over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Got my 12 year old into weightlifting- small for his age

Slowmoe

Registered
So my son is 12 and is very short and thin for his age. I recently got him into weightlifting. My question is besides lifting, eating a lot of calories/ weight gainer shakes what other supplements are available that are safe for a kid this age and would be effective at helping him add some size without screwing (up) his endocrinal system.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would just stick with the food and weights if it were me. If he wants to take something just for the sake of being like daddy as far as taking a supplement i would set him up with a multi vitamin and let him know that its what you use, except for younger males.

Kids minds are powerful. That multi vitamin will have him thinking its a muscle building supplement.

I would probably never attempt this, don't think I could live with myself if I screwed up something, but just out of curiousity...... Don't docs offer GH therapy to kids that are growing too slowly? If so what requirementrs must be met and what is the dosing protocol? Surely they must hit puberty first..

They do but it's a long process and I wasn't impressed with the Endo's process to determine it. My son didn't start puberty until ~14 and then it kicked in full bore. For a child without secondary sex characteristics (armpit hair) I'd stick with higher reps and GPP type workouts. Build the foundation so when puberty hits he has a solid base.

As for supplements the only one I'd use on a kid is creatine.

So my son is 12 and is very short and thin for his age. I recently got him into weightlifting. My question is besides lifting, eating a lot of calories/ weight gainer shakes what other supplements are available that are safe for a kid this age and would be effective at helping him add some size without screwing (up) his endocrinal system.

Thanks in advance.

Dontcha think he's a bit young to start weightlifting????

Thanks in advance.
I don't see anything wrong with it. Just don't let him use heavy weights. I was told I stunted my growth. I started when I was 13 years old. I would just give him the basics...fish oil, flax oil, multi, vitamin C, vitamin E and shakes here and there. I learned the hard way, I was an ecto and wasted most of my money on bullshit supplements when I was younger. That boy needs real food. I think it's a good thing man. I grew up in a very bad neighborhood. Most of my childhood friends are dead or in jail. If I didn't have the weights and some kind of structure as a base....I would be right there with them.

Last edited:
I honestly started getting into weight training around the time I was 12-13. My grandparents got me set up with a personal trainer and a lot of what I did focused around bodyweight movements and very basic compound lifts after a little while.

As far as supplements, a good multivitamin and some extra Vitamin D would be a good starting point. Maybe even some bcaas and carbs while he trains for his body to have some extra fuel while he trains. Like Trip said though, a kid's mind is a powerful thing, so even just a multivitamin could make him feel like he's Superman if you tell him he is :)

Dontcha think he's a bit young to start weightlifting????

All he does is do his school work and play video games. He's wormy and weak and he needs to be in better physical shape. He also has me teaching him boxing/ BJJ. We focus more on that actually. It gives us QT together so I'm good with it.

Last edited:
I'd limit his use of anything more than a multi vitamin. I have 2 boys, both started lifting at 13 as I was always told anything earlier will hurt their growth plates. He has to learn to want to eat, thats the key. A little weight training here and there should stimulate his appetite so let him eat whatever, its all calories.

One more bit of advice, make sure he knows you love him no matter what. We can't force them to be what we think they should be. As dad's we can steer them in the right direction but the rest is up to them.

BPP

I'd limit his use of anything more than a multi vitamin. I have 2 boys, both started lifting at 13 as I was always told anything earlier will hurt their growth plates. He has to learn to want to eat, thats the key. A little weight training here and there should stimulate his appetite so let him eat whatever, its all calories.

One more bit of advice, make sure he knows you love him no matter what. We can't force them to be what we think they should be. As dad's we can steer them in the right direction but the rest is up to them.

BPP

Thanks. I have him using very low weights/ body weight on most exercises. Other than chin-ups that about the most intense thing he is currently doing.

Only worked out like 3 times so far and he has made pretty amazing progress. We have a pushmower and he used to have to stop about 5 times because he would get exhausted. Yesterday he only took 1 break, plus he is already doing 3 more chin ups than before.

He was in bad shape lol.

And thanks for the advice again. I try to let him make his own calls most of the time. The only thing I require of him is dedication..... If you start something, do your best and dont quit when it gets tough. He came to me, wanting me to train him and that was my only requirement. That he stay the course and he agreed.

Last edited:
When I started lifting I wish I didn’t know about supplements. I used to think if I didn’t drink protein shakes I wouldn’t gain muscle.I started to get really obsessive about taking the protein at certain times and I couldn’t go a day without it. A kid shouldn’t worry about shit like that. I would stick to weights and food, no supplements.

Last edited:
All he does is do his school work and play video games. He's wormy and weak and he needs to be in better physical shape. He also has me teaching him boxing/ BJJ. We focus more on that actually. It gives us QT together so I'm good with it.

I hope I didn't come off like I was being critical.... growing up I was just under the impression that someone that age would be too young to start weight training....always "heard" that started too young could stunt growth as muscles aren't really developed yet etc etc... I don't have kids so cant speak from experience.... was that all horseshit??

Just stay away from low and heavy reps.
I had all my boys start with reps at 8 and above and stop short of failure until they and I felt confident they would keep proper form.

On a side note I started working out in 7th grade, I was short and skinny.
I started high school weighing 90 pounds but was always strong for my weight.
I pounded the weights but was still one of the smallest on the football team but still started both ways (back when kids did that)

Then all of a sudden during the summer between my sophomore and junior years I put on almost 30 pounds, and another 30 the next year.

I was 140 pounds my sophomore season after a big meal, I was 200 pounds my senior season. And yes it was all natural. Some people just grow at different rates and different times. I had teammates that were 200 pounds as freshman and 210 pounds as seniors.

I hope I didn't come off like I was being critical.... growing up I was just under the impression that someone that age would be too young to start weight training....always "heard" that started too young could stunt growth as muscles aren't really developed yet etc etc... I don't have kids so cant speak from experience.... was that all horseshit??

I'm not 100% sure. But I will stay on the cautious side and have him use light weights and body weight exercises. Thanks for your input.

The compression of growth plates is debatable. My brother crushed one but looking back he likely did steroids in HS for power lifting. I would stay focused on the body weight stuff like you are. As long as you're both having fun that's what matters.

My daughter goes, she's been going 3 years now, but she does just basic things. it keeps her occupied and just not sitting in front of the computer screen and video games. She goes with my girlfriend.
I'd rather her have a dedication to something healthy than than call of duty :D

i think it is good, i would have him doing mostly body weight routines, maybe throw in lite lifts here and there, as far as supps i would say vitamin at the most and maybe not even that, i would just make sure that most of the time he has home cooked meals, when i was a kid and raised by a single working mom she hardly ever fed me fast food, she always made home cooked meals, hell she had to leave at 6am for work and would still have breakfast on a plate waiting for me when i woke up for school.

Hey man, I graduated high school at 5'4" 135 lbs. I'm now 6' 230lbs.

I would recommend having him eat large meals consistently throughout the day if he is disciplined enough to be able to do that.

Don't go crazy heavy on weights, he probably hasn't even fully hit puberty yet and most likey has a couple growth spirts ahead of him. Remember, everyone matures at different rates. I was a shrimp in high school, now I make all of the guys I went to high school with look like pussies.

I would the say THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to make sure he gets 8-10 hours of sleep per night. This is sooooo crucial to growth because his body is going to be releasing a lot of hormones for growth in those last couple hours of sleep and he needs those hours to synthesize the proteins to grow and add mass. Once I went to college and started getting 8-10 hours of sleep per night, I grew 6" in one semester.

Thanks. I have him using very low weights/ body weight on most exercises. Other than chin-ups that about the most intense thing he is currently doing.

Only worked out like 3 times so far and he has made pretty amazing progress. We have a pushmower and he used to have to stop about 5 times because he would get exhausted. Yesterday he only took 1 break, plus he is already doing 3 more chin ups than before.

He was in bad shape lol.

And thanks for the advice again. I try to let him make his own calls most of the time. The only thing I require of him is dedication..... If you start something, do your best and dont quit when it gets tough. He came to me, wanting me to train him and that was my only requirement. That he stay the course and he agreed.

You're doing the right thing. Set him up to succeed and he will continue to progress and love the sport. I absolutely love training with my 16 yr old. He listens and he gets it.

BPP

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner