advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Guys who've had shoulder surgery; did you lose peak on that bicep?

lookslikesausage

Registered
Had surgery on shoulder for a torn labrum in 2006. Used to have a nice peak on both biceps. The one on the side of the operated shoulder now looks rectangular and flat from the front. From a rear viewpoint, the peak is pretty small but the brachialis is now much bigger than it was before the surgery. Brachialis on the operated shoulder is also now bigger than on the non-operated side. Anything similar happen to anyone?

Very similar. 2 Labrum and rotator tears 2 years apart from each other. Changed the bicep look, the side delt as well as the lat insertion on that side. It basically took all my external rotation out so pushing my elbows forward in a front double bi didnt flare my lat like it is supposed to.

All this shit is common in surgeries though. Muscles adapt and other ones take on the load, is uusually means weird symetry but if you're lucky, you can work around it.

Had surgery on shoulder for a torn labrum in 2006. Used to have a nice peak on both biceps. The one on the side of the operated shoulder now looks rectangular and flat from the front. From a rear viewpoint, the peak is pretty small but the brachialis is now much bigger than it was before the surgery. Brachialis on the operated shoulder is also now bigger than on the non-operated side. Anything similar happen to anyone?

Did the surgeon also do a bicep tenodesis? Many will as it improves recovery of the repaired labrum with the long head of the bicep no longer attached to it. Depending how far down your surgeon inserted the tendon into your humerus will affect the long heads shape. I had both shoulders repaired back in 2018. Bicep Tenodesis done during both surgeries. My biceps peak actually improved in both arms post surgery:)

I had one shoulder rebuilt with a ruptured biceps repaired and 2 rotators reattached. And another where the shoulder was replaced and the shape stayed the same just was smaller after the 2nd surgery.

Did the surgeon also do a bicep tenodesis? Many will as it improves recovery of the repaired labrum with the long head of the bicep no longer attached to it. Depending how far down your surgeon inserted the tendon into your humerus will affect the long heads shape. I had both shoulders repaired back in 2018. Bicep Tenodesis done during both surgeries. My biceps peak actually improved in both arms post surgery:)

This makes sense. The biceps connects to the labrum so it could effect the biceps shape if the surgeon work in the biceps origin.

Had a bad shoulder injury no surgery but kinda changed the angle I can curl. Left bicep is no weaker and still good size but has a much blockier look meaning much less peak and a little more square shaped as the sides seem to now carry more of the mass than before

I don't believe he did but i'm not positive. It was in '06. I had three screws put in that shoulder and lost some overhead mobility and extension. Oddly, the operated delt has much better shape than the non-operated one but i'm pretty sure i tore the rotator cuff in that one and was not diagnosed properly (was very young at the time).

I was going to post this but you already covered it.

I will say that when the biceps tenodesis is done it usually does quite well from a weight lifters perspective. Often times the intraarticular portion of the biceps tendon is just messed up after years of abuse and hanging on by a thread...sometimes literallly and its pulling on the biceps anchor portion of the labrum. So the basically just cut it, debride part of the effed up part and tack it down to the proximal humerus . Basically the same mechanics except now its anchored with a screw and not crossing the joint. For many people it seem to improve the appearance of a biceps peak due the origin and insertion being closer post op. Also a lot less shoulder pain ( which was really biceps in origin to begin with).

However...pleeeeease do not be be maxing out after. Just dont... you dont want that to be revised it wont go great. Keep rep ranges higher.

I had a shoulder labrum cleanup/repair a few years ago, the doctor wanted to do a biceps tenodesis, I had to talk him out of it, very glad I did, it's normally something they do.

Biceps don't need heavy weight, don't use heavy weight on them, over time it will shred that tendon that attaches at the labrum.

I had a shoulder labrum cleanup/repair a few years ago, the doctor wanted to do a biceps tenodesis, I had to talk him out of it, very glad I did, it's normally something they do.

Biceps don't need heavy weight, don't use heavy weight on them, over time it will shred that tendon that attaches at the labrum.

How long did it take to recover from the cleanup/repair? Specifically, time off, rehab/PT if any, then back to training and then back to your normal intensity? Just curious as I think I'm facing some level of repair as well. Have an apt with the surgeon next week. I'm terrified of what the imaging will show him. I've had nagging pain for months.

How long did it take to recover from the cleanup/repair? Specifically, time off, rehab/PT if any, then back to training and then back to your normal intensity? Just curious as I think I'm facing some level of repair as well. Have an apt with the surgeon next week. I'm terrified of what the imaging will show him. I've had nagging pain for months.
depends on what is messed up and how bad. had one shoulder done a while back and was back in the gym with light weights working my way back up after 7weeks. the second shoulder was Sept 10th and I cannot even start PT until week 5 post op but this one was a lot worse and surprised it didnt dislocate with all that was torn.

I had my shoulder scoped(slap tear) years ago and lost peak on that bicep

I was back to training in 2 weeks, he just trimmed the torn labrem, removed floating bodies and cleaned up the biceps tendon. If I had the tendon moved it would have been 6months+

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws