YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has anyone had surgery for a labrum tear of the shoulder?

King-kong

Registered
Jumped off a cliff in Mexico and didn't tuck my arms in.
Unfortunately the result was a tear in my shoulder.
Surgeon said up to 8 weeks of being immobile in that arm???
He also said while we are in there he can reattach an old bicep tear.

I really don't want to be down any longer than I have to. I'm afraid trying to reattach the bicep will be not worth the trouble. I've had the detached bicep for years and it's been a non issue physically or strength wise.
I go in Thursday. To be honest if the pain was a bit less I'd cancel surgery and just try to deal with it. Unf the shoulder is beginning to atrophy and the pain warrants surgery.

Any advice is greatly appreciate. Also, Are there any supplements or anything at all I can take to help heal.

Sounds like you have a SLAP lesion and the biceps tear is associated with it... having both repaired at the same time is a no-brainer.

Attachments

• labrum-tear2.jpg
    labrum-tear2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 201
I responded in the other thread KK and your PM.
You'll get through this!

Rehab it, without having the surgery. That surgery is rough and it's a minimum of 12 weeks out of all activity. You will be in a sling for about two weeks post surgery, than no use asides from rehab for the next ten weeks.

Also, both friends of mine who have had this surgery never felt fully recovered and both regret ever having the surgery. Both played sports and thought it would get them back into the game, but both ended up coming back with significant problems and ended up retiring.

I had this surgery a little over 2 years ago where my labrum tear was so severe they had to reattach it to my bicep tendon. I'm sure this is probably pretty common but a buddy of mine that had his done a week after mine didn't have to have his reattached to his bicep tendon and his recovery was MUCH shorter.

I completed about 8-10 weeks of rehab and then started lifting lightly after about 3-4 months. I took my therapy as seriously as possible and then eased back into training and was back at it full speed after about 7-8 months. Now over 2 years later and I have zero issues other than where my bicep and front delt meet looking a little different than my other side.

Thank you everyone. Sick to my stomach knowing I may be out of commission that long. I don't have time for therapy every day. I hope they can give a home program

Had this done about 2 yrs ago also. Also the supra was torn off. Sling for a month, rehab for 2 months. I was in the gym 2 days after surgery working legs, kept right on going with legs and my right side. That being said, I never regained the strength I had (the surgeon told me that I wouldn't, the damage just too bad). Had to do the surgery, couldn't sleep at night due to the pain.

Also had this surgery done and for me it was not a success. My shoulder was less prone to luxation immediately after the surgery but once I was out of the sling and using it again, the tear in my labrum just came back. I just deal with it nowadays.

I had the surgery for a slap tear.its not worth the trouble
Mine feels the same if not worse.yes I went to a repeatable place too .was.out of work for 5 months.if you can deal with it deal with it
I have a slap tear in my other shoulder and will not get the surgery unless it gets real bad.hoodluck

Had surgery on both shoulders. One was probably from football the other was from a car accident. If the surgeon is good you will not regret getting it done. Rehab sucks but if you take it seriously you will heal much better. If you don't get it done it will always hamper your training. Use the time to hammer legs and when cleared work back slowly. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing. In the grand scheme of life if you lose 6-9 months of training but don't have to deal with constant pain it's worth it.

Thank you everyone. Sick to my stomach knowing I may be out of commission that long. I don't have time for therapy every day. I hope they can give a home program

There's usually about a 2-3 week following surgery with your arm is in a sling. The surgeon will want you to wear this for most of the day except when you bath. This is/was the most misserable time for me. Loss of independence in not being able to do the simple shit we all take for granted (wiping your ass, brushing your teeth/hair, putting on a shirt etc.
Physical therapy starts right after this period of immobility for 1 hour 2x/week straight through till your surgeon feels you no longer need PT. The first month of PT is primarily passive stretching (meaning your PT "carefully" gets your ROM back). Second month is typically active assisted ROM (you do the ROM exercises and your PT pushes you to get that last 2-5%). Third month you begin strength exercises (with very light weight/resistance) focusing on the entire shoulder and everything it ties into, lat, trap etc.
Like Tank mentioned above...muscle memory is a beautiful thing. You know your body best so you will know when it's time to add weight. As long as you have your ego in check and you follow your PT's recommendations you will recover and be near 100% by the end of 9months. I'd advise that you start looking differently at any exercise that involves a barbell other than deads. Bench, inclines, millitarys with a barbell can easily be adapted with dumbbells which give you much greater variation taking stress off the shoulder.
You can do this King Kong. One day at a time brother!

I had it done 15 months ago. I had a posterior and anterior tear, so I had no choice but to do it since my shoulder was basically rolling around in the socket. While the surgeon was in there, he saw that the arthritis was so bad I barely had any articular cartilage left (which is funny because before the labrum tear I didn't really have any shoulder pain), so he went ahead and did some micro-fracture while he was in there. Pain was damn near unbearable for the 1st 3 weeks, even with heavy duty pain meds. Rehab was long and slow, first 3 months was very limited in the gym, I'd say it took nearly 10-12 months before I was completely back to normal in the gym.

If you can't commit to doing PT with a therapist 3 X per week, you might not want to do the surgery. You need a PT to really work and stretch that joint for you or you could end up with a really limited range of motion or even a frozen shoulder. No way you can stretch on your own the way they do it for you. They stretch you way past the point you would go on your own - they were like torture sessions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad you posted this I was about to make a thread about the same thing but I'm on the other side of it. I chose to not do the surgery because my brother did have it and his surgeon head excellent qualifications he had performed on many professional athletes esp golfers he said. Anyway my brother has never been the same his range of motion is horrible and says he regrets it everyday. I had to take like 8 months off but now I can honestly say it feels like it never happened. Not gonna lie I was miserable my fat percentage went from 14 to 23. I guess from being so depressed. Just started back a couple weeks ago I'm weak but it feels good. Now I have to come a macro scheme and plan a body recomp. I feel for you brother and I hope everything works in your favor the wife and I will pray for you. Sorry for the rant just sharing my experience with some really cool guys.

I had mine done when they replaced my shoulder. If I had the labrum repaired sooner I may not have needed shoulder replacement.

Ugggh.
Have surgery tomorrow morning at 9. I really feel bad for those who had no luck. I just can't see working and screaming @&"%# every twenty to thirty minutes from the pain. But being out for weeks isn't very fun. I'm going to give it a shot. Being self employed I have benefits off and on. So I may as well get it done while I have them. I hate PT because of time constraints. I'm the type who goes to the doctors once every 5-7 years. Just had too many doctors who misdiagnosed things. I swear there are far smarter guys on here than the docs around here.
Last thing I want is to be on pain meds again. I swear some vacations or holidays are a blur from being on those. Back injury had me on them for a few years. I was able to avoid scheduled surgeries several times and it healed on its own. Unf this seems to be getting worse as time goes on.
Been looking into some peptides that have shown some healing properties. Whether they do anything or not who knows. Wish I could just do some magical injection to fix it I guess.
Thank you for both the good and bad. Seems like it's a 50/50. Hopefully I'll get lucky.
Thanks

That's commitment. I'm absolutely going to try to have the same mindset. My injury is far less than yours was. :)

Had this done about 2 yrs ago also. Also the supra was torn off. Sling for a month, rehab for 2 months. I was in the gym 2 days after surgery working legs, kept right on going with legs and my right side. That being said, I never regained the strength I had (the surgeon told me that I wouldn't, the damage just too bad). Had to do the surgery, couldn't sleep at night due to the pain.

Rehab it, without having the surgery. That surgery is rough and it's a minimum of 12 weeks out of all activity. You will be in a sling for about two weeks post surgery, than no use asides from rehab for the next ten weeks.

Also, both friends of mine who have had this surgery never felt fully recovered and both regret ever having the surgery. Both played sports and thought it would get them back into the game, but both ended up coming back with significant problems and ended up retiring.

NO thats not correct. I had my labrum re-attached and I was doing physical therapy the week after. Back to normal activities in 6 weeks. Mine was completely ripped off the bone. Find a better surgeon, your friends had some terrible doctors.

Ugggh.
Have surgery tomorrow morning at 9. I really feel bad for those who had no luck. I just can't see working and screaming @&"%# every twenty to thirty minutes from the pain. But being out for weeks isn't very fun. I'm going to give it a shot. Being self employed I have benefits off and on. So I may as well get it done while I have them. I hate PT because of time constraints. I'm the type who goes to the doctors once every 5-7 years. Just had too many doctors who misdiagnosed things. I swear there are far smarter guys on here than the docs around here.
Last thing I want is to be on pain meds again. I swear some vacations or holidays are a blur from being on those. Back injury had me on them for a few years. I was able to avoid scheduled surgeries several times and it healed on its own. Unf this seems to be getting worse as time goes on.
Been looking into some peptides that have shown some healing properties. Whether they do anything or not who knows. Wish I could just do some magical injection to fix it I guess.
Thank you for both the good and bad. Seems like it's a 50/50. Hopefully I'll get lucky.
Thanks

mine is better than it was prior to surgery.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131