over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hammer Strength equipment

Who uses, and likes the hammer strenth equipment. I do use it, but wanted some opinions on if free weights, or cable machines are better. I only use the row machine, but in my gym there is a shoulder press and i put 270 on it like its nothing. I sure couldn't military 270 for reps though. Is it taking away from the lift. Are these machines purely for strength.

I used to love it but am leaning more toward dumbbell traininig than anything,,,at least upper body.

Resistance training for breaking down tissue is simply resistance training. The muscle doesn't know the difference between Hammer strength, a set of dumbells or curling a broom with paint cans tied to the ends. The idea that mass can only be built through heavy free weight training is absurd. Go to a world class gym and see pros training. They use dumbells, barbells, hammer strength, and just about any piece of equipment that gives them a great pump, breaks down tissue and promotes growth. It's simply instinct that tells a bodybuilder what is working and what doesn't. Don't restrict yourself to just one type of equipment or the other. Someone even mentioned it here that Dorian Yates used a lot of Hammer equipment in his training and he raised the bar on MASS. Back in the day several world class bodybuilders were contracted to use just Nautilus equipment and developed pretty good off this equipment. Growth has more to do with intensity, rest and nutrition than the equipment used.

The gym I use to train at had some Hammer machines. I loved them. My favorite was the reverse leg curls. It was just something different than the regular old leg curls. I would always rotate my workout. One week dumbbells or free weights and the next week the machines.

Hammer Strength is pretty much the only machines I use at all. I agree with some of the others, I try to use mostly free weights. But Hammer Strength stuff is great when you're going to failure on presses and don't have someone to spot you. There are a few that don't seem to pivot the same direction my body wants to go, even after adjusting the seat, grip,etc....

The best equipment for any purpose

I agree.... 100%

not sure why some people would say they are not good for building mass.... pro bb's use these all the time... they seem pretty massive to me... lol

Resistance training for breaking down tissue is simply resistance training. The muscle doesn't know the difference between Hammer strength, a set of dumbells or curling a broom with paint cans tied to the ends. The idea that mass can only be built through heavy free weight training is absurd. Go to a world class gym and see pros training. They use dumbells, barbells, hammer strength, and just about any piece of equipment that gives them a great pump, breaks down tissue and promotes growth. It's simply instinct that tells a bodybuilder what is working and what doesn't. Don't restrict yourself to just one type of equipment or the other. Someone even mentioned it here that Dorian Yates used a lot of Hammer equipment in his training and he raised the bar on MASS. Back in the day several world class bodybuilders were contracted to use just Nautilus equipment and developed pretty good off this equipment. Growth has more to do with intensity, rest and nutrition than the equipment used.

bingo

good post, bro

Thanks Bro,

Had a feeling someone was going to jump down my throat for this one. Just the way things have been going.:rolleyes:

Exactly, Hammerstrength is great for people who don't like workout partners or relying on peoples help.

yates built his initial mass with free weights, he has been very vocal about this.

i think free weights are always the best option. hammer strength is very good equipment, and i especially like some of the back equipment, but it is no replacement for the basic freeweight movements.

the weight travels on a fixed plane, and no assistor groups are used. IMO this leads to incomplete development. you see lots of guys who load plate after plate on the hammer squat or squat press who couldn't free squat 315 to save their lives.

3 plates on the hammer incline press does not equal 135lb dumbells in each hand either. etc, etc.

once again, i think it is good equipment and it has it's place, especially for people without spotters or injuries, or if you just want to mix it up or do something different. but, if you have the option, i think free weights are the way to go.

i like the hammer strength incline and flat ...i use them every once in a while at the end of my chest workouts after bb and db's ...im not to fond of the back machines though ...although i throw them in every now and then to mix it up ...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear