over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Growth principles for beginners

BIG A I just glanced at your pic and you are huge. You mean to tell me you got that huge by doing only two working sets per muscle group once per week?

I'm in shock! I was under the impression that most of this extremely low volume stuff was just someone writing articles or trying to sell someone something. It has been my belief that most professionals were doing 8 to 16 sets per body part once per week.

Ive been around the block in the local gyms but am just trying to take all this info in at this point. I do 8 to 12 sets once per week and still feel like I am undertraining at times. According to your article I am overtraining!!!! BIG A, I feel lost!!! :confused:

MR.BICEPS said:
BIG A I just glanced at your pic and you are huge. You mean to tell me you got that huge by doing only two working sets per muscle group once per week?

I'm in shock! I was under the impression that most of this extremely low volume stuff was just someone writing articles or trying to sell someone something. It has been my belief that most professionals were doing 8 to 16 sets per body part once per week.

Ive been around the block in the local gyms but am just trying to take all this info in at this point. I do 8 to 12 sets once per week and still feel like I am undertraining at times. According to your article I am overtraining!!!! BIG A, I feel lost!!! :confused:

First of all, I am not huge. It's illusion! LOL
I have a pic of me together with Kovacks and I look like a midget.
Off season I only get to 280.

That article is a copy of what I do in real life.
One thing that you have to understand is that it's not about how many sets you do but it's about how much time under tension the muscle is.
When i do a set, I do 3 seconds in the negative, 1 second in the stretched position, 1 to 2 seconds in the positive with 1 second in the contracted position. That is up to 7 seconds per rep -sometimes I slow it even more. Extremelly painful.
Each set is done to 100% PHYSICAL failure - your mind will tell you to stop way before the body actually fails.
Each set is so intense, it takes up to 5 minutes just to recover from it.
Most people don't have the balls to properly train this way, that's why they say they tried it and nothing happened. Nothing happened because they didn't do it properly. Even the ones that they think that they did it properly, once they do a workout with me they realise they didn't even come close!
Every person that trains with me and keeps up, gets phenomenal gains, naturally or not.

Big A said:
First of all, I am not huge. It's illusion! LOL
I have a pic of me together with Kovacks and I look like a midget.
Off season I only get to 280.

That article is a copy of what I do in real life.
One thing that you have to understand is that it's not about how many sets you do but it's about how much time under tension the muscle is.
When i do a set, I do 3 seconds in the negative, 1 second in the stretched position, 1 to 2 seconds in the positive with 1 second in the contracted position. That is up to 7 seconds per rep -sometimes I slow it even more. Extremelly painful.
Each set is done to 100% PHYSICAL failure - your mind will tell you to stop way before the body actually fails.
Each set is so intense, it takes up to 5 minutes just to recover from it.
Most people don't have the balls to properly train this way, that's why they say they tried it and nothing happened. Nothing happened because they didn't do it properly. Even the ones that they think that they did it properly, once they do a workout with me they realise they didn't even come close!
Every person that trains with me and keeps up, gets phenomenal gains, naturally or not.

Very Intersting Indeed. My guess is you have to lower the weights a bit to do this thing right. Your right in saying many have tried low volume including myself, but never have I tried the tempo and peak contraction in which you speak. Now you have me interested!

And by the way 280lbs off season is still monsterous by anyones standards! lol

Big A, thanks for posting the routine. I am going to start it next week, I took this week off to recover. Your routine is very similar to Mentzers Heavy Duty I routine. What have you found to be the ideal rep tempo. I was doing 4-2-4 as Mentzer recommended on the HD I routine but my weights when way down. I also wanted to ask you how long you train all out before taking a week off or a couple cruise weeks like DC recommends where all sets are stopped short of failure?

npcnj8 said:
Big A, thanks for posting the routine. I am going to start it next week, I took this week off to recover. Your routine is very similar to Mentzers Heavy Duty I routine. What have you found to be the ideal rep tempo. I was doing 4-2-4 as Mentzer recommended on the HD I routine but my weights when way down. I also wanted to ask you how long you train all out before taking a week off or a couple cruise weeks like DC recommends where all sets are stopped short of failure?

Tempo is (starting with negative) 3-1-2-1.
On gear or natural I can't seem to be able to go more than 3 weeks without taking the fourth off. And I mean off - no gym at all for that week.

Big A said:
Tempo is (starting with negative) 3-1-2-1.
On gear or natural I can't seem to be able to go more than 3 weeks without taking the fourth off. And I mean off - no gym at all for that week.

Do you come back stronger when you take off that week while on a cycle?

MR.BICEPS said:
Do you come back stronger when you take off that week while on a cycle?

Hell yes.

Hello to all, although im not a beginner when it comes to building muscle however I am new to this board. This is my 1st post and I would like to start out by saying to Big A how very informative and well said this topic is. This is truely and seriously a break down on how 1 should start out and build level by level for proper growth and ultimately pro muscle maturity

Big A, what are your thoughts on using some of the Hammer Equipment for sake of variety or do you only advocate free weights? I was thinking of switching over to the Incline Hammer Press because I have hit a plateau on Incline Barbell.

npcnj8 said:
Big A, what are your thoughts on using some of the Hammer Equipment for sake of variety or do you only advocate free weights? I was thinking of switching over to the Incline Hammer Press because I have hit a plateau on Incline Barbell.

I always like to switch around. I usually just stick to bbs, dbs and hammers.

npcnj8 said:

You hit a plateau with your chest? Do some intense legs!! Legs with blast you through most sticking points on just about any bodypart. Nobody has big enough quads..

Great info.

What i don't understand you say in your chest example straigt on to the next set from bench to flys.

Wed - Quads, Hams, Calves
* Squats - warm-ups, 1 work set
* Leg press - work set
* Leg extension - work set
* Leg curl - warm-up, work set
* Stiff leg deadlift - work set
* Standing calf raise - work set

So you are doing squat with no rest go to legg press with no rest go to leg extension ?

Or you wait several minutes before you do your next exercise ?

zwier said:
Great info.

What i don't understand you say in your chest example straigt on to the next set from bench to flys.

Wed - Quads, Hams, Calves
* Squats - warm-ups, 1 work set
* Leg press - work set
* Leg extension - work set
* Leg curl - warm-up, work set
* Stiff leg deadlift - work set
* Standing calf raise - work set

So you are doing squat with no rest go to legg press with no rest go to leg extension ?

Or you wait several minutes before you do your next exercise ?

No. By saying go straight to the next exercise, I mean no need to do warm-ups.

But you still have to rest in between sets and exercises, so you are ready to give it 100% on your next set.

THIS IS GREAT INFORMATION, BIG A!

YOU HAVE EXPLAINED THINGS REALLY WELL.

MR.Nitrous said:
Big A

You should make a video on how to train.

MR.Nitrous

I am deciding which pro shows to do next year (2005). Most likely will be the end of year Euro GPs. Around those comps, when I will be in shape, a proper training video is in the plans.

I want to thank Big A for posting this wealth of info. I started the routine at the beginning of September at 198lbs, I got on the scale yesterday and was up to 214. I have been eating a boatload of protein like Big A suggests and keeping the carbs just under 300 grams a day. I am totally clean and have not made gains like this since I first started. My strength is through the roof, up in reps or weight every workout. I encourage everybody to try it, you will be suprised how well something so simple works. Big A, I would to see you make a training video to.

Nice!!

Big A and Big Heinz thanks a lot guys!! This is some of the best fundemental information for beginners I have seen in a while. If I had this at my disposal a couple of years ago I might look a lot better today but hey I've got nothing but time. Its nice to have some good grounded fundementals to look back at for the future.

Happy Holidays

Perhaps a little suggestion :)

I read you're going to train hard again BigA and it might be cool if you'd keep a training log on here with weights, exercises etc

Just a suggestion :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner