over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Have any of you ever done olympic lifting for powerlifting or strongman

BOLT

Banned
You know, maybe follow a program for a little while centered around olympic lifting. Have you ever seen an olympic lifter? Those guys are truly amazing. I would think perhaps those kinds of lifts could translate to the bench, squat, and deadlift. They strengthen the posterior chain, upper back, shoulders. Let's say you bench, squat, and deadlift X amount. And you clean X amount because you've never really olympic lifted. But you increase 50lb on your clean. Do you think that would show once you go back to the big 3?

Mark

Apples and oranges in my opinion. Some things are the same but overall no I dont think one would help the other.

I know some good olympic lifters who have switched to powerlifting, and are very good, national champions.

But if you want to powerlift, then focusing on powerlifting will be more productive for you.

I do Olympic Lifting, but I do not believe it improves strength for PLing, or the shape of the muscles for BBing

But it sure is FUN! :)

I do Olympic Lifting, but I do not believe it improves strength for PLing, or the shape of the muscles for BBing

But it sure is FUN! :)
The only thing the two Oly lifting and pwrlifting have in common is getting big weights moving off of the floor. But the similarities stop there. Now that's not saying that oly lifters are not strong, of course they are. But the strength is applied in a much different way. If you could convert the weights oly lifters handle to the size of the muscles then you would have the freakiest looking athletes on the planet. But powerlifters are thick, dense and strong. They train almost like bbers but not with the amount of variation to exercises for individual muscle groups or the volume of training. Incorporate powerlifting type movements with some individual isolation moves and you then have an effective platform for growth and strength.

I have started to, but been limited cause of injuries. i have added high pulls, clean pulls, high bar oly squats, overhead presses without the jerk.

i have practiced alot on C&J form, but not with anything heavy, 135-155, and it still sets my back on fire and gets me out of breath just doin lots of doubles and triples.

Travis Mash, was once WPO Middleweight PL champion is training both right now. he keeps a log on www.elitefts.com in the training log section. his PL isnt going to well tho. he trained at the OTC (oly training compound) several years ago for bobsledding and usedthat as his base work. when he switched to PL he pulled 800! once he starts moving the heavy iron again i have no doubt he will be stronger than ever.

Don't know many powerlifters that incorporate the Oly lifts into their regiment but most strongman do. Jesse Marunde entire training revolves around the oly lifts. Raymonds Bergmanis was a top oly lifter before he got started in strongman. Vasily Varstuk and Mikel Kolkehev are both former oly lifters who have done quite well and both incorporate the oly lifts into their regiments. And finally american log press record holder Van Hatfield does oly lifts in his training.

You know, maybe follow a program for a little while centered around olympic lifting. Have you ever seen an olympic lifter?

Yes many, Im one myself.

Those guys are truly amazing. I would think perhaps those kinds of lifts could translate to the bench, squat, and deadlift.

Yes but not in the way youre thinking.

They strengthen the posterior chain, upper back, shoulders. Let's say you bench, squat, and deadlift X amount. And you clean X amount because you've never really olympic lifted. But you increase 50lb on your clean. Do you think that would show once you go back to the big 3?

The thing with OL is that the line of pull for a clean or snatch is totally different than the setup and line of pull for a deadlift. Because of that, youre much better off doing speed deadlifts or something like that to get more power off the floor. Also, when youre DLing, you just need to grip and rip. When you OL, your pull is deliberately slow until you start accelerating at the knew, youre basically trying to jump with weight.

Do a jerk comes from your legs, not your arms. You need static strength to support the weight, but you can train that with OH lockouts if you need to. Even then, the lockout isnt where most jerks fail, its staying upright during the dip and drive.

Snatching MAY help a deadlift if your weakness is off the floor but thats about it. The percentage used on these lifts can be so low compared to your limit strength that its just not all that worth it. Again, speed work from the floor with that grip would help, but you dont need to snatch.

Yes OLers squat, and they squat alot, but we squat differently than PLers, using more quad than hamstring due to depth differences. Also, if youre ever going to use shirts, suits, etc. OL has even less advantage.

So basically, train at what you need to compete in. If you need to bench, then bench and focus your assistance around your weak points. But a completely different sport will not help you very much.

Last thing, the only way I can see OL helping is via the neural system. They can make you hyper-sensitive to firing your nervous system which helps when moving maximal weight, but only if you train OLing for a good length of time. This is why badass Olers like Vasil can do other things like SM or PL because his nervous system is really efficient. OLing is not the only way to develop this though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Olympic lifts are definitly more helpful in Strongman training. We implement OLY squats, cleans and snatches every week.

If you want to be a powerlifter you need to train specificly for Power lifting. You will need to bench in your shirt, squat in your suit and pull in your suit. You will do heavy triples and singles and you will pretty much focus on the three core lifts while doing accessary work secondary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want to be a volkswagon mechanic you better work on volkswagon's ... not on John Deer tractors.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131