over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gym Etiquette

Jarhed

Newbies
Gym Etiquette
by Liz Neporent, M.A.

A few weeks ago we asked you to tell us about the most annoying person at the gym. More than 40 percent of you reported that the person who steals your spot in step class and the idiot who talks at the top of his lungs on his cell phone while taking up space on a bike are the people you'd most like to banish from the gym.

This just goes to show you that even at a gym -- a place where tank tops, profuse sweating and mild grunting are perfectly acceptable -- there are still rules of etiquette. Sure, the social graces expected in a weight room are a bit different from those expected at the symphony or the
advertisement

Louvre, but manners are important just the same. If you're not well versed in the rituals and customs that are unique to gyms, don't expect your fellow gym members to talk to you, let alone offer to spot you on the bench press or share their secrets for a great leg workout. Once you learn how you're expected to act, you'll feel a lot more at home in your club.

Share and share alike
In a gym, weight equipment is considered communal property, so don't sit on a machine while you rest between sets. Stand up and let a fellow gym member work in with you -- in other words, let the member alternate sets with you. If someone else is using a machine or free weights that you have your eye on, feel free to say, "Mind if I work in with you?"

Obey time limits
Many gyms have a 30-minute time limit on aerobic machinery during prime times. Don't cover your timer with a towel and ignore it, especially if it's obvious other people are waiting for their turn. Although only 1 percent of you reported that this was an annoyance to you in our reader's poll, we've seen people come to blows over this.

Neatness counts
When you have removed a weight plate from a bar or when you are finished using a pair of dumbbells, return the weights to their designated spot on the rack. Never leave dumbbells or barbells on the floor when you're finished using them. Someone may trip on them. If you leave dumbbells on the floor between sets, criss-cross them or butt them up against the wall or the bench so they can't roll away.

Keep your DNA to yourself
Carry a towel and wipe off any bench or machine you use. Nothing is quite as icky as picking up a slippery weight or lying down in a stranger's pool of sweat. If you forget to bring a towel, use your sweatshirt or the paper towels provided by the club.

Don't do anything in the locker room you wouldn't do in your own bathroom
You don't pour a mountain of baby powder on the floor, use six towels, leave dirty tissues on the vanity or stuff clumps of hair down the drain in your bathroom at home, do you? Even if you are guilty of these things at home, don't do them at your gym!

Have some class in the classroom
Besides resisting step position kleptomania, don't barge into a class 10 minutes late and don't distract other class takers by making up your own routine rather than following the instructor's. Always show respect for other class members' personal space; don't flail your arms in someone else's face or block their view in the mirror if you can help it.

Be a rat
If you see a flagrant etiquette violation, don't be afraid to inform the club staff. Far from seeing you as a snitch, your fellow gym-goers will thank you. The rules are for everyone.

great post

here are a few more that i think need mentioning.

1. do not talk about steroids because they are illegal and if i catch you discussing them or if i even suspect you're using them i will turn you in for your own good.

2. do not use any weight that require your needing a spotter. if you need a spotter then the weight is too heavy and you might hurt yourself.

3. instead of doing 3 sets of 10 reps do 1 set of 30 reps that way your're not hogging the weight for so long and someone else can use them.

4. whenever you start to sweat just stop what you're doing and cool down. that way you won't leave sweat on the machines and you won't have to shower which will save water and essentially help the environment.

5. stick with the circuit machines, because there's too much of a chance for injury with free weights.

6. wear plastic shower booties in the locker room to avoid contracting athlete's foot and they will also prevent unnecessary slips which could seriously injure you.

7. make it your policy to insure that every girl wears appropriate workout attire. if you notice a girl wearing clothing that reveals her nipples or if she's not wearing panties please inform her of her infraction and tell her the next time you catch her violating your personal code you will be forced to turn her in.

8. if your benchpressing and someone walks up and asks how much longer you'll be because they want to barbell curl off the bench. don't make that person wait, rather ask them if they would like to work in with you that way you'll spread the brotherly love that every gym needs.

9. if your laying on the benchpress and a girl walks by and you happen to glance up her shorts and see her genitilia , kindly call her over to a corner and inform her that proper young ladies will wear appropriate clothing and if she must wear baggy shorts then she has to place rubber bands around the legs of the shorts to prevent other members from being offended by seeing her genitilia.

10. vulgar and profane talk is not allowed. replace words like shit with feces, excrement,stool sample. replace fuck with procreate,
breed, intercourse. goddamn is stricly prohibitted and should be replaced with gosh darnit, golly whiz. jimity cricket, jumping jellyfish, gosh doggies.

BILL

Last edited:
I would not inform the staff

I'd just tell you to pick up the weights myself. I see alot of morons in gyms, sometimes I wonder what these peoples houses must look and smell like :rolleyes: (yuck!). what gets me is when you see someone grunting LOUDLY, and they got the weight a 2 yr old could lift :D :rolleyes:

Re: I would not inform the staff

Johnny Bravo said:
I'd just tell you to pick up the weights myself. I see alot of morons in gyms, sometimes I wonder what these peoples houses must look and smell like :rolleyes: (yuck!). what gets me is when you see someone grunting LOUDLY, and they got the weight a 2 yr old could lift :D :rolleyes:

John-I guess that would be 'drug free's' brother that wears the superman shirt, 'eh? :D (John and I go to the same gym).

that's right!

I hate when somebody swipes my spot in step class. - CH

great article

I'm gonna print this article and ask our gym to post it because everyone of those people go to my gym.

What can you say about Bill's post...:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner