over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN COACHED?

11sh11

Featured Member
Featured Member
Registered
Its been on my mind to ask around about experiences you've had with prep coaches.

Ive been competing for 11 years. Have done it myself at first, and have used some prep coaches. Not because I'm not knowledgeable, but because I prefer the accountability, the outsiders opinions, and the learning opportunity. Many know so much more than me.... so i thought.

Ive had some terrible experiences with cut/paste plans completely wrong for my respose type. Coaches who haven't really paid attention even when given precise feedback, coaches who only pay attention to those who are seem to be making them look the best, coaches who only regurgitate what theyve learned from prepping themselves, and big name coaches who gave me the same reply each time, didnt answer emails, and didnt even remember which show I was doing.

So as competitors, we pay these people. Trusting that they know how to look at you and your feedback, and take that information to use their knowledge to make the correct adjustments for fine tuning. Most i have worked with know how to make a plan, know how to adjust that plan, bit dont really seem to know how to adjust it for the individual. I understand that this can take time to come to this understanding, but that often leaves the competitor 1-paying someone to get to know you 2-doing everything the coach says but still not doing better 3-more frustrated than when they started.

A coach expects our payment and 100% compliance. But what expectation and guarantee can be met by a coach? Are there good, educated, experienced coaches that still value the client?

Im looking to start a new program november 1st, and will have been off for 15 months. Not a newbie, and always give 100%. Olympia status is not by goal, but achieving my best winning look is. suggestions or experiences from members (and coaches) who have had positive results, please share. Obviously cannot mention specific people, but please feel free to dm

Last edited:
The best thing about a coach is they offer an outsider's pov. As you know, as a competitor, the mind games really come into play the leaner we get. Someone knowledgeable that isn't in that state of mindf*ckery can really help ;).

The best thing about a coach is they offer an outsider's pov. As you know, as a competitor, the mind games really come into play the leaner we get. Someone knowledgeable that isn't in that state of mindf*ckery can really help ;).

Lol. The voice of reason to the hangry and temporarily delusional

Lol. The voice of reason to the hangry and temporarily delusional
Oh yeah lol. I can't tell you how many times I woke up and was like, "Man. I look great!" Fast forward to the next morning... "Do I even lift???"

I worked with Shelby a few years back.

I was quite the task for him, because I was waaaaay behind from the start.

but he still got me peeled

I learned more in that 16 weeks about the importance of diet and training than in the 5 years of lifting that preceded it :headbang:

I learned more in that 16 weeks about the importance of diet and training than in the 5 years of lifting that preceded it :headbang:
Shelby is a great coach and a great bodybuilder. Good choice.

I did work with shelby 1.5 years. Came into a national show in the worst ahape since i started competing. We worked together a year after that. Placed 3rd at a national show, best place to date, but still wasnt where i needed to be, and had to fill in a lot of gaps myself. A great person for sure, not the results, or communication id hoped for

I did work with shelby 1.5 years. Came into a national show in the worst ahape since i started competing. We worked together a year after that. Placed 3rd at a national show, best place to date, but still wasnt where i needed to be, and had to fill in a lot of gaps myself. A great person for sure, not the results, or communication id hoped for
There are so many great coaches out there and despite them being awesome, sometimes they don't mesh with certain athletes. It's all about finding the coach that works for you.

I feel like a lot of coaches have the belief that their clients are following their advice to a T, and training balls to the wall within an inch of their lives every time their step foot in the gym.

I've helped train quite a few girls in person. I swear as soon as I took my eyes off of them, they'd be on their phones looking at instagram LOL.

and I know for a fact that on the days I wasn't with them, they were training like they were blasting 2g of DNP/day lol.. taking 5 minutes between sets of dumbbell curls.

of course, im not saying anyone here does this.. but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people can train harder than they do.

I feel like a lot of coaches have the belief that their clients are following their advice to a T, and training balls to the wall within an inch of their lives every time their step foot in the gym.

I've helped train quite a few girls in person. I swear as soon as I took my eyes off of them, they'd be on their phones looking at instagram LOL.

and I know for a fact that on the days I wasn't with them, they were training like they were blasting 2g of DNP/day lol.. taking 5 minutes between sets of dumbbell curls.

of course, im not saying anyone here does this.. but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people can train harder than they do.
Completely agree with you here. I've seen it numerous times from my own clients. Can't be with them 24/7 and can only take them at their word.

Completely agree with you here. I've seen it numerous times from my own clients. Can't be with them 24/7 and can only take them at their word.

So true, ive seen plenty of slackers! I live with and train with Asteelz every day... slacking not the issue! Im more likely to tell him to get off the phone haha
I feel in my case, the food plan was off, and measures taken to correct issues were too late, too close to competition, and bounced me to the wrong direction.

I think hiring a GOOD coach is the status investment anyone in this sport can make wether they compete or not but Especially for a contest prep.

I've used several over the years , some worked some.did not , the better ones don't use a cookie cutter diet and training because they understand everyone is different and will respond different.

The biggest issue people have I think is not being honest with their coach about what drugs they take and when the screw up on the diet , you have to be 100% honest.

Look at other people they have coached and ask how they liked them , I can tell right off the bat with a little communication if I'm gonna get along with someone which will make things way easier. If I know there is gonna be tension then I'd look for someone else.

I openly endorse Tenny and Mini Truck here because I've seen what they do for themselves as well as how well their clients do. I personally like the no bullshit painfully honest personality they both have and the views they have on sups and nutrition.

When I ask "how do I look" , I don't want to hear some sugar coated nonsense like they are trying not to hurt my feelings , I want "you're still fat , lass than last week but keep working"
"Coach , so when do I get a a cheat meal" , answer I want "when you less fat"

When I ask "how do I look" , I don't want to hear some sugar coated nonsense like they are trying not to hurt my feelings , I want "you're still fat , lass than last week but keep working"
"Coach , so when do I get a a cheat meal" , answer I want "when you less fat"

If you own a mirror, a camera and knows the answers to your own questions, why do you need a coach?

If you own a mirror, a camera and knows the answers to your own questions, why do you need a coach?

Because our view is often very objective , how many times have we seen guys here that were 9-10% body fat think they were ripped and stage ready , of how many guys have been making great progress in there prep but they don't see it because they are looking in the mirror every day and do something stupid like cut more calories or change their diet.

Even good prep coaches have someone else look at them and help evaluate their progress so it's not an opinion obscured by our over confidence or insecurities with the progression

^ I see...

I ask because guys like Haney and Dorian didn't have coaches and they achieved better condition than anyone on the O these days.

I actually took the plunge recently myself and hired a coach for the first time.
Just told him I was looking to possibly compete again and that I wanted a good pair of eyes to take my physique to the next level.

MORE than pleased with the results so far. Takes all the second guessing out of my hands.

I actually took the plunge recently myself and hired a coach for the first time.
Just told him I was looking to possibly compete again and that I wanted a good pair of eyes to take my physique to the next level.

MORE than pleased with the results so far. Takes all the second guessing out of my hands.
That's the greatest feeling isn't it? Even in the offseason we think we're too "fluffy" or what have you and we can end up spinning our wheels.

Are you looking for a coach specifically for contest prep, or more for basically just like a year round thing to progress in the offseason, and then have them bring you into a show? Some coaches are great at one but not another.

Thanks for the thoughts and info Gunsmith. This is exactly what i was trying to accomplish. Someone who is good, will be straight with you, and understand what theyre looking at and how to make the adjustments. And, someone who can be the voice of reason

Heavyhitter - im good with the off-season. What im looking for is someone who is best at taking someone through a prep and dialing it in

Thanks for the thoughts and info Gunsmith. This is exactly what i was trying to accomplish. Someone who is good, will be straight with you, and understand what theyre looking at and how to make the adjustments. And, someone who can be the voice of reason

Heavyhitter - im good with the off-season. What im looking for is someone who is best at taking someone through a prep and dialing it in

There are several great trainers here.
I know several people that have used Shelby and loved the results as well as Phil , John Meadows and so on. I personally didn't get along well with Phil because I asked to many questions , not because I wasn't sure of what he was doing but because I wanted to learn. I used "AlexA" one time , didn't get the results I hoped for but made a friend.
I think I have a pretty good handle on dieting myself but feel much more at easy having someone else help.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws