over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Growing delts

richiec

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
We all know that genetics will dictate the look of muscles, but not growth. That said, my delts are lacking imo.

I feel like it's mainly the lateral and rear delts that are lack luster. I do shoulders with chest (doing a MD workout program, not individualized)
I do lateral raises, rear delts on pec dec (20-30 reps) and smith machine overhead every once in a while. These are the main exercises off the top of my head

Anyone got any other shoulder movements to help stimulate growth? Have never had much success with them growing. TIA

If your Delts are Lacking, you need to Prioritize them.

Do them 1st when you do your Chest, or toss in just a Shoulders Day.
How many times a Week do you hit Shoulders, if it's only once a week, toss in an Extra Session a week............ JP

I caught mine up by hammering them EOD. Laterals, cable lateral, bent over laterals. 5-6 sets or so, but on chest/shoulder day hit the pressing movements

well . . .

My best results were achieved utilizing a very simple but effective pre-exhaust routine.

Start with a set of very strict standing, arms locked, lateral raises (~20 reps) immediately,
less than 3 seconds, followed by a set of standing behind the neck barbell presses (~20 reps).
Do this two to three times a week.

Have everything set-up in advance; dumbbells at your at your feet and the bar already
loaded, then begin. If fail before your prescribed reps, continue with partials until failure
on both the laterals and the press behind the neck. If you do not have the shoulder
flexibility for press behind the neck presses, do ‘regular’ presses and not on a machine.

One or two, perhaps even three cycles will be sufficient. If you can do more cycles than that
than you are not working hard enough. I would start with two cycles and go up or down
from there. And when in doubt, do less cycles, not more.

Guaranteed, this will fry your delts. In a matter of three to four weeks, you will see results
but you must do them exactly as prescribed, especially the time between exercises as a
muscle regains about fifty percent of its strength after approximately three seconds.

And be sure to check your ego at the door. It’s not how much weight you are using, it is
how you do them. You will probably have to start with about half the weight you were
accustomed to using in both exercises, but you will get stronger and larger delts.

An alternative routine I have used which produced good results for a while is again to
start with lateral raises, then do wide grip up-right rows followed by press behind the
neck with the same weight, for as many reps you can perform. I think this, in retrospect,
lead to overtraining, but was very very productive in the short term.

I think that the deltoids are about the easiest body part to train and subsequently see
results in. Conversely they are about the easiest body part to over-train as they serve some
function in just about every upper body exercise.

Hope this helps. Please give this a try. Keep accurate records and report back with some
fotos (before and after) if possible. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

High volume and low-moderate weight seems to work the best for me after doing heavy presses for my first couple of years.

A favorite of mine for the last few years has been seated cable upright rows with a v-bar, ez-bar, or long dual handles. I keep the weight light and switch up my body lean + handle positions to focus on different areas of the delt. I also like to superset another exercise with this. I.E cable flies, smith shoulder press, or db laterals. I'll do up to 15-20 rep sets with low rest.

Rear delts. Most guys need to focus on them; they add greatly to that round capped look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

don't be fooled by the delts you see on most pros today..

they are, as Aceto says: "muffin'd up"

I just thinking how my shoulders need a bit of work. This is a helpful read. I was thinking about doing them twice a week. I do give them there own day but I feel I'm lacking in the lateral.

In the past, the lateral and back deltoids of the pro were not so massive. At present, everyone has 3 full heads like footballs.

I think it has to do with slin and SEO, and not with training routines.

Ur just jealous of BBC genetics [emoji14]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The key to developing shoulders or any muscle is actually feeling the muscle work while you perform exercises. That seems to be hard for many guys on shoulders. I've literally heard guys say, "I never feel presses in my shoulders but I know if I do them they'll grow" - no, if you don't feel the muscle work, they won't.

Figure out proper form on lateral raises, presses, etc., FOR YOU. Do whatever weird ROM, strange hand position, whatever you have to do as long as you feel the deltoid muscles squeeze and burn as you're working them.

Most kinds of rows will also build up the rear head of the delt. Mine are often times quite sore after back day. Barbell rows work really well.

My delts a very weak genetic point for me. Years of doing the same shit every week have built mine up.

Read this closely because it's pretty hard to catch because of the formula I used to come up with it,

Heavy military press
Heavy side laterals
Heavy reverse pec deks

3 sets of each.

Don't want pro delts, just feel mine are lacking.

My delts a very weak genetic point for me. Years of doing the same shit every week have built mine up.

Read this closely because it's pretty hard to catch because of the formula I used to come up with it,

Heavy military press
Heavy side laterals
Heavy reverse pec deks

3 sets of each.

What is/was your rep range?

My best results were achieved utilizing a very simple but effective pre-exhaust routine.

Start with a set of very strict standing, arms locked, lateral raises (~20 reps) immediately,
less than 3 seconds, followed by a set of standing behind the neck barbell presses (~20 reps).
Do this two to three times a week.

Have everything set-up in advance; dumbbells at your at your feet and the bar already
loaded, then begin. If fail before your prescribed reps, continue with partials until failure
on both the laterals and the press behind the neck. If you do not have the shoulder
flexibility for press behind the neck presses, do ‘regular’ presses and not on a machine.

One or two, perhaps even three cycles will be sufficient. If you can do more cycles than that
than you are not working hard enough. I would start with two cycles and go up or down
from there. And when in doubt, do less cycles, not more.

Guaranteed, this will fry your delts. In a matter of three to four weeks, you will see results
but you must do them exactly as prescribed, especially the time between exercises as a
muscle regains about fifty percent of its strength after approximately three seconds.

And be sure to check your ego at the door. It’s not how much weight you are using, it is
how you do them. You will probably have to start with about half the weight you were
accustomed to using in both exercises, but you will get stronger and larger delts.

An alternative routine I have used which produced good results for a while is again to
start with lateral raises, then do wide grip up-right rows followed by press behind the
neck with the same weight, for as many reps you can perform. I think this, in retrospect,
lead to overtraining, but was very very productive in the short term.

I think that the deltoids are about the easiest body part to train and subsequently see
results in. Conversely they are about the easiest body part to over-train as they serve some
function in just about every upper body exercise.

Hope this helps. Please give this a try. Keep accurate records and report back with some
fotos (before and after) if possible. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to give this a fair shot! Thanks Alfresco!

Heavy military press
Heavy side laterals
Heavy reverse pec deks

3 sets of each.

so is that all 3 in a row, or is it. wait. is it 1 set of each then or....is it all 3 of....wait....so hard. so complicated. so simple
but! u dont NEED to go heavy. it worked awesome for you but the facts of meta-analysis show anywhere from 30% to 90% 1rep max weights will work. as long as u hit failure or close to it for 9 sets. thats the key. not weight but effort put out. no stopping 3 reps short. moderate effort workouts are just as effective as no workouts at all.
the cool thing bout that is u can hit failure with high reps and keep your joints/tendons safe.

My delts were always a weak point, but injuries that forced me to train lighter had the side effect of improving my delts over the last ten years. I used to train them heavy as hell, 125lb dumbells x8 on seated shoulder press, now I don't go over 75lbs dumbbells on shoulder press and my delts have improved. Side laterals and rear delts I have learned to isolate the muscle and take the back out of it, this has helped as well. I think the nature of the deltoid muscle is a little different than other muscles and responds well to lighter weight and higher reps, super sets, drop sets, etc. especially side and rear delts. I believe it is fact that they have a higher proportion of slow twitch fibers in medial delts than most other muscles, I read that in an anatomy textbook once...

I realized early on that when i would see guys on stage at local shows, everyone had huge front delt from bench press Monday, and no rear delts. I wanted to stand out so i prioritized read delts. I trained delts hard once a week, but I also started every upperbody workout with 6 sets of rear delts on the reverse pec deck. I’m not sure how long i did this but it really made the rear delts grow quickly. My rear delts always get compliments.

Last edited:
Power cleans, wide grip upright rows, Presses from the rack, DB side laterals, Bent seated DB rear relt shrugs, face pulls, inverted fly face dwon on incline bench.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear