YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has bodybuilding really advanced in the last 20 yrs ?

I truly wish I had more energy and was more inspired today, cause that really is a great thread/subject to which I'd love to contribute. Since that's unfortunately not the case, I'll try to condense my thoughts around what really differentiates this golden era from nowadays IMO: LOVE vs instant fame.

Most if not all guys back when I started lifting 21 years ago - BEFORE Internet took over - had a real PASSION for the sport... they loved training, loved the lifestyle, and most didn't care about what others thought about it... they did it for themselves, and though everyone could be a bit show off occasionally, still it was LIGHT YEARS from what's happening everyday in absolutely ALL the gyms all over this world... fitness type body 20 y.o. arrogant brainless dude in tank top weighting 180 lbs on 2g tren a week and 10 IU'S GH (let's also not forget the hipster beard :rolleyes:) doing one set of 25 reps cable crossovers to "pump up", then immediately taking a selfie and posting it up on Instagram... social media has killed any SPIRIT our sport could have... those decerebrate fuckers do it ONLY for recognition... their unique goal? Getting more "Like" on their FB page that the neighbor... whatever it costs, and no matter how silly they have to behave... :cool:

Frankly, going to the gym these days is a CHORE to me... knowing I'll have to somehow, even if I try to avoid it at all costs, interact with "them" is so annoying that I skip my workouts more and more... just to go in the woods to have a peaceful walk alone far from the fuss... a bit of cardio is still better than nothing. :eek:;)

"Arnold is talking about the results of his weekend training sessions in the countryside near Munich. He and a few training partners would load up a car with weights and drive out to the woods to train. They limited themselves to one exercise, like squats, and did them all day. Arnold once squatted for three hours, performing 55 sets."

The woods are awesome with or without weights. I can't blame you at all. I personally only go at open as the only folks there are this older gent who is old school and still competes. I also don't even have a cell phone and have never tweeter snaped booked lol.

I know folks will talk about how UGL gear has been tested and they're as good as Schering's, Organon's or Sanofi's, so please spare me.

Of course, I'm from a particular neck of the woods, so our mileages will certainly vary.

Agreed.

"Arnold is talking about the results of his weekend training sessions in the countryside near Munich. He and a few training partners would load up a car with weights and drive out to the woods to train. They limited themselves to one exercise, like squats, and did them all day. Arnold once squatted for three hours, performing 55 sets."

The woods are awesome with or without weights. I can't blame you at all. I personally only go at open as the only folks there are this older gent who is old school and still competes. I also don't even have a cell phone and have never tweeter snaped booked lol.

If you have the room for it and can afford some basic equipment then lifting at home is where it is at. I started that way in high school and ended up there in the end again. I stopped going to the gym in 08 and that was before the scene got so bad I think. It wasn't that bad back then, but was starting to get there. The main things that pissed me off: people talking on the cell phone at the bench wasting time, not racking their weights or putting them back wrong, and guys asking if I could help get them steroids.

If you have the room for it and can afford some basic equipment then lifting at home is where it is at. I started that way in high school and ended up there in the end again. I stopped going to the gym in 08 and that was before the scene got so bad I think. It wasn't that bad back then, but was starting to get there. The main things that pissed me off: people talking on the cell phone at the bench wasting time, not racking their weights or putting them back wrong, and guys asking if I could help get them steroids.

I do both. So many joint issues that I need the variety of all the machines at the gym. I also go to a whole in the wall "hardcore" gym that most folks are pretty cool at. There are some mega gyms in town and I can only imagine that those places are different.

I love my home gym and do a ton of training there. However I do still enjoy going to gyms and training a few times a week. I avoid the non sense at most gyms by going during off hours.

I bet the amount of competitors has increased but the amount of people who have the genetics and TIME/MONEY to put into bodybuilding to be elite hasn't changed. You have to remember how much time and money it takes to be an elite as well. Most people who have high-paying jobs simply don't have the time throuhgout the day to get all their meals in and take the large amounts of drugs, etc to get to that level since they are so busy. Most people with normal jobs cant AFFORD to buy the amount of drugs necessary, nor the FOOD unless they commit a large percentage of their resources to it. The amount of money most people spend on drugs and food for bodybuilding over a 5-10 year period could be a down payment on a house!!!

I bet the amount of competitors has increased but the amount of people who have the genetics and TIME/MONEY to put into bodybuilding to be elite hasn't changed. You have to remember how much time and money it takes to be an elite as well. Most people who have high-paying jobs simply don't have the time throuhgout the day to get all their meals in and take the large amounts of drugs, etc to get to that level since they are so busy. Most people with normal jobs cant AFFORD to buy the amount of drugs necessary, nor the FOOD unless they commit a large percentage of their resources to it. The amount of money most people spend on drugs and food for bodybuilding over a 5-10 year period could be a down payment on a house!!!

Thing is: those who actually have it are winning Jr and amateur competitions on a shitty diet and a single shot of test per week.

Really like this girl. Beautiful, strong and handsome.
I wonder when is this picture taken? How about the woman now?

That's Lisa Lyon - many consider her to be the one of the pioneers of FBB, was the first woman allowed to train in Gold's Gym hung out with Arnold and the gang probably mid -late 70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Lyon
She did some nudes back then which was a big deal...

https://www.google.com/search?q=lis...zbTVAhWCMyYKHV7PBfEQ_AUICigB&biw=1094&bih=511

not sure what she's up to now cause she's like 63.

Speaking of a gold mine video, even though VHS...timeless classic lost in time.
Gold's gym in the early 80's by rich Jansin by his vid camera...
Notice no shakes and literally no water, I started football in the mid 1980's and they with held water from your to make you adapt and get stronger ...lol ,and no head phones for the most part etc.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W0-szPo0d0"]Golds in the early 80s Part 1.m4v - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvgoYs8ROcQ&t=16s"]Golds in the early 80s part 2.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJ4th2BZ2M"]Golds in the early 80s part 3.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x80pNhj2u-8"]Golds in the early 80s part 6.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHlObpA2DCg&t=278s"]Golds in the early 80s part 5.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVXlI-hbLk"]Golds in the early 80s Part 4.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Great thread as always, IAB! Seriously wish you had more time to stay and post more.

Do you still talk to Shawn? If so, how is he doing?

Everything you, MG and Phidias has posted is the real deal. If I posted my thoughts, it would just be a regurgitation of what you guys have written. Too bad we can't just have a whole gym just for the brothers here (and the past) to train and be on the same page.

.....then we can all still go on long mountain walks with Phidias afterward:D:p;):cool:

Ha ha Classic post MR BMJ.......that sounds like a a great idea ......I am going to try and be around and post more . Seeing Massive G and Phidias post has got me interested again .....this last week I had some time and it has been fun to be able to post and look in quite a bit ......I can make time always for training , diet , health , spirituality all day ......the drug stuff ....while is still interesting to me ....doesn't get me too fired up cuz those days are long gone for me . But I understand this a hardcore board and I do like to be informed like everyone else here ....if things stay fun here I will be around .......I hope all is well with you and that life is being kind .

Great posts G .......Lisa was sexy .......and those 80s videos were great ....I think the 80s had a bit of the swinging 70s thrown in to the culture .....that's when chicks flocked to gyms [ unless the gym was hardcore ] but lot of guys were there chasing tail and partying......the difference was to hang ,you had to train hard and have a good physique ..guys didn't eat a lot and were lean because of it . Lots of well built guys, just not many huge dudes or super strong guys [ that came with smarter training as Mike Arnold suggested , bigger food intake , and of course larger drug intake ].....Now, if you have some pink day glow nikes ....some beats by Dre head phones that match your shoes ...a cool back pack ....and a stupid flat brim hat you don't need to train hard or be nice to people to get attention ....just juice hard , have trendy hair dew , and know how to take pictures of yourself ......ha ha

I don't talk to Shawn anymore , but I will always consider him a great guy with unlimited potential ......I saw him a couple years ago .....Looks awesome around 250 very lean .....[ big difference from the over 300 to 320 he carried for so long , looks better than ever ] We were very close and went though a ton together[ he was down as fuck and fearless] . I will always love him . it was like we never missed a beat when I saw him . But he had changed in some ways over time and we are just on different paths .....but the man is a smart guy and I am sure he is doing well as he wouldn't settle for less .

Do you guys Remember Curtis leftler ? Guy was huge and strong .....sadly he died young of a blood clot I believe . I saw him only once at Gold's and he was impressive 6'1 over 300 very lean ......but god was he purple ....it was awful he looked very unhealthy .......Anyway , dante wrote about how he and some of the other guys were using shakes to add size way back in the early 90s .....I still think it is a smart convenient way to go for young guys .....These guys were taking 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight and to get it all in they basically just drank it ......Dante even had a better idea , to add olive oil to increase calories slowly after the protein intake was covered to keep the scale moving and it was healthier with less water than doing it with carbs .....you start out with a table spoon in a shake or 2 and add as needed ..... it was smart imo ....I would probably use udo's choice for a balanced fat product ...but I still recommend the shake diet to kids that ask me how to get big .....4- 6 shakes and 2-3 meals [ some guys use no food ....I know huge former national level guy that hated to eat and cook so he lived off shakes ]

Chris duffy was a huge strong early 90s national champ [ a mess , but a really nice guy ] when he first came back from a long lay off ,he was a vegetarian for moral reasons .....He just used whey protein , milk , and eggs to get to over 300, and to diet down to 263 ,he just switched the milk out for water .....simple easy and he was in better condition than any big super today .....

Dante knew and knows his stuff .....he has always been ahead of the game so if he speaks you definitely should listen .......people trash the protein , and oil thing ....say food is where it is .....shakes are food ....they digest easy and allow more overall calorie consumption .......if you use quality products you won't be bloated .....you may get the runs at first , but a fiber sup and the body adapts in a couple of weeks ....just go slow or you be farting big time and your ladies wont be happy with ya

I remember in maybe 98 or 99 Jay Cutler came into town for an appearance for my friends max muscle . I went to see him and invited him to come by my club after to have a meal . I didn't think he would come [ he was very mellow and reserved,unlike mike mattarazo who years later become a reg when he became partners in a gym in town ], but he did. He looking very large and we went over his diet as he said he wanted to get bigger so he could be a top pro.....he was eating two 20 egg white and oatmeal meals ....and 4 steak and potato meals and drinking 4 to 6 shakes .......even hitting a shake if he had to piss during the night .....the man was a machine .....and that's why he got where he was .....Not many people could do that day in and out .....but I believe he really did [ unlike many that lie ] ......the huge guys win the battle of the knife and fork ......I know I couldn't do that for very long and that was another thing that Dante was way ahead of ......the blasting and cruising .....for him it wasn't all about the drugs like today ...it was about the eating and training as well ....

Maybe dante will chose to chime in on this thread ......not sure as we have lost touch .....but since he isn't training but a few guys anymore , maybe he will share his new ideas in eating for size and in training for mass ......I wonder if things have evolved for him .....he has awesome intuition , I would love to hear him pull the cap off and share where he sees things today

Do you guys Remember Curtis leftler ? Guy was huge and strong .....sadly he died young of a blood clot I believe . I saw him only once at Gold's and he was impressive 6'1 over 300 very lean ......but god was he purple ....it was awful he looked very unhealthy .......Anyway , dante wrote about how he and some of the other guys were using shakes to add size way back in the early 90s .....I still think it is a smart convenient way to go for young guys .....These guys were taking 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight and to get it all in they basically just drank it ......Dante even had a better idea , to add olive oil to increase calories slowly after the protein intake was covered to keep the scale moving and it was healthier with less water than doing it with carbs .....you start out with a table spoon in a shake or 2 and add as needed ..... it was smart imo ....I would probably use udo's choice for a balanced fat product ...but I still recommend the shake diet to kids that ask me how to get big .....4- 6 shakes and 2-3 meals [ some guys use no food ....I know huge former national level guy that hated to eat and cook so he lived off shakes ]
Chris duffy was a huge strong early 90s national champ [ a mess , but a really nice guy ] when he first came back from a long lay off ,he was a vegetarian for moral reasons .....He just used whey protein , milk , and eggs to get to over 300, and to diet down to 263 ,he just switched the milk out for water .....simple easy and he was in better condition than any big super today .....

Dante knew and knows his stuff .....he has always been ahead of the game so if he speaks you definitely should listen .......people trash the protein , and oil thing ....say food is where it is .....shakes are food ....they digest easy and allow more overall calorie consumption .......if you use quality products you won't be bloated .....you may get the runs at first , but a fiber sup and the body adapts in a couple of weeks ....just go slow or you be farting big time and your ladies wont be happy with ya

was a big fan of Curtis back in the 90's. dudes like him, palumbo, d'areezo (sp?) etc... all the freaks. unfortunately Joe Rogan brought up CUrtis on one of his podcasts and just talked about the cliche' shit about juice and Curtis selling to MMA guys and shit. I did the shake thing for a while and got to the point where I hate drinking shakes these days. same with protein bars. I ate a damn protein bar everyday for lunch for 4yrs straight. lol fuck that.

was a big fan of Curtis back in the 90's. dudes like him, palumbo, d'areezo (sp?) etc... all the freaks. unfortunately Joe Rogan brought up CUrtis on one of his podcasts and just talked about the cliche' shit about juice and Curtis selling to MMA guys and shit. I did the shake thing for a while and got to the point where I hate drinking shakes these days. same with protein bars. I ate a damn protein bar everyday for lunch for 4yrs straight. lol fuck that.

Protein bars are such life savers on trips though. Especially outside the USA in countries that are really big on carby foods.

Thing is: those who actually have it are winning Jr and amateur competitions on a shitty diet and a single shot of test per week.

Well that's true. My friend was a WBFF competition (regardless of it being WBFF his physique is insane) on 600mg test e and some anavar. His diet was perfect, but regardless, if he ran more gear he'd be a lot bigger. And this was without growth and insulin since he can't afford the growth, insulin, or much more gear for that matter.

LK3..... hear bro ......Gandhi said, " we must be the change we wish to see in the world " ....and that means we can not change anyone ,but we can be the change we wish to see in others , and maybe we will influence others that cross our paths and they will effect others and so on ........the question is , how can we as individuals help the guys here not only be better healthier bbers , but how can we help them be better people as well ....Every day we must be accountable to that and if we are, things may change here and in time ,they may change in a larger scale ......when I finally launch my book and web support for it, as well as the you tube channel for the project , I will taking care of my end towards society .....and I will be here to cover this one ......we all matter and can have impact . We just have to believe it ......

dude.
no joke some very fucked up irony here. wow.
yes i know those words and have repeated them every day for many years.
uuhhh. gotta pm you.
lol
;)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost