advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has anyone taken a stress test recently? What should I expect?

Test-o-lean

Registered
Hey all,

Im scheduled for a stress test and echo in a couple of weeks. I was just curious what to expect in terms of cardio the day of the test. I do steady state cardio 3-4 times a week, but I am certainly not a runner and have no endurance for it as far as extended sprinting. I'm 230lbs and around 10%bf at 5'11. Is this going to kick my ass or should I be ok?

As for why I'm having this done, it's all voluntary. I'm 35yrs old and been "on" for a very very long time. Lifting hard for 15yrs. I had a ekg and echo 3yrs ago and all was clear. I want to know about my arteries though so the dr said a stress test was in order. I just had blood work done and I was all clear on that too. However, my dad dropped dead of a heart attack at 54 and he was also "healthy and active" with good blood work and good echos. I'm scared to death they are going to tell me I have arterie blockages to some degree.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Be ready to run your ass off. The running I can handle just fine but it's the incline that gets me. Depending on what one you are doing each stage lasts 2 or 3 minutes and each stage the incline gets steeper. For both tests. The echo is a little harder because you have to keep running while they take your BP. It throws you off a bit. Then at the end of the echo you have to hurry up and lay on the bed so they can get the images while you are still at max heart rate. They'll try and get you to stage 3 or 4 out of 7 levels. I made it through 6 but it was really hard. Don't know what your doc has available but bring a water and a towel to dry off. Wear shorts and good shoes. Hope everything goes well.

Be ready to run your ass off. The running I can handle just fine but it's the incline that gets me. Depending on what one you are doing each stage lasts 2 or 3 minutes and each stage the incline gets steeper. For both tests. The echo is a little harder because you have to keep running while they take your BP. It throws you off a bit. Then at the end of the echo you have to hurry up and lay on the bed so they can get the images while you are still at max heart rate. They'll try and get you to stage 3 or 4 out of 7 levels. I made it through 6 but it was really hard. Don't know what your doc has available but bring a water and a towel to dry off. Wear shorts and good shoes. Hope everything goes well.

Thanks for the info. The echo I had in 2013 was not like that. I just went into the office and laid down on the exam table and they performed the procedure. As far as I know, it's the same this time as well. My echo is at 10:00 and the stress test is at 11:30. No mention of cardio work during the echo. This is at a pretty well rated heart clinic. Not sure why the procedure would vary from place to place like that.
Anyway, I'll work on my running for the next two weeks. I know damn well right now I can not run hard on a steep incline for more than 120 seconds or so.

I thought they were going to kill me. I had it done 2 years ago,I was 300lbs at 5'8". They keep you on the treadmill until they hit your max heart rate. They had that thing going at about 10 miles per hr and 10 incline. My ham's were cramping so I said fuck this I'm done.So then they injected me with something then put me in a cat scan. Needless to say I was fine and they never did get me to the max heart rate they wanted.

Hey all,

Im scheduled for a stress test and echo in a couple of weeks. I was just curious what to expect in terms of cardio the day of the test. I do steady state cardio 3-4 times a week, but I am certainly not a runner and have no endurance for it as far as extended sprinting. I'm 230lbs and around 10%bf at 5'11. Is this going to kick my ass or should I be ok?

As for why I'm having this done, it's all voluntary. I'm 35yrs old and been "on" for a very very long time. Lifting hard for 15yrs. I had a ekg and echo 3yrs ago and all was clear. I want to know about my arteries though so the dr said a stress test was in order. I just had blood work done and I was all clear on that too. However, my dad dropped dead of a heart attack at 54 and he was also "healthy and active" with good blood work and good echos. I'm scared to death they are going to tell me I have arterie blockages to some degree.

Mine never went beyond a very fast walk until right at the end. She told me that I had completed the test and she wanted me to try for what she referred to as 110%, that was almost a slow jog. Of course I'm 56 and I do cardio, not at my target heart rate necessarily, but it was pretty easy. The echo is a nothing deal altogether, other than having some dude crawling all over you while he does it. Good Luck

Hey all,

Is it nuclear?
I hate those things you have to fast - for mine you did.
Go in the office and they take images of you cold, can't remember if they inject the radio dye after and make you wait. Then once you get started the speed and elevation go up every so often, the real pain is they are taking your BP and you are hauling ass and at the end when they get you to 80% max HR they inject the IV dye while you are about to collapse cause they break your stride grabbing the arm and holding it. Then they image it again under the dye. Doc told me tests won't show blockages until they are 95%.
Been several years maybe they have made some tech improvements since then.

They have a 100% fool proof CAT scan for the heart and all the BV under dye that is non invasive - not like when they scope your arteries through the thigh.
But doc told me it dumps a TON of radiation into you.

good luck with it -the echo sucks - ice cold gel laying on your side and your pec is hanging over and the tech is shoving the wand as deep as she can in the chest cause they are trying to get past the muscle.

Airline Piolots have to pass a stress test at 100% max heart rate....GEEZ

Last edited:
1. Never had a stress test but the echo you just lie there for 10 minutes while they do their thing.

2. Good for you for taking the initiative to get it done. Most people would rather just see temporarily decent bloodwork and convince themselves they are fine. I hope everything turns out ok.

My echo was nothing like that. It was just a couple weeks ago. It started with just lying there while they got their images and then I had to run my ass off and then quickly get back on the table to take the images again. I suppose there could be different types and maybe they did that with me because of my specific symptoms that I felt mostly when my body was under stress whether at work or the gym.

I appreciate all the info guys. I started a bit more intense cardio today and will continue it until the test. I could use some better endurance anyway. It sucks to hear that they can't see blockages until they are so bad. I hope technology has gotten better and they can tell more because that is the main reason I am doing it.

I appreciate all the info guys. I started a bit more intense cardio today and will continue it until the test. I could use some better endurance anyway. It sucks to hear that they can't see blockages until they are so bad. I hope technology has gotten better and they can tell more because that is the main reason I am doing it.

Good idea. Not having good cardio could mean you have a higher resting heart rate, which is one of the most accurate predictors or mortality. The lower that is at rest, the better your heart health.

I did one recently. Mine was just running on incline for about 10min. 3 levels of incline and at 4th I stopped because me knee I had surgery on hurt but I had already completed what I had to do. I was just hooked up to what appears an advanced type computer ekg machine not a regular one that took readings and my oxygen and blood pressure. Then afterwards they took it several more times for about 5 min.

The incline is what is so tough. What gets me usually is the incredibly painful pump I get in my calves. I stop because I cant take the burn in my calves. I feel like my claves give out before my heart is stressed to the max and I have a bad heart. You may be different.

is this a treadmill stress test or chemical stress test?

two different things. they can elevate your heart rate chemically and will usually tell you which one your are scheduled for. personally i would rather do the treadmill test. you get a workout and examination at the same time.

i was fortunate, had a good looking nurse.

he seemed like a really good guy and had a nice smile.

Post not intended to diagnose or treat health issues.

you all got me thinking about my cardio/lack thereof..

gonna start doing 20-30 mins ED LISS on the treadmill now...

reckon ill thank myself later in life.

I have not logged into the board in a while and this is the first thread I see. Funny.

I had a stress test a week ago. I also had an ultra sound. I wanted a physical on my heart because I was trying to get in better cardio shape and I felt like I was getting tired quit.

I didn't run at all... I didn't need to. I have long legs and just walked really fast. It only lasted 5 minutes. They made the treadmill faster and faster, but the goal was to get me to 175bpm. I made it to 175bpm just walking fast.

I thought wow, my heart rate went up fast. Probably took about 3 minutes to get close to 175.

Soo.... I called the nurse yesterday to find out the results. The ultrasound was fine and the stress test was fine. I just need to do more cardio.

I have been getting echos for at least 7 years now, and my EF has gone from the 40's to the upper 60's in the past few years. Biggest change was super heavy lifting no more, haven,t cycled heavy in years and do minimal cardio HIT vs the long drawn out shit. The walks I do with my dog I don't count but has a significant effect of keeping resting heart rate down.

I have not logged into the board in a while and this is the first thread I see. Funny.

I had a stress test a week ago. I also had an ultra sound. I wanted a physical on my heart because I was trying to get in better cardio shape and I felt like I was getting tired quit.

I didn't run at all... I didn't need to. I have long legs and just walked really fast. It only lasted 5 minutes. They made the treadmill faster and faster, but the goal was to get me to 175bpm. I made it to 175bpm just walking fast.

I thought wow, my heart rate went up fast. Probably took about 3 minutes to get close to 175.

Soo.... I called the nurse yesterday to find out the results. The ultrasound was fine and the stress test was fine. I just need to do more cardio.

I'd monitor your resting heart rate. The fact it got so high so quick could mean it's up there. Just keep doing challenging cardio.

I'd monitor your resting heart rate. The fact it got so high so quick could mean it's up there. Just keep doing challenging cardio.

It's usually 90. The cardiologist said anything less than 100 is normal. But I know it is high, just does not concern them

It's usually 90. The cardiologist said anything less than 100 is normal. But I know it is high, just does not concern them

I'm not trying to scare you but you might want to read this and challenge yourself to get it lower. This is something I have to fight a lot myself. When I'm doing everything perfectly and really restricting calories, my hr is 60-63, but living like that sucks. Otherwise, it climbs up to 80 or so and it is a little scary that there is such a large deviation.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/855013

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity