over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gym Etiquette

My view on life is I just try to treat everyone with respect even if they aren't deserving of it. I don't offer people advice in the gym but if someone asked for a spot I do it. If I see someone pinned underway bar I will help them even if they are a dumbass.

Another thing to consider is a lot of beginners are afraid to ask others for a spot or help because they are embarassed or too shy, especially to ask a big muscular guy for help.

I am in 100% agreement with this.
I was a shy kid that was always smaller than average, I remember being scared to even go to the gym because I thought it was going to be intimidating.
Fast forward to age 19, I had just moved to Hawaii and almost felt like that all over again. I trained at a gym that had some really hard core looking clientele. Locals don't always like people from the mainland, so I already felt awkward about that. The guys at the gym were jacked, heavily tattooed (on the neck and hands, some even on the face). They looked hard core. I remember one guy in particular had a couple gold teeth.

So I'm the only guy there who is white, didn't live in that little town his whole life, wasn't jacked, and and wasn't familiar with the gym. I was timid as hell.

I warmed up a few sets on incline, and began a rest paused set (was doing DC at the time, this was when 'cycles for pennies' was first posted).
There were no safety pins or smith or anything like that, I was just on the incline and the only place for the weights to go was on the rack or on my body.

My first two parts of the RP set went fine, and I was taking my breaths for the last part of the RP. I took the bar off the rack when my time was up, and got a couple reps out. I usually know when I have 1 rep left, but when I did what I thought was going to be my 2nd to last rep, I just completely failed at the bottom and couldn't budge a millimeter. I could see myself in the mirror looking like a red blowfish and the weight began teetering like I was going to dump it.

The guy with the gold teeth covered in tats ran over, jumped over some equipment and helped me rack it at the last moment. He introduced himself, shook my hand, and told me if I ever needed a spot to just ask him or one of 'the guys' and pointed to the small group across the room. I couldn't believe how polite he was, I had really passed judgement on these guys before getting to know them.
I felt really welcome there after that and enjoyed training there until I moved to another island.

Last edited:
I am in 100% agreement with this.
I was a shy kid that was always smaller than average, I remember being scared to even go to the gym because I thought it was going to be intimidating.
Fast forward to age 19, I had just moved to Hawaii and almost felt like that all over again. I trained at a gym that had some really hard core looking clientele. Locals don't always like people from the mainland, so I already felt awkward about that. The guys at the gym were jacked, heavily tattooed (on the neck and hands, some even on the face). They looked hard core. I remember one guy in particular had a couple gold teeth.

So I'm the only guy there who is white, didn't live in that little town his whole life, wasn't jacked, and and wasn't familiar with the gym. I was timid as hell.

I warmed up a few sets on incline, and began a rest paused set (was doing DC at the time, this was when 'cycles for pennies' was first posted).
There were no safety pins or smith or anything like that, I was just on the incline and the only place for the weights to go was on the rack or on my body.

My first two parts of the RP set went fine, and I was taking my breaths for the last part of the RP. I took the bar off the rack when my time was up, and got a couple reps out. I usually know when I have 1 rep left, but when I did what I thought was going to be my 2nd to last rep, I just completely failed at the bottom and couldn't budge a millimeter. I could see myself in the mirror looking like a red blowfish and the weight began teetering like I was going to dump it.

The guy with the gold teeth covered in tats ran over, jumped over some equipment and helped me rack it at the last moment. He introduced himself, shook my hand, and told me if I ever needed a spot to just ask him or one of 'the guys' and pointed to the small group across the room. I couldn't believe how polite he was, I had really passed judgement on these guys before getting to know them.
I felt really welcome there after that and enjoyed training there until I moved to another island.

I understand beginners are intimidated, but I think there is a lesson to be learned here: I'm one of the nicest guys in the gym, but you've gotta show me enough respect not to be a judgmental asshole and assume otherwise just because I'm big before I'm going to show you that.

When I am not at the rig I train in a commercial gym anyways I was in there a few years ago and I see this kid doing bench with 205 he is obviously struggling so I went over asked him if he needed help. At first he was embarrassed and maybe a little intimidated so he said no. I walked away and kept watching him out of the corner of my eye and he is still struggling a lot so I walk over again after his set and ask him to spot me. He says ok. When he got off the bench his pants slid up a little on his ankles and he was all burned up obviously old scars. I didn't ask him about it but he spotted me. I asked the gym manager about him later and found out his dad had lit him on fire when he was 13. He was 19 at the time I met him. Anyways we started to lift together and became friends. Right now he is in college (I am paying for it) and he is gunna graduate soon as a mechanical engineer. He is pretty big now too.
My point I guess is you never know a persons situation or why they in that situation till you talk to him/her. This kid was trying to get big so his dad didn't hurt him no more so he was doing shit wrong but hoping to grow.
I am glad I helped him out and didnt shrug it off cuz he is going to be a good man and I feel like I helped him go the right way a little bit.

When I am not at the rig I train in a commercial gym anyways I was in there a few years ago and I see this kid doing bench with 205 he is obviously struggling so I went over asked him if he needed help. At first he was embarrassed and maybe a little intimidated so he said no. I walked away and kept watching him out of the corner of my eye and he is still struggling a lot so I walk over again after his set and ask him to spot me. He says ok. When he got off the bench his pants slid up a little on his ankles and he was all burned up obviously old scars. I didn't ask him about it but he spotted me. I asked the gym manager about him later and found out his dad had lit him on fire when he was 13. He was 19 at the time I met him. Anyways we started to lift together and became friends. Right now he is in college (I am paying for it) and he is gunna graduate soon as a mechanical engineer. He is pretty big now too.
My point I guess is you never know a persons situation or why they in that situation till you talk to him/her. This kid was trying to get big so his dad didn't hurt him no more so he was doing shit wrong but hoping to grow.
I am glad I helped him out and didnt shrug it off cuz he is going to be a good man and I feel like I helped him go the right way a little bit.

congrats bro on becoming the father he never had. ihmo life dosnt get any better than making a real difference for a young man/women whos been through a tough time. :):)

C. Help him out, and offer to spot him in the future if he has any more sets.
I wouldn't bother to lecture him.
I'm betting he is to embarrassed and freaked out from almost being crushed to bench heavy without a spotter for a while.

I'm going to assume most people would help the person out "THE FIRST TIME HE DID IT". The second time done, he's on his own! :D

More in my book, "Understanding 300lbs Gorillas"

sorry, had to write this :D

The best way to keep those 300 lb gorillas at bay is throw them a banana and a good bottle of tren. ;) Friends for life:D

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131