an injury.
I think I should tell my story a bit. In 1990 I had a severe car wreck. I was a active BB and workout nut. As a result of the wreck I had dammage to my C4 and T6-7 facet joint injuries(spine) and severe muscle damage through out my back and chest. I was down for almost 15 years with the pain. My present Dr is or has used AAS's and told me that he could suggest them but wouldnt perscribe them. I live in canada. Alot harder to get HRT. I had a test level done and was below 100. so I needed test to recover as I was not building anymore on my own. I am on a cycle suggested by the Dr and he actually told me about Alin.lol. So I am alot weaker than most. I decided to workout at home knowing I wouldnt get as good a workout as a gym due to financial reasons. I want to have the Gear, food, supps and so on on my budget I need to do this from home for now. I know I might get spiked for saying Im doing this a cheap as possible and shouldnt skimp when trainning/.. But I am getting great gains in size and strength for now and dont feel it nessesary to go to the gym with the equipment I have here. But as I get stronger and my pain becomes less and less I am finding the excrcises I do at home to be lacking for the back. so I apreciate all the suggestions and will get to a gym as soon as I am able. Thanks for the help....killer38.....

Conan21 said:
and one I invented for myself is similar to a rack chin but I put my feet high up and hang real low with and overhand grip and pull myself into the bar. Its very similar to a bent over row but your pulling urself to the bar instead of pulling a bar into you.

Silly Conan...You did not invent these...A lot of us guys are doing em'. hahaha... But I give you a lot of credit for coming up with that exercise on your own. Someone explained that exercise to me once and I went, "huh?!?!?!?" When it gets fun is when your trying to balance two or 3 plates on your chest while doing this. Oh man....That shit falls over and everyone laughs at your ass. hahahahaha.... I finally found a gym with those rubber plates that don't slip and slide around. One more variation on this is that you can do a reverse/close grip variation that really hits the biceps. Its fantastic. Try it on your bicep day.

you almost have to have some sort of vertical lat pulldowns or pullups as an accessory to your rows. i use 495 in my bent over row sets all the time, but they hit more upper back than the lats really. now they do hit my lats, but not near as much as doin my rows then using a v bar on a lat pulldown afterwards. i'm too damned heavy for doin these, but i've seen a lot of guys do pullups with a v bar, and old school t-bar rows with a v bar seem to hit my lats more than most rows. pullovers could be a good option as well.

I started doing my chins very strict and quite slowly, both overhand and underhand, 4 sets of each alternating. Each workout trying to do a few reps more total but only counting perfect reps. Has made a huge difference to my back. That and learning the correct way to do deads. (ass low, head high, chest up, blades pinched with hip thrust at the end)

LOL

littlemack said:
Silly Conan...You did not invent these...A lot of us guys are doing em'. hahaha... But I give you a lot of credit for coming up with that exercise on your own. Someone explained that exercise to me once and I went, "huh?!?!?!?" When it gets fun is when your trying to balance two or 3 plates on your chest while doing this. Oh man....That shit falls over and everyone laughs at your ass. hahahahaha.... I finally found a gym with those rubber plates that don't slip and slide around. One more variation on this is that you can do a reverse/close grip variation that really hits the biceps. Its fantastic. Try it on your bicep day.

LittleMack, well no one showed em to me before....haha

actually I have my feet so high I couldn't put w8s on my chest. I normally don't even use extra weight maybe a lil bit in a back pack. I go more for feel and squeeze.

I dont know how the hell you are putting 3 plates on yourself. I'm pretty strong at back and couldn't imagine that. Maybe we are doing them differently.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131