over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gyms in Carol Stream, Illinois?

PowerPass

My wife teaches there and she says it is a pretty good layout...........a bit snobbish there, but an ok gym none the less..........:D

I signed up for XSport near me when they first opened and I got a PowerPass for FREE... I may start taking advantage of it and travel around every other week or something like that just for variety.

i work out at the YMCA, the two I go to are Leaning Tower and Buehler.

i know everyone thinks the YMCA sucks, but if you look there are a lot of really good ones

Is the Leaning Tower gym still a dungeon? I remember no mirrors, no air circulation, chalk dust everywhere, the original metal plates with no handles unlike all these rubber-covered ones places now use, and a whole host of characters, including a powerlifting guy that would scream "I'm the King" and drove around with license plates "I pump Fe" (Fe=iron for all the non-science minds)... We'd sneak Olympic bars out to the conference/ball room across the hallway and do lunges there until the staff caught us...From memory, the epitome of hard core!

I did my first squat ever there, so it holds a special place in my heart. Was told by an old timer who had been there forever that Arnold would grab a workout there when he came through Chicago back in the early 80s.

Last edited:
Not too much...

not sure.............I am sure you could look it up online........

I want to say it's around $30/month (or so)? I THINK they have sign-up fee now, didn't when I signed up.

didn't know...

Didn't know there were several from the NW 'burbs... we should meet up and tear apart a Chinese Buffet someday!

Motivated....

Is the Leaning Tower gym still a dungeon? I remember no mirrors, no air circulation, chalk dust everywhere, the original metal plates with no handles unlike all these rubber-covered ones places now use, and a whole host of characters, including a powerlifting guy that would scream "I'm the King" and drove around with license plates "I pump Fe" (Fe=iron for all the non-science minds)... We'd sneak Olympic bars out to the conference/ball room across the hallway and do lunges there until the staff caught us...From memory, the epitome of hard core!

I did my first squat ever there, so it holds a special place in my heart. Was told by an old timer who had been there forever that Arnold would grab a workout there when he came through Chicago back in the early 80s.

Oh wow... I'm only 20 minutes from there... now I'm even more motivated.

Thing is, I'm afraid I've been "pacified" by my gym and I'll just stand in the corner too afraid to lift a weight :D

Oh wow... I'm only 20 minutes from there... now I'm even more motivated.

Thing is, I'm afraid I've been "pacified" by my gym and I'll just stand in the corner too afraid to lift a weight :D

50 mins from this place, but hell might be worth the drive if i have to wait 45 mins to use a squat rack at my gym now

Niles area.

well....

there is a fan... and there are some mirrors... but

its still the best gym in the area and its pretty hardcore we have a monolift, 100lb plates, deadlift area, lots of ppl use chalk, good people, camaraderie, FORZA benches, its a badass gym

thats awesome about arnie... I have been working out there since i started, goin on about 8 years I have been there... best gym ever

WHATUP CSL? How you doin?

Last edited:
I have an xsport p-pass also. I think there are like 13-14 around chicagoland.
They are 24 hrs which is good and some have dbs to 150 but thats it. They do have a nice variety of equipment. They are for sure not a powerlifting gym.
More of a health club but it will work. best hardcore gym in the area is probably quads in cal city. I train there too. There was a powerhouse on roselle rd but I think it is gone now.Good luck

AZ have you tried the Life Time Fitness on Gary Rd in Carol Stream ,,, pricey but great weights ,equipment and machines. I go to Xport in Niles and Life Time in Schaumurg

Myosin ..........remember Norm Zale who ran the weightroom for several years at the Leaning Tower. I started there in '76 and Zale was the self-proclaimed trainer to everyone at the Y. And God forbid you dropped a weight, you were gone for at least 3 days. Most guys there wanted to kill him . He weighed 150lbsand was an endless source of nothing, but being a pain-in-the-ass !! Did my first powerlifting meet there in '77. Great times!!!

AZ have you tried the Life Time Fitness on Gary Rd in Carol Stream ,,, pricey but great weights ,equipment and machines. I go to Xport in Niles and Life Time in Schaumurg

i looked into them, they wanted 60 a month and 150 down payment. i laughed and walked out

Myosin ..........remember Norm Zale who ran the weightroom for several years at the Leaning Tower. I started there in '76 and Zale was the self-proclaimed trainer to everyone at the Y. And God forbid you dropped a weight, you were gone for at least 3 days. Most guys there wanted to kill him . He weighed 150lbsand was an endless source of nothing, but being a pain-in-the-ass !! Did my first powerlifting meet there in '77. Great times!!!

Ha ha ha Norm zale= ultimate douche guru of nothing.forgot that name.
I trained at leaning tower a few more times late 90s or so.
Just another Y but with that leaning eyesore that needs a push.

well....

there is a fan... and there are some mirrors... but

its still the best gym in the area and its pretty hardcore we have a monolift, 100lb plates, deadlift area, lots of ppl use chalk, good people, camaraderie, FORZA benches, its a badass gym

thats awesome about arnie... I have been working out there since i started, goin on about 8 years I have been there... best gym ever

WHATUP CSL? How you doin?

hey bro, I will fire you an email this weekend!!!

I just moved from Carol Stream.

There's a Lifetime on Gary Ave. in Bloomindale (15min away)

XSport Lombard is a little closer than the XSport in St. Charles I did most of my training at XSport Lombard when I lived in Carol Stream (Lombard 15-20min, St. Charles 20-30min)

The Cardinal in Wheaton, on the corner of Geneva and Schmale/Main St. isn't bad. The db's arent heavy but if 100lb db's aren't enough just do your reps slower!!! (a few mins away)

Ideal Fitness and an Anytime Fitness on North Ave. (both about 10min)

LA Fitness in Hanover (probably about 25min)

XSport Downers Grove (20-25 min)

If I can think of anymore I'll add them.

I'd go check out XSport Lombard, its hardcore, def worth the drive. Lots of competitors there and I've even seen Mike Liberatore there on random occasions. Def. a bodybuilding/powerlifting friendly atmosphere.

Didn't know there were several from the NW 'burbs... we should meet up and tear apart a Chinese Buffet someday!

Niles area.

Yea I have worked out at the milwaukee Xsport a few times. I lived in niles for a loooong time, now im in arlington heights which is about 10 mins from there down golf rd.

chinese buffets are always good! :headbang:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity