YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has Anyone Who's Had Lumbar Fusion Been Able To Retain Leg Size Afterwards?

lookslikesausage

Registered
I'm wondering if it's a given that the lower body will lose size, especially the quads. Would be very appreciative if some could share their experiences with this. Thanks!

I'm wondering if it's a given that the lower body will lose size, especially the quads. Would be very appreciative if some could share their experiences with this. Thanks!
Yes. I even managed to grow my legs after a few lower back fusions.

I'm wondering why you think your legs WILL lose size? Because you won't be able to squat heavy anymore? (Or you shouldn't be at least)

Yes. I even managed to grow my legs after a few lower back fusions.

I'm wondering why you think your legs WILL lose size? Because you won't be able to squat heavy anymore? (Or you shouldn't be at least)
I already don't squat heavy (for years now) and it's forced me to be more creative and I learned in the process that I could have very productive quality workouts without heavy weight. I was just wondering if the actual fusion surgery could somehow interrupt the nerve impulses to the legs. Stuart McGill talks about nerve ablation and how it could negatively affect the athlete. It got me wondering even more for the guys who have had fusions, which is more invasive than say something like discectomy, if they were able to maintain leg size. In actuality it shouldn't be an issue if one doesn't rely on heavy weight but then I suppose there is always the risk of nerves being affected with a surgery like a fusion. I guess one could argue that with any surgery there is a risk of nerves being affected negatively.

In my own case, I wrestle and I'm wondering if I were to get fused if it could cause me to get slower in addition to losing muscle (the original question).

I already don't squat heavy (for years now) and it's forced me to be more creative and I learned in the process that I could have very productive quality workouts without heavy weight. I was just wondering if the actual fusion surgery could somehow interrupt the nerve impulses to the legs. Stuart McGill talks about nerve ablation and how it could negatively affect the athlete. It got me wondering even more for the guys who have had fusions, which is more invasive than say something like discectomy, if they were able to maintain leg size. In actuality it shouldn't be an issue if one doesn't rely on heavy weight but then I suppose there is always the risk of nerves being affected with a surgery like a fusion. I guess one could argue that with any surgery there is a risk of nerves being affected negatively.

In my own case, I wrestle and I'm wondering if I were to get fused if it could cause me to get slower in addition to losing muscle (the original question).
Well, as long as they don't cut into a nerve by accident then you should be able to train as intensely as before the surgery, possibly even more intense.

So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The getting slower part in your wrestling is probably going to be unavoidable since fused is fused, it doesn't budge one bit anymore (which makes it such a foolproof procedure). But maybe you'll adopt new movement patterns that enable you to keep your speed?

The most important part is making sure you have a good surgeon, inform yourself properly and don't just take the first one.

Good luck bro.

Once you fuse a level of spine the above and below levels degenerate quicker as they are doing the workload of the fused joints. What once was spread through 5 lumbar joints is now spread through 3 or 4 therefore increasing their workload. You are smart to get a good leg workout and avoid heavy movements. Yes, you can return to your baseline activity but its not always a smart move. Take it day by day and see where you get.

for me ...no.

I had to stop heavy squats and leg press.

A correct fusion should not interfere with nerve conduction and the stimulus sent to the motor neuron. They should fire the same way they did prior, assuming there is no nerve damage from the surgery or from the nerve being impinged for an increased amount of time. Good luck! I just recently had lumbar surgery and am waiting to get back in the gym

Yes…took a long while for the glutes to catch up though

Once you fuse a level of spine the above and below levels degenerate quicker as they are doing the workload of the fused joints. What once was spread through 5 lumbar joints is now spread through 3 or 4 therefore increasing their workload. You are smart to get a good leg workout and avoid heavy movements. Yes, you can return to your baseline activity but its not always a smart move. Take it day by day and see where you get.

I'm about to get an ALIF by one of the best surgeons in a major US city for this type of stuff. I used to think the same thing but apparently this is not true. He informed me that this is about a 2% chance in the lower lumbar for someone that doesn't have degeneration in other discs. If there is degeneration present in other discs, then this could happen but it would happen no matter what with disc generation.

I'm about to get an ALIF by one of the best surgeons in a major US city for this type of stuff. I used to think the same thing but apparently this is not true. He informed me that this is about a 2% chance in the lower lumbar for someone that doesn't have degeneration in other discs. If there is degeneration present in other discs, then this could happen but it would happen no matter what with disc generation.

I worked with a spine surgeon who moved to New York City to work at a well know hospital there. He has a great reputation. He was on top of erasing bad reviews on himself as well. On paper or the internet he seemed like the best. You can ask a surgeon how good they are and they will tell you they are the best. On the contrary this guy was know to have a higher than normal amount of infections requiring a 2nd clean out surgery along with his colleagues stating he was not as good as you would think. So take the term "best doctor around" with a grain of salt. I am sure he is a good doctor and you will do well but even the best doctors can swing and miss. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion and if two doctors say the same thing then that is a good thing and if they contrast greatly then that would require a 3rd opinion.

Also, I disagree with this statement about adjacent disc degeneration status post a fusion. Its well know to happen and it physics. You cannot dispute physics. The more force that goes through any body part it degenerates quicker and this occurs when you fuse a joint, the above and below have more forces that go through then. Yes a disc with minimal degeneration with show less wear than an already degenerated one but a fusion will increase the rate at which it degenerates.

Not trying to argue with you but just giving my view point. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer anything for you that I can. People predictably to pretty well with fusions and the healthier your are the better you outcome will likely be. Also, people can seemingly randomly degenerate in different ways so don't worry about it too much either. So again, I bet you will do well with your surgery and have a good outcome. Good luck.

They told me that same thing. But those numbers would be for all patients not necessary for the average meathead i would bet. Once 2 vertebrae are fused the others are going to have to move a slight amount more to get the same amount of rotation. How much extra wear and tear that will put on the average BB'ers spine would probably depend on how crazy they are. I have know some that had many vertebrae fused over the years and some that only had 2 done. I go to surgeons that deal with pro athletes as if a pro will use them then they may be good enough for e.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131