over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

hard to find good spotters....

brisk walk

Registered
The other night I am in the gym......working chest......going to start with bench presses.

So I proceed to do my three warm up sets......I get to my heavy set and decide to look around for a spotter.....just in case I get stuck......maybe 4-5 guys in the gym due to the fact that it is 9 pm......find one guy who says he will help me out......so I rest for a few minutes.....get a drink of water......do a few seconds of meditation......get pumped up and all of a sudden this fella says to me........."HOW MUCH IS ON THE BAR????" I say 335.......he says Wow.....Right before the lift off he says "I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH OF A HELP I'LL BE"........Now I am thinking oh shit.....can't believe he said that.....what a negative thing to say right before I commence my set.....The guy evidently had never really given a spot.....funny thing is he looked fairly well built and seemed to be able to give a lift off and spot......I guess this reminds me of the old saying......NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER.....anyhow.....let's hear your stories of piss poor spots in the gym!

LOL yeah that is a horrible thing to say to someone before something like that. Its like before a superbowl game your coach is standing wide eyed on the sideline looking at the other team saying OHH SHIIIIT..

The more I think of it, really having one person to spot you if theres more than 3 plates is pretty much useless. You may know that you just need a little help on the last one or two reps. But I mean if there was an accident or a pec tore or something and it fell on your neck youre gonna usually need more than 1 guy to peel it off. And itll take time for them to just figure out they need to strip the weights off of the sides instead.

Damn I over-analyze stuff too much :st:r-wars

I always bench in a power rack, don't worry I squat in it too. :p

The best addition to the rack was Spud straps to act as a safety. They work even better than the pins.

Maybe he just didn't want to spot you. I had a guy ask me to spot him on squats and on his 4th rep he went straight down to the ground. I was literally pulling up on him as hard as I could and he just dropped the weights. Of course everyone was staring at me cause I was his spot... Lol..I was pretty embarrassed and get really uneasy now when anyone asks me to spot them.

lmao @ op's story. I specifically tell the spotter do not touch the bar unless I ask for help. I tell them this very firmly. Most guys when they see me struggle immediately grab the bar.

Dude wtf? That's the best part of the lift and I'll get red lighted in competition for that.

Hahahahah, I never ever spot. You may think I'm a dick, but I'm a firm believer, if you can't do the complete set, you really shouldn't be doing that weight.

Lmao it reminds me of once in a great while you get this guys that spot you but holds on to the bar on the negatives as well,you'll be like what the f.ck on bench,military press and standing barbell curls lol,they would spot you but also hold the bar going negative anybody had that experience???

i work out of my college gym and today they were doing a training for the new fitness consultants and they were being instructed to "always spot from the wrists". i wanted to throw a weight at the so called "instructor"

Hahahahah, I never ever spot. You may think I'm a dick, but I'm a firm believer, if you can't do the complete set, you really shouldn't be doing that weight.

lolwut? Going for a 1-5rm without a spotter on the bench without a spotter is dangerous.

Yup.. funny how you can tell your spotter something and they nod to and agree to it.. but then 30 seconds later it goes out the door and they break your rules.. especially the not touching the bar for help until I SAY SOMETHING.... but they either keep their hands on the bar the entire time or get anxious and help you pull the weight up before you really have a chance to struggle with it......... I always think "wow, my primary chest exercise was just wasted for the week."

Some dudes will try to spot you by the wrists........how did they ever get that idea in their heads......you must always spot under the elbows.

These friggin personal trainers and so called fitness experts are the most clueless folks you'll ever run across.

I have had almost all of these situations happen to me. It really sucks that you have to have a paint by the numbers ready for someone to spot you correctly

Maybe he just didn't want to spot you. I had a guy ask me to spot him on squats and on his 4th rep he went straight down to the ground. I was literally pulling up on him as hard as I could and he just dropped the weights. Of course everyone was staring at me cause I was his spot... Lol..I was pretty embarrassed and get really uneasy now when anyone asks me to spot them.

that was his fault, not yours. A spotter is a helper, not a lift it for me and I'll just stop trying

well if you have a person who is somewhat intelligent you don't need a strong person to spot - unless you are going for an all out max lift where you might totally miss it

an average girl will suffice to spot. as you do each rep your muscles fatigue. basically its kinda like every rep you do, your max (at that point) is temporarily reduced. when you reach failure the spotter only need to apply maybe 20-50 lbs of force to aid you.

now if you want to do the single heavy like i stated or massive forced reps you need someone more capable

how bout this one ..... i was squatting and one of my friends came with me for leg day ... he was one of those chest and arm guys.... never did legs... hes a pretty built kid but like i said ...no legs... he had about 185 on the bar and really was struggling bad..... we are good friends so i was raggin on him bad so i was like "i can do more then double that easyyyyyy.." hes like yea right ur full of shitt blah blah blah... so i say throw 405 on the bar, he does it.... now i know i could get 7 good ones easy.

Now theres this kid that always used to watch me squat, dead and stuff at the gym hes always asking me all diff questions...noone pays him much mind but he pushes real hard every time hes at the gym so i always make small talk with him....

now im all cocky and shit and go.." hey big guy (talking to the kid) come over here and spot me ...." he got so excited and was like yeaaa lets do this shit.... im playing it up for him getting amped up and i unrack it.... walk it out, and start squatin ....i do about 5 so my legs are pretty fatigued i scream out ONEEE MOREEE (knowing i have it just fine)... hes like arrite LETS GOOOOO....... i finish the rep and start to walk it back in....

The fuckin kid was following me but tripped over himself and pushed me foward...... i couldnt control the weight on my back and i went flying foward ....thank god as i was falling foward... the bar caught one of the rungs on the rack and i fell to the ground un hurt and the bar stood on one of the lowest settings....... Scariest momment in the gym ever......

moral of the story... dont be a cocky dickhead.... ALL MY FAULT... the kid was scared shitless thinking i was gunna be pissed, must of apologized a million times.. still apologizes to me from time to time ughhhhh

man some of you guys lift with idiots...even the younger kids i ask are always fine. but i think most kids in high school probably play football and have had a strength coach show them how to spot properly

I wouldnt have gotten very worked up over him saying that, I could care less. What would make me more mad than anything is the guy that yanks up as hard as he can as soon as he sees your start to struggle. I have had little 110 lbs girls spot bench for me.Anyhow, I enjoy that view too while im lifting! Really if youre lifting like you should be you wont need much help if you get stuck. I think youre benching the wrong way if you need a big strong guy to spot you. Only time I think you need a strong spotter is if youre doing singles, and thats powerlifting not bodybuidling.

I cant stand spotting anyone everytime i do the person has way too much weight on the bench and is bouncing it off their chest and turning it into a decline. If your complaining your spotter sucks maybe you are the idiot using too much weight. I enjoy giving half ass spots to these people.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131