advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has any serious bodybuilder successfully lowered protein intake for a short time?

I stay around a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, AT MOST.. pretty much no matter what my goals are I stay there. i've tried going higher, around 1.25 to 1.5, and I really saw no added benefit. Maybe 1 gram per pound is simply where my body maxes out on how much it can use. idk. I don't go lower because I feel like thats a relatively safe level to stay at for extended periods of time, am I wrong?

I have yo yo'ed up and down my entire life. I have gone from 190-240 several times. I don't see a reason to stay at 240 for any period of time other than peaking when I choose to.

If you want to be at a weight and stay there I could see eating constantly and keeping your protein high at all times. I personally feel cycling you entire diet on a yearly basis is both physically and mentally healthy. I appreciate athletes like Kevin Levrone who prove you can live a normal life style and then push on the gas and grow when needed.

I don't see a reason to avoid lowering your protein here and there to let your digestive system and body recoup and then increasing it when you need it more. I feel no matter my weight or diet I could achieve my best physique in 3-6 month no matter my starting point.

So, I figure if a person wanted to relax with their diet for a period of time it is acceptable. Even if you loose X amount of muscle you could still rebuild it. Taking break from "pushing it" can give a mental break in which allows you to "push it" even harder and achieve greater heights versus staying the same with diet for an extended period of time.

Basically having and ebb and flow allows you to peak and still maintain sanity in the long run.

Last edited:
i totally agree.

Numerous studies have shown you only need 0.6g - 0.8g per Lb of body weight to gain muscle. High protein diets just produce expensive urine.

I kinda suspected this for years. Companies just want to sell you more protein powder.

Keep in mind those studies are almost always done with natural lifters. When any kind of performance enhancing substances are introduced the body can utilize more protein.

I think "b-boy" lowered his significantly when he was doing intermittent fasting (may still be) he didn't seem to lose any size at all.

Keep in mind those studies are almost always done with natural lifters. When any kind of performance enhancing substances are introduced the body can utilize more protein.

Exactly. There's a reason why the bodybuilders that make their living this way aren't eating low protein.

Those studies are done also in people that aren't bodybuilders but are also the average untrained individual.

I have been eating higher levels of protein for 30 some years and I find I do better with it then lower levels such as less then a gram per lb of body weight. If some one has used a lot of drugs or had a high blood pressure and damaged their kidneys then lower levels may be required.

Regardless of the industry and its sales need, high protein intake is not just because you want to gain muscle or strength. People consume and advocate for high amounts for a simple reason: it helps control appetite and reduce fat gain.

I have 5 meals a day, 4 are solid foods and one is a casein shake.

Regardless of the industry and its sales need, high protein intake is not just because you want to gain muscle or strength. People consume and advocate for high amounts for a simple reason: it helps control appetite and reduce fat gain.

And also TEF. Four to five calories are burned to completely digest 100 calories of fats or carbs. To digest 100 calories of protein it takes about 25 calories.

Your insulin levels would also be more stable. Putting on muscle the calories have to come from somewhere. Why not take the most stable approach? However, like anything, there can be a thing as too much. 1.5 g/lb would be the absolute max for me as a natural.

I'm experimenting with the higher healthy fats like Tom here advocates, which is why I bumped that other thread on fats and adding mass.

Some days I see why little slice is a dick to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The body is made to grow in spurts. Not sure it's really that productive to constantly force in 300+ g protein a day in perpetuity. Probably better to limit that kind of intake for when all 3 major columns are in place: training, diet and gear. So when regrouping through cruise, TRT or off, reduction of protein should be in the plan t decrease the stress when gaining is not the priority and recovery and re-equilibrium is the goal. Cycleing has somehow lost it's meaning these days. This is part of cycling.

TheMass aka Mitchell Staats says that he prepped on very high carb, low protein

and it worked quite well for him...

It all boils down to an individuals body and how well they utilize the food. His body is obvious very efficient at using protein towards muscular repair.

Of course this whole thing isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. Truth is high protein, low protein. At the end of the day your either going to grow and look like a bodybuilder or not.

I'm pretty sure Mitch trains his balls off which most people can't seem to grasp there not training as hard as they think they are.

to those above saying you can "utilize more" when enhanced. Many say it's the opposite.

You need less protein/lb when on gear, as there is more OPTIMIZED nutrient partitioning...IE, your body is BETTER at utilizing the nutrients coming in. You don't suddenly become more catabolic when enhanced therefore requiring more protein.

Get the protein amount you NEED (prob 1g per lb max), then make up the rest with fat/CHO.

Yes i know this goes against the grain, but it makes sense physiologically.

I think you can get away with lower protein for short periods of time during a diet.

However my most successful lengths of time
Were always on higher protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People consume and advocate for high amounts for a simple reason: it helps control appetite and reduce fat gain.

I'm not trying to be funny here but you're saying you eat high protein to control your appetite but you eat 5 meals a day? How many meals would you be eating if your appetite was not under control?

I think it's funny how all the smaller guys comment on the threads about gaining muscle

I'm not trying to be funny here but you're saying you eat high protein to control your appetite but you eat 5 meals a day? How many meals would you be eating if your appetite was not under control?

Lol, when I'm in off season or maintenance with high fat diet, I do not go hungry and I do not need as much protein. But if I'm in cut, I could eat 8 times a day.

I do not eat more times because I do not like to cook, I do not need more protein and also the protein is expensive, lol.

I think it's funny how all the smaller guys comment on the threads about gaining muscle

I have a list of people who I listen to

I just scroll through the threads looking for those names :eek:

Bunch of skinny teen-looking fuckers giving bodybuilding advice here

I have a list of people who I listen to

I just scroll through the threads looking for those names :eek:

Bunch of skinny teen-looking fuckers giving bodybuilding advice here

Same. It's usually the bigger guys too who tell you to keep it simple. Just eat lots of protein lots of food train a lot and rest a lot.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear