advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Has the scientific community improved training/physics in the the past 15 years?

God creates.

Man discovers.

Has powerlifting records not continually been broken? In powerlifting the sport has definitely evolved, most of the guys preaching these studies are power based trainers.

Just a thought
That and I think the science is simply attempting to figure out WHY some stuff works and why some works better than others. WHAT works hasn't been too secret for over 50 years but I think it's cool when we figure the why of it all.

I personally find the minutia more interesting than necessary, especially for 99% who fail at the basics to begin with.

Yeah. ive read that. Im wondering now about records for raw lifts and if they have gone up a lot in the past 20 years.
In raw PLing, the bench press has seen the most growth. Like Heavyhitter pointed out, the 1000lb mark has been broken by one man in the last ten years (which I completely forgot about). However, I'd still say that more jumps have been seen in benching (if talking about Raw Pling). I pay very little attention at all to geared lifts. On a side note, I don't think there have been any suits that can really help a ton in DL like they can with Bench & Squats in geared lifting, which is kind of interesting.

With the advent of the internet i think that has helped make it easier to find out what works, even though it may not be anything new. 30-40+ years ago when i started lifting the only way for me to find knowledge was to read magazines. And surprisingly what was written it them was not always what people were actually doing or eating. Searching out studies became easier. 30 some years ago i was reading an article about using equipment in a way that was different then what was intended. I started doing these weird rows i thought up. And decades later i see they were actual called Meadows Rows. Go figure. And no disrespect to John as i hold him in high regards. Things keep coming back around. As LATS said earlier everything works to a degree. Eat big, train big and sleep big was a mantra years ago. Now bulking up and getting fat is less popular, as most i know never really did diet back down. How to eat has improved. And drugs are more of a science then they used to be.

With the advent of the internet i think that has helped make it easier to find out what works, even though it may not be anything new. 30-40+ years ago when i started lifting the only way for me to find knowledge was to read magazines. And surprisingly what was written it them was not always what people were actually doing or eating. Searching out studies became easier. 30 some years ago i was reading an article about using equipment in a way that was different then what was intended. I started doing these weird rows i thought up. And decades later i see they were actual called Meadows Rows. Go figure. And no disrespect to John as i hold him in high regards. Things keep coming back around. As LATS said earlier everything works to a degree. Eat big, train big and sleep big was a mantra years ago. Now bulking up and getting fat is less popular, as most i know never really did diet back down. How to eat has improved. And drugs are more of a science then they used to be.
There used to be really good books though, when I was a teenager I hunted down every book on bodybuilding, training, etc that I could find, I loved going to bookstores and searching for new stuff. This knowledge was generally more vetted than the stuff you find on the internet nowadays.

Knowledge back then was passed down from person to person, and people who had knowledge put in a lot of work to obtain it, which meant it was more vetted also.

One of the biggest differences was we slowly learned that didn't work and why- there was a progression of knowledge.

The current state of the internet has mashed everything together, all the old methods, all the new methods, the traditional, the scientific. Combine that with people trying to make money...

Now what people "know" is dominated by groupthink. Groupthink is when everyone is communicating, the second an idea gets a majority positive opinion (even if that majority is small), it becomes "true."

I could give many examples of this but it would just cause people who are affected by that same groupthink to flip out.

If your into the science portion of hypertrophy and what makes things tic you can't go wrong with scott Stevenson book on fortitude training.. it's pretty amazing in detail and why things happen.. worth every cent honestly..

In raw PLing, the bench press has seen the most growth. Like Heavyhitter pointed out, the 1000lb mark has been broken by one man in the last ten years (which I completely forgot about). However, I'd still say that more jumps have been seen in benching (if talking about Raw Pling). I pay very little attention at all to geared lifts. On a side note, I don't think there have been any suits that can really help a ton in DL like they can with Bench & Squats in geared lifting, which is kind of interesting.
Wow, I didn't know someone benched 1000 lb raw. I was familiar with the record set by Anthony, but he had on a shirt. I'm behind the times I guess.

Wow, I didn't know someone benched 1000 lb raw. I was familiar with the record set by Anthony, but he had on a shirt. I'm behind the times I guess.
it's not, I believe it's at 783lbs

There's nothing scientific to training. Use good form with control and go hard until it fatigues... then continue to keep repping lol. IMO. Look at Branch Warren for example. Theres nothing scientific to Branch's training but we can't say it ain't working! That's an extreme example but you get the idea lol

The whole "science" trend is just guys looking for an easier way out of hard work

There is a science to training

But understanding it won't necessarily net the most benefit

Because when it comes to training: Effort > All else

And people are too busy nitpicking small things when the psychotic man in the corner is doing widow maker squats with giant quads

I’ve never found one. Trying to deadlift in a suit makes it nearly impossible for me to get down in my proper deadlift form

And people are too busy nitpicking small things when the psychotic man in the corner is doing widow maker squats with giant quads
I’ve never found one. Trying to deadlift in a suit makes it nearly impossible for me to get down in my proper deadlift form
what about briefs? are they helpful?

what about briefs? are they helpful?
A pair of briefs is helpful in setting the hips a bit and you do get a touch of a rebound from them. But a full suit is just too restrictive for me to even set up on the bar properly

A pair of briefs is helpful in setting the hips a bit and you do get a touch of a rebound from them. But a full suit is just too restrictive for me to even set up on the bar properly
I used briefs for deadlifts and it felt good to me. I never owned a suit. I imagine that you could put the suit on but not put the straps up over your shoulders.

yep, you hit the nail on the head here. Agreed

There used to be really good books though, when I was a teenager I hunted down every book on bodybuilding, training, etc that I could find, I loved going to bookstores and searching for new stuff. This knowledge was generally more vetted than the stuff you find on the internet nowadays.

Knowledge back then was passed down from person to person, and people who had knowledge put in a lot of work to obtain it, which meant it was more vetted also.

One of the biggest differences was we slowly learned that didn't work and why- there was a progression of knowledge.

The current state of the internet has mashed everything together, all the old methods, all the new methods, the traditional, the scientific. Combine that with people trying to make money...

Now what people "know" is dominated by groupthink. Groupthink is when everyone is communicating, the second an idea gets a majority positive opinion (even if that majority is small), it becomes "true."

I could give many examples of this but it would just cause people who are affected by that same groupthink to flip out.
You had a book store to go to? I lived in a county with 18,000 people. And the surrounding counties were not as heavily saturated. We had a library with not many BB books. I did like Bill Pearls Keys To The Inner Universe once i found it. I mostly had mags like Strength and Health, when i could get them. The nearest gym was at least 60 miles away. But i didn't know of any. I had a set of weights. And that is all anyone had. And no one talked about lifting. As lifting weights was going to make you muscle bound, as everyone knows! And most guys benched and worked their biceps and that is it. So i focused more on legs and back to be different and to build strength. Then i discovered the Weider Principles! And it was all uphill from there!
I find that decades ago it was much the same as now, who ever the was in vogue was the guru to follow like Reg Park then Arnold and people did that but then didn't look like Arnold then latched onto the next big guy to come along and the cycle continued. Whether it be Chad, Hany or who ever. it be It took me awhile to figure out that just cause a guy was big it didn't mean he was knowledgeable. I tried to find the common ground that most of the bigger guys used and that worked better. Consistency was what i found worked best. One great philosophy i learned from BBing was read, learn and apply. I used that thinking in other areas of life and found it productive there as well.

I used briefs for deadlifts and it felt good to me. I never owned a suit. I imagine that you could put the suit on but not put the straps up over your shoulders
Probably with a light enough suit this would work. But I can’t even get to parallel in my suit with straps down without weight on my back

Also, individual responses to differences in training methods. Science can’t really explain why some things work for one and not for another
but most if not all people do respond the same. in a controlled study.
we r lab rats tho.
so our results r all over the place i suppose lol

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member