over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Graveyard shift!

Jbray

Registered
I just started my new shift and it ended up being 7p-7am. I have 2 kids and a wife, how does someone in the similar shoes diet and train? I feel like the intermittent fastening maybe beneficial because I sleep during the day ?... I don't know help or advice needed for the juggle of life.

I'm working a night shift now and it really sucks.

Hats off to you brother I'm not sure I could work a graveyard shift and diet and train best of luck

I just started my new shift and it ended up being 7p-7am. I have 2 kids and a wife, how does someone in the similar shoes diet and train? I feel like the intermittent fastening maybe beneficial because I sleep during the day ?... I don't know help or advice needed for the juggle of life.

I've worked a 4p-4am shift for years, i eat every three hrs like all BBs, get more meals in actually, but sleep a lot less...with my shift I can get my gym in before anybody is up, in the morning, don't expect you will have that luxury, but i have worked out before i go to work and had better workout. It all depends on the work you do and how much help you get from your partner in life...
Don't quit! just do it!
good luck!

I don't know how you guys work 12 hours and still find time for the gym. When ever I work 12 hours, I have just enough time to sleep and get ready, travel Etc. I bet I need much more sleep than you and still don't have as much energy. My body and brain suck

Last edited:
It does completely suck. When I am working 12 hour nights and if I am on a cycle, it just gives me motivation to go to the gym. If I am not, motivation sucks, I just think about sleep.

Depending on your job and time you get for lunch break, you could get a good workout in at lunch. This depends on how strictly you have to follow a clock.

If not, bring your gym clothes to work, find a gym between you and your home, stop in and lift for a solid 45 minutes, then head home. It is difficult if you have a family at home wanting to spend time with you. It is easier if you are on the road and your family is not there. Good luck

Last edited:
I'm a security guard on graveyard and the locations I bounce from luckily have gyms in them so I get my workouts in at my locations and chow down on my meals I pack before I leave the house. I go to school as well so it's a pretty hectic schedule but you gotta find a way to make it work.

And like suggested above try and find a gym along your route and try to hit it right after or before work. It'll take some getting used to but you've made it this far, and as long as your spending quality time with your family just squeeze in as much time as you can hitting the iron.

Best of luck to you

Last edited:
I work swing shifts in the mine.
Midnights are def the worse. What works for me is trying to eat as much as I can from 12-4, after that I have no appetite, all I want to do is sleep. Usually around 7 or 8 I can eat again but I sleep 9am-4 or 5pm and wake up, eat and hit the gym ASAP cus if I don't I just feel like a freakin turd. Midnights are evil in my opinion lol

if it were me

supplement with melotonin before you go bed

supplement casually with vitamin C and D

eat meals during ur shift when it suites you

try avoid caffeine if ya can ( i know difficult)

bring your own meals so you dont snack on junk

go gym after ur shift if u still have energy so ur wrecked and sleep better after ur workout,
or go gym before your shift to wake you up and give you energy, really wateva u find works better for you

last meal before bed should be a High G.I carb meal with protein, this is becoz blood sugar spikes and crashes are shown to increase the rate of how fast you fall asleep

I worked nightshift for about 5 years. It's difficult at first, but once you adapt to it, it's great. The only downside is family time. Ball games, skits, etc. Nightshift and family/wife can be very difficult.

Concerning training/dieting, do as you would on day shift. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it work.

Its tough no doubt I worked 12 hr night shifts for years now I do 8 hours at night. What always goes first is sleep, just how it is. Like anything though you just find a way to get to the gym and get your meals in. These days I'm working 6 nights a week and I get to the gym 3 days a week just what I can manage

if it were me

supplement with melotonin before you go bed

supplement casually with vitamin C and D

eat meals during ur shift when it suites you

try avoid caffeine if ya can ( i know difficult)

bring your own meals so you dont snack on junk

go gym after ur shift if u still have energy so ur wrecked and sleep better after ur workout,
or go gym before your shift to wake you up and give you energy, really wateva u find works better for you

last meal before bed should be a High G.I carb meal with protein, this is becoz blood sugar spikes and crashes are shown to increase the rate of how fast you fall asleep

I found out the gym before work was best. Eating is pretty easy you can actually even fit more food if you try.

All in all this is all the minimal stuff man. Whats going to be hard is missing your family! You will be asleep when they are awake, and you wont see the kids as much as you would like man. Hope you learn to deal and work around that.

I worked a graveyard shift in the past. Eating and training was easy for me. Sleeping was the hard part.
I'd get off work and go to the gym at 8am. After that I ate breakfast and tried to sleep.

i have been on the graveyard shift for about 6 years now. eat every few waking hours. i train after i get off work as i am fueled up. have some coffee at the end of the shift. sleep is a luxury. get my 6 hours most every day. and i have some daylight during the winter months as it is not dark when i get off work. melatonin before bed really helps many of my buddies that have worked this shift long term use it.

I workin the emergency room so I have the ability to pack good meals and etc. it's nice hearing what you guys do. Have anyone tried the intermitting diet while working the graveyard shift.i have been out of the game for a couple of years and I'm finally getting a diet down to where I can lose bf, I was just 220lbs and 8%bf and now I'm 217lbs and 14% bf.

I've worked night shifts, actually still do a lot part time, but did it full time for couple of years. Not bad once you get used to it, body will regulate itself. I work 24hr shifts now sometimes 36-48 so you find ways to get where you want to go. I built a small gym here at work that I'd rather use than some health clubs! But i need my Real Gym on my days off!! Stick to your goals, and adjust family life as needed. Great advice in this thread too.

I do security as well. It sucks.

You could eat at breaks and you lunch,,,carry a cooler. You could train fast and intense...HIT/DC type training if your time is limited.

I worked night shifts for 3 years straight. I thought it helped me with diet and training just because I continued to live those hours on my nights off. No people bothering me, gf asleep, and zero distractions. Probably the best shape I have been in my entire life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity