over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gym owners

Big Bapper

Moderator - R.I.P.
My new gym and fitness centre is due to open early June. So we are getting close. We have 2000sft ground floor of weights and carido equiment and 2000sft second floor to hire out by the hour for boxersize, arobeix, martial arts etc. I have took out a half page advertizeing feture in the local news paper and have flyers to be delivered to all the houses in the area of the gym. Where the gym is we dont have to compete with any franchies and by the word on the street we are going to do very well because of lack of facilities in the area. I am new to the gym trade so my question is what pit falls can I expect as I beleive in learning from peoples mastakes and can anyone else give me any good pointers to help incress memberships. My supplement distribution business will be also operating from the same building. So my goal is to achive a one stop shop for fitness.

Thanks.

hell yeah sounds killer.not in indiana by chace is it lol.man i need a new gym cardinal fitness sux 100 lb dumbells ha.its o.k in the summer for cuttin but forget about the winter bulkin.

First big rule BB is learn how to say NO! You will get them by the dozens. Remember that equipment did not get there for free and you are not a community service. Yes help people, give them some good advice and be friendly................But at some stage they will need to pay for your services and advice.................it's how you make your living and pay the bills. Do not be afraid to do some quick promos like join for three onths and get the fourth month free!!! Do some three and six month membership specials. Grand opening discounts etc. Give away in the community a bunch of 1 visit cards. They bring the card in and they train for one day free, to try it out. It's all about numbers. Do some in house promos. The most consistant member gets a free t-shirt and some protein powder........stuff like that. Get into the community by donating memberships to be auctioned or raffled for the community groups like schools and clubs..........When they ask for sponsorship. BTW BB you know you can PM me anytime bro. If you need some help or advice, let me know brother. And as always ALL THE BEST TO YOU MY FRIEND! BTW how's the family BB? I hope all is well. Good luck bro!

have the popular radio station come out opening day and give things away...2 tans, supplemetns, discount memeberships and what not.

watch out for EMPLOYEE THEF...any where from giving out free memberships to shakes to tanning.

I have found hiring hot women gets more fellas in there... :) I ran a gym for a while i a college town and I had more guys thank me for the hot chicks I hired...but if they steal from you, make an example out of one of them...take them to court and all that.

Do NOT let your gym be known for dealing AAS out of...VERY VERY bad rep that you do not want. post signs and put in their contracts DRUGS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in this facility.

KEEP THINGS CLEAN!!!!

The #1 bitch I had was the music...so enjoy that one...TOO LOUD...what is this crap you are playing...can we listen to jazz...what is the deal with the music.

have the popular radio station come out opening day and give things away...2 tans, supplemetns, discount memeberships and what not.

watch out for EMPLOYEE THEF...any where from giving out free memberships to shakes to tanning.

I have found hiring hot women gets more fellas in there... :) I ran a gym for a while i a college town and I had more guys thank me for the hot chicks I hired...but if they steal from you, make an example out of one of them...take them to court and all that.

Do NOT let your gym be known for dealing AAS out of...VERY VERY bad rep that you do not want. post signs and put in their contracts DRUGS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in this facility.

KEEP THINGS CLEAN!!!!

The #1 bitch I had was the music...so enjoy that one...TOO LOUD...what is this crap you are playing...can we listen to jazz...what is the deal with the music.
Very good points, I sorta assumed that to be the norm anyway. I have bounced a couple of meatheads out of my gyms in the past for that reason, not they were dealing or carrying into the gym..... but their attitude and approaches to other members and bad attitude towards the owner........That's not healthy......for them!

HAHAHA the music........yes this is a good one. I usually tell them (nicely) did you come to my gym to dance or train........I'm here for 12 hrs you're here for one..................................guess what we listen to?????????HAHAHAHAHA:cool: Cracks me up everytime!!!

oh man...where do i even begin....looking to opening one myself. found a location 10,000 sq ft at $5 a sq ft!!!!!!!!!! cheap!!!

Some very good points there. Thanks guys, Its a very exiting time for me at present. With me little girl in the backround. We are all good thanks oldfella and with the opening of the gym. I have worked out that I need 100 members every month to make this work.

Some very good points there. Thanks guys, Its a very exiting time for me at present. With me little girl in the backround. We are all good thanks oldfella and with the opening of the gym. I have worked out that I need 100 members every month to make this work.
I wish you 100 aday my friend!!!!:eek: Then you can sit back and count the money! Good luck BB and be well!

Thanks buddy.:)

oh man...where do i even begin....looking to opening one myself. found a location 10,000 sq ft at $5 a sq ft!!!!!!!!!! cheap!!!

BBA,

come here...we have a 20,000sq/ft building that sits right on the freeway...the building is equvialent to 2.5 stories high, vaulted ceilngs. .55 a square foot...if I had the backing, I would bust it out into a bad ass gym. The club I train at now has 3,500 members at 50.00 a member...this place could do 400+ members before the doors even open. Slap a GOLDS GYM franchise on it and BAM it blows up.

Congrats on opening your own place. When I head down you way, I will be sure to stop in.

BBA,

come here...we have a 20,000sq/ft building that sits right on the freeway...the building is equvialent to 2.5 stories high, vaulted ceilngs. .55 a square foot...if I had the backing, I would bust it out into a bad ass gym. The club I train at now has 3,500 members at 50.00 a member...this place could do 400+ members before the doors even open. Slap a GOLDS GYM franchise on it and BAM it blows up.

Congrats on opening your own place. When I head down you way, I will be sure to stop in.

where is here? .55 a sq ft? what did i read that right? dude if its that cheap you gotta find a way to do it! im actually gonna move away from this human oven and move back to Iowa to open this gym. so if you're in that area...yeah sure, it would be great to have you stop by.

Some Thoughts

Mr. Bapper:

I have managed gyms in the past and been an investor in gyms from small facilities to 56,000 sq ft ones and they shared the same problems. My info is from many years ago but I bet some of the same holds true. I do mezzanine level investing in some other small businesses and they have the same problems:

1. You will under estimate expenses. (taxes, insurance, advertising, theft, mainenance, utilities, accounting fees, legal fees, etc)
2. You will over estimate collected revenue.
3. Market penetration, market share we be slower in growing than you predict

Do not be undercapitalized. The right concept, right location, right product, can take time to reach its "tipping point" where success is imminent.

I think you should have 6 months operating expenses available if possible as a cushion.

Give serious thought to your price points, types of membership levels ( morning only, matinee, senior, student) etc. and how you bill (contract, monthly with no committment, monthly with committment). Also each state has its own laws concerning bonding requirements, etc for health clubs due to their checkered past.

Many industy publications are available that give you statistics for various operations and ideas. Most knowledge is local but it is better to immerse yourself in the knowledge and apply what you desire

I wish you success. I can't promise with 100% clarity that you will succeed. I can promise with 100% accurracy that if you do not attempt anthing you will never succeed.

Pekkerwood

Mr. Bapper:

I have managed gyms in the past and been an investor in gyms from small facilities to 56,000 sq ft ones and they shared the same problems. My info is from many years ago but I bet some of the same holds true. I do mezzanine level investing in some other small businesses and they have the same problems:

1. You will under estimate expenses. (taxes, insurance, advertising, theft, mainenance, utilities, accounting fees, legal fees, etc)
2. You will over estimate collected revenue.
3. Market penetration, market share we be slower in growing than you predict

Do not be undercapitalized. The right concept, right location, right product, can take time to reach its "tipping point" where success is imminent.

I think you should have 6 months operating expenses available if possible as a cushion.

Give serious thought to your price points, types of membership levels ( morning only, matinee, senior, student) etc. and how you bill (contract, monthly with no committment, monthly with committment). Also each state has its own laws concerning bonding requirements, etc for health clubs due to their checkered past.

Many industy publications are available that give you statistics for various operations and ideas. Most knowledge is local but it is better to immerse yourself in the knowledge and apply what you desire

I wish you success. I can't promise with 100% clarity that you will succeed. I can promise with 100% accurracy that if you do not attempt anthing you will never succeed.

Pekkerwood

Great advice Bro. I have already broke rule no.1. Thanks.

200 sq ft seems very small.....the gym I go to is 20,000 sq ft+

Its 4000 sq ft. Witch is big over here. We are not baced is the USA.

hey bb,

lots of good info here...the best way to always be increasing memberships is to have something that appeals to everyone. The bodybuilders, MILFs, seniors (they like to stay active), teens, and have aerobics, kickboxing, beginning training, advanced training, etc. Good luck.

Alot of gyms have poor staff with low skills and general lack of confidence with any one except the new beginner and there sales skills are poor.It is not logical to set up a gym and have a person pay a one of fee type structure then miss the opportunity to sell more each time they come in.This problem can be over come most gyms just do not know how.Also an idea for promotion i thought of was a team competition where businesses enter a team of 3 -whatever male and/or female and do a simple series of excercises at light weights . say 6 excercise and the reps are counted at the end of 6 weeks the team with the most reps will win.by that time at least a few will want to join.Which will be a few you didnt have.

Watch out for your employees that work at night, especially if there isn't a real manager on duty. It never failed that they were the ones who would give me free tans, free protein drinks, and let me stay after hours. Best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131